Which shed?

Mattn

VIP Member
Am looking for a new shed and there is too much choice.

Around 10ft x 6ft. Or 3m x 3m would do nicely.

I live 1000ft up on Cumbria/ Yorks boundary and it lashes down for 8 days in every 7 and the wind rarely drops below 20mph. Timber sheds want endless repairs, so have been looking at Sealey metal Galv and even plastic.

Max budget is around 800. If I had the time I would build a heavy duty timber version, but not realistic.
Is condensation a problem in metal sheds?

Any recommendations. I’m sure some folks will have some stunning set ups.....

Cheers
Matt

Ps. To save you a job Dell, I have already enjoyed reading your shed solar power story. Excellent!

I’m seriously thinking about one like this. They seem to get very good reviews and best of all, they’re maintenance free.

Am looking for a new shed and there is too much choice.

Around 10ft x 6ft. Or 3m x 3m would do nicely.

I live 1000ft up on Cumbria/ Yorks boundary and it lashes down for 8 days in every 7 and the wind rarely drops below 20mph. Timber sheds want endless repairs, so have been looking at Sealey metal Galv and even plastic.

Max budget is around 800. If I had the time I would build a heavy duty timber version, but not realistic.
Is condensation a problem in metal sheds?

Any recommendations. I’m sure some folks will have some stunning set ups.....

Cheers
Matt

Ps. To save you a job Dell, I have already enjoyed reading your shed solar power story. Excellent!

I'm a bit of a shedaholic and have a number of wooden and plastic type sheds. They catch the wind and rain and it is fair to say that the plastic sheds win hands down. Coming from the blue side of Merseyside it pains me to agree with Ali-G but yes they are maintenance free. The wooden sheds are easier to fit shelving etc to. I have one wooden shed with the old kitchen wall/ base units and worktops screwed to the framework, it makes a good workshop. The plastic sheds have free standing shelving. Hope that helps. Come on you blues!

Yes, metal and plastic sheds do a really good job of supporting condensation, meaning the forks on your mountain bikes and that stack of alloy wheels you were keeping safe over winter will emerge covered in rust and white worm damage next spring... :mad:

I had a metal shed once, nightmare with condensation. A well made timber shed will last for years, I built one for my parents 31 years ago, still going strong, same felt on the roof! I am OCD when I build things though, just built another one in my garden and expect that will last similar if looked after

I bought a 3x3m from garden buildings direct, cost around £700. I bought one with windows but would recommend not doing that as they are useless and I’ve now boarded the gap out.

I lined the gaps between the frame with polystyrene board and then covered with ply.

it’s done a really good job of keeping the damp out and other than needing to be repainted every couple of years I’ve got no complaints.

whatever you put up make sure you have a flat surface to build it on otherwise the pitched roof can be a nightmare to fit!

We used a local company who make them to order - a bit pricy but means you can tailor to suit. Mine is 10x6. @Onion is right about the window so omit unless you plan to work in there.

I built our summer house from scratch and also a thin shed down an unused alley at the end of the house - if you have the time this is the way to go. I keep two cars in the garage so need space for bikes, gardening tools etc!

I've put up about 20 sheds over the last 5 years in sheltered urban environments, (schools) and I maintain them. They are all roughly 8x6 feet. I've used plastic ones, metal ones and timber ones. We now tend to buy mid range wooden sheds, cheap sheds are rubbish, just flimsy thin material with no real structural strength.
In the hostile conditions you describe I still think making a shed yourself from decent timber is the way to go, no pre made shed that I've seen would last very long in an exposed position.

I paid quite a lot for my 8x6 shed as wanted something that would last and still it was very flimsy, the floor was useless and had to cover it immediately and the roof was so thin it started to sag when we had a few inches of snow. I replaced the roof with decent marine ply but actually the panelling has lasted quite well. I gave it a paint during lockdown and it looks great again now.

I do think I could have done it myself for half the price and ended up with something twice as good though (at least it would have a door tall enough so I would keep hitting my head!)

I'm just in the process of building a shed.
It has two walls that sit on the boundry which i dug a strip foundation for, mixed some concrete and packed it in. I then built the two walls out of brick. The other two walls are made from 2 x 4's. I then wrapped the timber part with Protect Membraine. It then get cladded with some Syberian Larch (T&G) It has a little window i bought online.
I'm yet to make the door.. again that will be 2x4's maybe something like a pine... and then T&G panels within.

The key thing is the roof overhangs all around and has a rubber roof on it so its going to last 25 years. (I hope)

:)

The key thing is the roof overhangs all around and has a rubber roof on it so its going to last 25 years. (I hope)
My shed roof has a little leak. I’m debating replacing the roof with insulated polycarbonate and doing away with the window.
Any thoughts on this?

I use concrete godfathers into the ground, bolt 4x4 posts to the godfathers then clad, either tounge and groove timber or the 'crinckly' metal you see on barns. Yes they cost more but very solid and secure and any size you like.

Thanks all. Much appreciated all your thoughts and photos. Some skilled folk about. It is swaying towards a timber self build currently. Like the concrete godfathers for the corners. Top tip that. And the rubber roof.

A slightly refined question; anyone bought a decent timber shed ?

Matt

Back