Which Fridge?

Having a three way fridge fitted in my conversion by Cambee. Looked at all options and the biggest tick in the box which made us opt for three way was a simple one - three way is near silent when running on gas according to them.

And as my wife is exceptionally noise intolerant, there was no way a noisy fridge a few feet from her head was going to be getting her vote. And since a noisy fridge would also going to lead to a noisy wife, it got my vote as well!
It is (virtually) silent.

I can hear the gas burning if it is quiet, and at night when REALLY quiet I can hear (presumably) the liquid circulating on 240v, but it is incredibly low, Mrs CAB can't hear it, and as it is constant it isn't disturbing :thumbsup:

Reactions: Ozi
Am looking for a compressor fridge - the Alpicool models look decent but there seem to be a few very similar ones on the market (Amazon) etc for a bit less. I assume they are all made in the same factory and then branded? What would yo recommend in the £2-300 bracket? Are Alpicool worth the extra?

I just bought the engel mr040f fridge.
It is a 40 liter compressor fridge that fits behind the passenger seat. My 2 year old daughter Cant touch the ground with her feet so no problems there as she sits behinds the passenger .

It is a compressor fridge without al the fancy digital temperature controls , but with really low bat consumption and it is Well built.

Keep on the 1 setting, anything higher than that Will freeze your food, as you can use it as a freezer aswell.

Will switch auto between 12 volt and 230, and can run of solar.

It runs for 2 days /nights on the standard standard vw leisure battery i have in my panel van. Without depleting it fully

Not cheap but is you look around you van get a good deal on Them. I got mine for 499 euro's.
Hi Alex,
New to VW ownership and looking for a fridge, a good mate of mine into Land rovers and over land adventures recommended this fridge but hasn't tried one.

How are you getting on with it?
Also when you say standard VW leisure battery are you referring to the factory fit second battery?
Thanks in advance.

Pretty certain that mine won’t have two vents though
So after first trip away, can report that it’s a Dometic 3 way fridge I have. Slight noise when on gas, but very slight and certainly not enough to keep either of us awake (most importantly the wife)

Completely silent on 12v or 240v. Have managed 5 days away without needing to plug into 240v at all, using gas at night, and 12v during the day when running around or parked up between journeys. Just gave it a 240v hook up for 3 hours before we left to get the fridge cold, but after that haven’t needed to use 240v.

I do have a 200w solar panel and split charger, so that and driving is keeping the leisure battery topped up well.

Reactions: CAB
So after first trip away, can report that it’s a Dometic 3 way fridge I have. Slight noise when on gas, but very slight and certainly not enough to keep either of us awake (most importantly the wife)

Completely silent on 12v or 240v. Have managed 5 days away without needing to plug into 240v at all, using gas at night, and 12v during the day when running around or parked up between journeys. Just gave it a 240v hook up for 3 hours before we left to get the fridge cold, but after that haven’t needed to use 240v.

I do have a 200w solar panel and split charger, so that and driving is keeping the leisure battery topped up well.
Does it actually run on 12v when parked up? Most 3-way I've heard of only run on 12v with the engine running.

If we are out for the day parked up then we have to put it on gas.

Hi Alex,
New to VW ownership and looking for a fridge, a good mate of mine into Land rovers and over land adventures recommended this fridge but hasn't tried one.

How are you getting on with it?
Also when you say standard VW leisure battery are you referring to the factory fit second battery?
Thanks in advance.
Heej @Pushirons

It has just been performing great, could not recommend it more!

It has been running continuously since I bought it, I put it on stand 1 (ref) and that is way cold. it goes up to 6, but I would think you have popsicles by then.

I have the standard fitted second battery, and I frequently leave the car parked for a couple of days, and the fridge has never turned of because of low battery. so everything is working great.

you can find them pretty cheap online if you search right...

cheers!

Heej @Pushirons

It has just been performing great, could not recommend it more!

It has been running continuously since I bought it, I put it on stand 1 (ref) and that is way cold. it goes up to 6, but I would think you have popsicles by then.

I have the standard fitted second battery, and I frequently leave the car parked for a couple of days, and the fridge has never turned of because of low battery. so everything is working great.

you can find them pretty cheap online if you search right...

cheers!
Cheers, great to know

Anyone got this fridge installed, would you recommend? Looking to buy a 45/50 litre fitted in fridge
taC42E4B58-1A42-4159-A785-462430FE3889.jpeg

Last edited:
We have an Alpicool TWW35 fridge freezer it runs off 12 volt, 240 volt, solar panel and it has a lithium battery that runs it up to 20 hours if no electric at all.
John.
Hi thanks
I’m needing a integrated fridge, that fits in a pre built kitchen unit, but if you’re happy with the quality of Alpicool that’s a good sign

Anyone got this fridge installed, would you recommend? Looking to buy a 45/50 litre fitted in fridge
taView attachment 194027
@Green Giant we've just bought this exact model tonight. It's the same dimensions as the popular Dometic / Waeco 50L. Once it arrives and is fitted will let you know our opinions, although we've nothing to compare it to. 'chambers5' code works on THQ site for 5% off if you do decide to go for it.

THQ fridge arrived today. Looks like a good unit. Like the fact that the door can open either way owing to a clever hinge/handle design. Can't give full verdict until our furniture arrives in July but will update once it's installed.

It passed the wife's test anyway. :laugh:
20230406_175041.jpg

We have an Alpicool TWW35 fridge freezer it runs off 12 volt, 240 volt, solar panel and it has a lithium battery that runs it up to 20 hours if no electric at all.
John.
Hi John, with your TWW35, do you have truly independent temp control of each compartment? Tech spec suggests the larger compartment to be the freezer, whereas we would probably want the larger compartment as the fridge, with the smaller at freezing temperature for ice etc.?

Cheers, Steve.

Hi John, with your TWW35, do you have truly independent temp control of each compartment? Tech spec suggests the larger compartment to be the freezer, whereas we would probably want the larger compartment as the fridge, with the smaller at freezing temperature for ice etc.?

Cheers, Steve.

Yes Steve totally independent temperatures and any configuration of fridge freezer, large fridge small freezer or small fridge large freezer or both as fridges or both as freezers, we are really really pleased with our Alpicool TWW35.
We also bought it from these guys.

John.

Last edited:
Yes Steve totally independent temperatures and any configuration of fridge freezer, large fridge small freezer or small fridge large freezer or both as fridges or both as freezers, we are really really pleased with our Alpicool TWW35.
We also bought it from these guys.

John.
Thanks John - I’ve been looking at that supplier having watched the video you posted before. Is the significance of the TWW35 from these guys @ £450ish vs. the minefield of similar versions/multitude of similar model numbers on Amazon @ £300ish the fact that the TWW includes the battery pack which I think on certain other of the cheaper models is an optional extra purchase?

Back