Which stove top kettle?

PeterB54

T6 Pro
Hi

I am looking at a kettle for use in the camper on the gas hob or outside on stove.
Wondered what people have gone for as the standard dome shaped ones seem to take up more storage space.
So a square RidgeMonkey is being considered.

Have you thought about a collapsible kettle?

I like that , I have a wee hi gear whistling kettle but does look like the folding kettle is more practical as it obviously will hold more water

Had a variety over the years.
Domed type with and without folding handle simply take up too much space.
Had one of those silicon folding ones. Satisfactory but not great. Took a long time to boil (small base) and then one of the folds sprung a leak.
Now gone for a traditional camping kettle, like the tiny one that I have with my decades old Trangia. Found a decent sized (1.6 litre) one on eBay. Many are rather small (0.8, 1.1 litre etc). Expecting it to provide years of service. Takes up very little space as it fits inside one of our saucepans.
1604072764528.png

we have a vango whistling kettle usable on gas electric and induction hob i don't think that folding kettle can be used on induction hob

Had a variety over the years.
Domed type with and without folding handle simply take up too much space.
Had one of those silicon folding ones. Satisfactory but not great. Took a long time to boil (small base) and then one of the folds sprung a leak.
Now gone for a traditional camping kettle, like the tiny one that I have with my decades old Trangia. Found a decent sized (1.6 litre) one on eBay. Many are rather small (0.8, 1.1 litre etc). Expecting it to provide years of service. Takes up very little space as it fits inside one of our saucepans.
View attachment 89993
Like the look of this one.
looks neat and like it will not take excess space

A family member said after being shown the image of the skwishy kettle, "its unnatural its witchcraft. I don't like that" With a screwed up questioning face. So as interesting as it may be it has received a thumbs down or for those old enough to remember a "Claxton" from "Hit or a Miss" and this was most definitely a miss. "Sorry":laugh:

We stopped using Aluminium pots and pans years ago because of the potential risk of aluminium leaching out into the water. This is more likely with acidic water. Everything here for cooking is stainless steel, or cast iron and never use Teflon either. It is possible the we have something Titanium but can not remember what. Very light but expensive, so not very likely to replace all the other things that need washing up. Guess whose job that is.

Reactions: CAB
It's a bit pricey, but the Le Creuset Zen kettle really is excellent. Its shape makes it super-stable, it's pretty compact as the handle folds down and in terms of quality it's miles better than any 'camping' kettle you'll ever buy - plus it comes in a load of different colours. It also whistles when it's ready which is really handy.

I probably wouldn't pay full price for one, but we picked up ours in TKMaxx!

It's a bit pricey, but the Le Creuset Zen kettle really is excellent. Its shape makes it super-stable, it's pretty compact as the handle folds down and in terms of quality it's miles better than any 'camping' kettle you'll ever buy - plus it comes in a load of different colours. It also whistles when it's ready which is really handy.

I probably wouldn't pay full price for one, but we picked up ours in TKMaxx!

It has a low centre of gravity, it therefore should be quite stable and safe.

I have the Collaps kettle and it’s perfect for campervan use. Was that impressed I have a cooking pot, colander and bucket/watering can (for ad hoc water refills) all from the same range. Brilliant space saving invention.

A family member said after being shown the image of the skwishy kettle, "its unnatural its witchcraft. I don't like that" With a screwed up questioning face. So as interesting as it may be it has received a thumbs down or for those old enough to remember a "Claxton" from "Hit or a Miss" and this was most definitely a miss. "Sorry":laugh:

We stopped using Aluminium pots and pans years ago because of the potential risk of aluminium leaching out into the water. This is more likely with acidic water. Everything here for cooking is stainless steel, or cast iron and never use Teflon either. It is possible the we have something Titanium but can not remember what. Very light but expensive, so not very likely to replace all the other things that need washing up. Guess whose job that is.

Every day a school day!

This has got me questioning my daily coffee routine, with 1 or 2 cups made in the Bialetti per day. Only other bare ally cooking pot is our cheapo Go Outdoors camping kettle which TBH doesnt get used very much p.a.

Should I be worried and change my coffee regime?

Back