Which? Mattress Or Topper

Was the van level? I sleep very well in my Duvalay sleeping bag on a RIB bed but the slightest slope down towards my head ruins any chance of a decent night's sleep.

Haha, yes I started with a headrush due to the van having a slight tilt towards the back, so I spun around to have the blood run towards my feet, but it's the bed and mattress I found really uncomfortable.

Strongly looking at this mattress - Exped | MegaMat | 10 | LW+ | Duo | Ruby Red | Sleeping Mat £249.99

My airbed is fantastic for camping, but it's way too thick too sleep in the van.

Haha, yes I started with a headrush due to the van having a slight tilt towards the back, so I spun around to have the blood run towards my feet, but it's the bed and mattress I found really uncomfortable.

Strongly looking at this mattress - Exped | MegaMat | 10 | LW+ | Duo | Ruby Red | Sleeping Mat £249.99

My airbed is fantastic for camping, but it's way too thick too sleep in the van.
I nearly bought a couple of Exped SIMs a few years ago for using on camp beds in the tent but opted for the Duvalays instead - would be interested to hear how you get on if you go that way.

I reckon with the Kombi mattress, Duvalay and the MegaMat all stacked up it should be much more comfortable, might even be able to drop the Duvalay topper if not needed as it's quite bulky.

I reckon with the Kombi mattress, Duvalay and the MegaMat all stacked up it should be much more comfortable, might even be able to drop the Duvalay topper if not needed as it's quite bulky.
"The Princess and the Pea" springs to mind :)

After trying the 5cm then the 2.5cm versions of the Andes Explora mattresses, neither of which would pack away neatly,
I settled on a 2.5 non-foam topper from Ikea. To be honest it crushes to almost nothing so probably doesnt help that much :)

Can the Duvalay sleeping bags be separated from the foam for washing?

We use a John Lewis 3” mattress topper on the rib, and an exped downmat up top.

Both very very comfy

2.5 Duvalay for us. Sleeping upstairs.
V comfy and keeps the warmth in too when temp drops.
Sits upstairs nicely in day when roof up but have to roll it up for travelling
into a bag sewn by TOH and stores standing up behind the drivers seat when on the move.
LWB with pilot seats and 2 passenger seats behind.
Works for us and no bad backs ….yet!!

I bought one of these for bairn to sleep on in the pop top. But was so impressed with how comfortable it was for so little cash, that I ordered a second for Mrs Donkey and I to use on the rock n roll. Its self inflates if you leave it for a while. Can add a few puffs of air in to boost the foam of you want. Just make sure you folllow the recommendarions to open it out then compress it three times before it's initial use.

Choice of colours, and thicknesses. single or double. I've got the 5cm double version.

https://www.thisisitstores.co.uk/double-5cm-camping-mat-various-colours.html

These thicker toppers, like @Oldrat 's 3" John Lewis, the 2" GB foam etc, how do you find them for storage,
how easily can you roll them up to take up minimum space in the van? I found the 10cm Explora impossible
to compress and roll up neatly, and the 5cm version of the same mattress a major struggle to roll up & stash
behind the back seat every morning!
Both very comfy, but I found them impractical in the camper.
Anyone tried a mattress or topper from
Just 4ft Beds ?

We roll up our two duvets, JL mattress topper and my Exped mattress together and they go on the back of the rock n roll bed against the tailgate.

The bundle is about 20” in diameter. Can compress down to about 15”.

In the morning, we put all the bedding laid out on the flat bed. Roll it up tightly from the front to back. When pressed against the tailgate, slightly lift and rotate the roll bottom towards the front, and top towards the tailgate. That then ensures that it stays in place and doesn’t unroll whilst we rack up the R&R bed, which pins it all in place.
(BTW I also have a cargo net across the back which stops anything falling out when the tailgate is open)
HTHs

Last edited:
We use sleeping bags straight on top of the rock ‘n roll bed, with just a protective sheet between.

When cycle camping and carrying all our stuff we used to use just a 25mm thick Thermarest on the ground, so the van is luxury. But I agree though it could be softer in our advancing years. Maybe we will use the Thermarest on top of the rock ‘n roll, and as they ‘self inflate’ they can be packed to a small size when necessary.

We roll up our two duvets, JL mattress topper and my Exped mattress together and they go on the back of the rock n roll bed against the tailgate.

The bundle is about 20” in diameter. Can compress down to about 15”.

In the morning, we put all the bedding laid out on the flat bed. Roll it up tightly from the front to back. When pressed against the tailgate, slightly lift and rotate the roll bottom towards the front, and top towards the tailgate. That then ensures that it stays in place and doesn’t unroll whilst we rack up the R&R bed, which pins it all in place.
(BTW I also have a cargo net across the back which stops anything falling out when the tailgate is open)
HTHs

This is exactly what we do.

Pete

25mm Duvalay mattress topper and normal duvet and pillows. All rolls up as one onto RIB bed back shelf when not in use. :thumbsup:

Hi all. I’m looking at getting 2 Duvalay for on top of our rib bed. Any idea what size? I’m confused as there’s kids of options. Thanks in advance

Back