Which Roof Box?

Sam Lawson

As big as our new Velle is.. it's still a squeeze with 4 kids & 2 dogs.. so i'm going to need to invest in a roof box.

We don't have any roof bars, and the chap at VW said you don't need to get the bars that go the length of the van and stay on there, as with a roof box you have just get the 2 bars that go the width of the van, which i can fit and remove as and when needed. Which will only be when going on holidays with the family.

I like this idea as it'll keep the overall height of the velle down to below the 2m mark meaning there's no issues with height restricted car parks the rest of the time.

Does anyone have this set up? And which roof box would you recommend for the velles?

Cheers

I haven't put a box on my T6, so these recommendations are based on previous experience putting boxes on VW Passat and VW Tourans.

Everyone think Thule are the best boxes but IMO that's not true. Kamei make OEM boxes for some high end German car brands as well as for VW I believe and they are excellent bits of kit.

This place is great, not only for their kit and prices but also for their recommendations: Roof Boxes | Roofboxes | KAMEI, Thule, Kar Rite, Atera | Roof Box
And their package deals Roof Box Package Deals | Save by buying with Roof Bars

I went with a Kamei 470 with Thule bars and the combination served us very well for many years when camping with the kids and dog. Really well made, solid, reliable and tough.
The big boxes are big and a bit awkward to manipulate when off the car, so fitting and removing can be a bit of effort - and bear in mind the storage space needs. When not on the car, mine was strung up in the garage by some straps over the rafters, and we left the bars permanently attached to the box.
One other tip - best to mount it to one side on the roof rather than in the middle, so don't pay extra for a dual-side opening box. If you get a LH opening box, mount it near the left on the roof as it makes it much easier to load and unload - otherwise it will be a real stretch even when standing on the door sills.

I’m on my 2nd Thule roof box - the first was a slick Volvo branded one and the one I have now is a similar aerodynamic shape but a larger capacity . I sold the Volvo one on for not a lot less than I paid for it.

Contrary to above, the ability to open from either side was part of the purchasing decision for me as it makes packing a lot more straight forward and more things accessible without unloading everything. I also make sure I install it centrally on the roof as it looks better and I have always perceived it makes it more aerodynamic. Another feature I like is the click lock system meaning you can attach securely and reassuringly without tools.

Nowadays, it lives on my boat trailer and is used to store and transport all of our sailing gear.

Accessing any roof box on a T6 is going to require a small step ladder.

Contrary to above, the ability to open from either side was part of the purchasing decision for me.....

Proving the old saying "quod ali cibus est aliis fuat acre venenum" (what is food for one man may be bitter poison to others).

Do you put the step ladder into the roof box and then use it to unload and reload the box when returning home?

Proving the old saying "quod ali cibus est aliis fuat acre venenum" (what is food for one man may be bitter poison to others).

Do you put the step ladder into the roof box and then use it to unload and reload the box when returning home?
Glad you added the translation :)

Best get a trailer to carry the steps :)

I’m on my 2nd Thule roof box - the first was a slick Volvo branded one and the one I have now is a similar aerodynamic shape but a larger capacity . I sold the Volvo one on for not a lot less than I paid for it.

Contrary to above, the ability to open from either side was part of the purchasing decision for me as it makes packing a lot more straight forward and more things accessible without unloading everything. I also make sure I install it centrally on the roof as it looks better and I have always perceived it makes it more aerodynamic. Another feature I like is the click lock system meaning you can attach securely and reassuringly without tools.

Nowadays, it lives on my boat trailer and is used to store and transport all of our sailing gear.

Davenjo, do you just use the cross bars that fit directly to the roof of the van? or so you have the roof bars permanently fitted that the cross bars then clip onto? Also what model Thule do you have please? And finally, what total height does it make you? Worth me knowing and writing on the corner of my windscreen in BIG NUMBERS for when my brain isn't firing on all cylinders on long road trips to europe, whilst the 4 kids and 2 dogs beat the crap out of each other in the back.Oh holidays, such fun! I stopped about 2 inches short of a height restriction in our old Touareg with a roof box on a french toll gate last year. That could have been embarrassing.

Davenjo, do you just use the cross bars that fit directly to the roof of the van? or so you have the roof bars permanently fitted that the cross bars then clip onto? Also what model Thule do you have please? And finally, what total height does it make you? Worth me knowing and writing on the corner of my windscreen in BIG NUMBERS for when my brain isn't firing on all cylinders on long road trips to europe, whilst the 4 kids and 2 dogs beat the crap out of each other in the back.Oh holidays, such fun! I stopped about 2 inches short of a height restriction in our old Touareg with a roof box on a french toll gate last year. That could have been embarrassing.
Sorry, can’t help as never fitted to my T6. I think it’s a Pacific box but can’t confirm as had it a few years now and it’s in my garage at home.

As an alternative to a roof box have you considered a back box fitted on a cycle carrier - much more accessible than the roof and no step ladders required :)

Hi guys
We have a holiday booked in st Ives Cornwall in August
Just wondering what roof bars and boxes everyone use (pics would be good).
I have a 2019 caravelle

Thank you

There are loads of threads on here about roof bars, but it depends what rails you have. The standard VW bars are reasonably priced assuming you have standard rails.

Any roof box will do, but access is interesting even with a ladder. We find a narrow one is therefore easiest as you don’t have to stretch so far to get stuff out.

Pete

Here's our set up.
OEM VW bars and 470ltr long narrow box.
Access is awkward and make sure its hinged the side you want to access it if a narrow one
20190711_091234.jpg 20190711_091222.jpg 20190711_091255.jpg

Do I have to have the roof rails and roof bars to fit a box or if I buy a set of roof bars will they line up to the box? I am assuming the fixing points in a roof box won't necessarily line up with the roof bar fixing points on the t6 roof?
I simply want to buy a set of cross bars and a box but I assume I will need to fit rails too?
Thanks in advance for anyone in the know.
Ronnie

Most roof bars can be set to whatever position on the rails you want, then clamped in place. This means you can align the bars with the fixing points on the roofbox, before you clamp them in place on the rails.

Do you have roof rails now ?

Pete

Back