Which Reversing Camera?

@RunDSG Do you mean running it from the gromit in the tailgate all the way to the cab headliner without actually having access to it? I've read that the run from the gromit just into the back of the van is bad enough!
Yup. Depending on your roof, possible. What type of roof? Mines a Skyline Aurora.
If I recall correctly…
- along windscreen to near side A pillar
- above headliner to B pillar
- I don’t know what to call this bit, but inside the ridge all the way to the back. I popped out the round lights to help me move it along
- at the back corner it was tricky finding the grommet behind my rear cupboard but I got there
- then through the hose into the tailgate
- and I brought it back out behind the panel at the base of my rear window

Hardest bit was the tailgate. I used zip ties to find the wire and feed it through. Admitted a job I don’t want to do again but really glad I did it.

I would advise some research into the rear camera. Is it future proof? If you later upgrade your dash cam, can you use the same rear camera?

I THINK my Nextbase camera uses mini-HDMI and I’m hoping this allows that flexibility in the future. I haven’t had a chance to test.

And this requires so much effort, I’d buy the best camera I can afford to avoid the risk that it’s just sh*t in the end anyways.

I don’t know if this is helpful. I probably have some photos…

Thanks, this is encouraging! I have a standard Skyline. Though I'm intrigued how you managed to find the grommet with it being completely boxed in. Did you use rods?

Thanks, this is encouraging! I have a standard Skyline. Though I'm intrigued how you managed to find the grommet with it being completely boxed in. Did you use rods?
Yea I do recall searching around a fair bit. There’s a removable panel behind my rear locker. I think that’s how I found access.

I used a coat hanger. Attached the end of the cord to the end with electrical tape. And I also used long zip ties to find a path and then pull the wire through.

Oh, yes, this brings back memories! Over two years ago!
Ok so an early finish today, some added daylight meant I couldn't put it off any longer. Needless to say it's a chew on but I'm really happy with the result (so far...).

A few top tips
  1. Plastic strimmer cord proved such useful way to find a route as well as use as a pull cord from the tailgate hinge grommet in three routes (into the door, down to the light, and forward down the nearside side of the van at roof level avoiding the pop roof).
  2. The tailgate 'bump rubber thing' can be removed with a quarter turn with an adjustable spanner as a VERY useful halfway point to get round the corner from the base of the rear window into the internal rear door. I found this out after spending 30 minutes battling on with various pulling, poking and encouragement with very tired arms (I had my first vaccination today!).
Camera is in and looking tidy, and the cabling is pulled to the led ceiling light closest to the cab.

While the rear door was apart also took the opportunity to
  • Run a spare cable coiled and taped up inside the rear door all the way to the front - figured even if just used as a pull cable figured a future me might appreciate it.
  • Wired in a push to make 'exit' switch (parallel wired to the outside button) for quiet exit in middle of the night without sliding the door.
  • Filled voids in the rear door with insulation, figured every little helps!

Remaining steps
  • Final cable route from rear of door hinge fish/pull down the passenger a pillar and across to the centre of the dash
  • Cabling up at the head unit. I need to work out where to pick up the 12V live in there too.
  • ODBeleven coding
I've conquered the fear... fingers crossed it works!

View attachment 117681

I've a few (well, many!) other camper conversion things I need to tend to first, but I'll definitely be trying this when I get time and report back when I do.

I reckon my main challenge will be access to the gromit from the inside of the van as it doesn't look like there's a way to get to it.

I have been to my local audio place CEL audio Leicester , used them before so decent company been around for 20 odd years. The guy we chatted with has a transit camper does contract work for Camperking and so our van would be in safe hands.
We wanted a rear camera CEL offered us a pioneer unit which goes over our rear view mirror and not only does rear camera but also features front and rear dashcam
CEL will also fit our barn door storage bags whilst the work for camera is being installed so can’t fault their helpfulness !
The can booked in a couple of weeks which is great as other places we asked around couldn’t get a date for weeks in future

@5harpy You are in luck my friend, I have just today fitted an adapter I found after a good couple of hours of searching! It works a treat though will need some gentle persuasion to get on, in my case a dab of fairy liquid and a VERY light tap with a rubber mallet.

Steel-mate
Thanks mate. I've just received it and will give it a go. However, although it could be the answer I'm not keen on the Wolfbox adapter brackets 2"extra length but it could be my best option. I'm a stubborn old fool though and in a perverse sort of way I'm enjoying this R&D work. As I said to JB26413 in another thread, I have a number of options just don't bust the windscreen! Watch this space. :oops:

Thanks a lot to middle-englander for finding Steelmate. No need for my plan of cutting the arm shorter or making a bigger ball in a 3D machine. Their adapter works great as it is. Simples! :D

PHOTO-2024-03-19-17-17-48 2.jpg

PHOTO-2024-03-19-17-17-48.jpg

Back