Which Caravan Club?

RachSmall

Hey guys,

Myself and the wife have just bought ourselves a T6 redline conversion which we will hopefully be collecting next weekend. I have a couple of friends who have their own caravans/campervans too, and they have all recommended joining the Caravan and Motorhome Club, or the Camping and Caravan Club.

So here comes the questions...
Are any of you part a club? If so, which one?
Will we benefit from it?
Which is better?

We aren't flush for money considering the purchase, so we want to make going away as cheap and stress free as possible. Any advice, hints or tips would be much appreciated :)

I've done both and extensively used the Caravan and Motorhome Club. The C&MC by far have the cleanest shower blocks and nicest sites, but...they are now fiercely expensive, often have overly regimented wardens (although they are trying to address that) and have a heavy bias towards middle aged couples with no kids. The sites are usually immaculate, but often (not always of course) one neighbour won't speak to another and that's even more likely to happen if they are in a caravan.

We are now in the C&CC and the shower blocks aren't as nice (they could be but the members seem less inclined to clear up after themselves), but it is cheaper and the atmosphere is friendlier, but...some sites can get a bit leary with all of the young kids kicking about just being kids on holiday. For the most part we wild camp anyway or use the Certified Sites (C&CC) or Certified Locations (C&MC) which offer much better value but often less facilities. Both the CS/CL's are the same, usually smallholder making some pocket money. Usually £8 and up per night.

Horses for courses, both have definite pros and cons. You can use both as non members, you just pay a bit more. Have a trial few nights at each and decide which works for you.

There are also pubs that allow you to stay in their car parks for free if you eat or drink there. Some have facilities. Check out www.searchforsites.co.uk and the various Facebook groups.

We are members of the camc no complaints about the sites, facilities are always excellent and clean. We also use an esso fuel card from them for the van and our car it gives you cheaper price for fuel at Esso stations its a pretty good deal.
However I would say that some of the sites can be a bit expensive but annual membership fee is only about £55. We have used C&CC sites as well and they are as said above not quite to the same standard but not too bad!

Depends on what you want from a site? Are you after large (expensive) sites with shower/toilet blocks or small (cheap) (max 5 vans) with very limited services? Been to a few CL sites and never been asked to show our membership card so probably won't renew this year.

We have been members of both Clubs and I would agree with the above. When good clean facilities are available it costs to provide them. Either Clubs are ok for a few nights but I agree it gets expensive for longer periods. We do sometimes overnight in a car park or other safe area; it can be convenient for where you want to be, but it’s not always fun or the making of a great holiday.

One difference we have noticed between the two Clubs’ sites is C&CC lock their gates overnight whereas C&MC seems not to. So if you are out for the evening, which is far more likely in a T6 than some giant motorhome, you can’t get back onto a C&CC site after 2200 hours.

Searchforsites and ACSI will direct you to good sites, including free and discounted.

For us yes but mainly for the smaller CL/CS sites, though saying that we're yet to be asked for our membership card.

Ah, you mean “The Friendly Club” :rolleyes:. We are members and sites are ok. We also sometimes use their Temporary Holiday Sites, which can be useful, in short doses.
We also joined the C&MC because there was a particular site we wanted to use. As ex tent campers, ironically we prefer it. The sites are generally more expensive but are better located for us and have better facilities. Their IT systems are better too.
As with all things, only you can decide what is right for you.

We have been members of C&CC for donkeys years due to their sites always having clean facilities not always modern but clean but due to the restrictions now and having to use our own toilet and shower at certain CCC site we're having second thoughts on renewing and using sites were the facility conditions dont matter anymore so not restricting us to certain areas that CCC have sites basically the wife's got over her phobia of clean facilities as were using our own

Ah, you mean “The Friendly Club” :rolleyes:. We are members and sites are ok. We also sometimes use their Temporary Holiday Sites, which can be useful, in short doses.
We also joined the C&MC because there was a particular site we wanted to use. As ex tent campers, ironically we prefer it. The sites are generally more expensive but are better located for us and have better facilities. Their IT systems are better too.
As with all things, only you can decide what is right for you.
C&MC? Apologies this camping is all new new to me

A different advantage of the C&MC in our experience of their sites is that unlike the C&CC they don’t lock you out (or in) after something like 2200 at night. That may be ok with a caravan or giant motorhome but limiting with a ‘day drive’ T6.

C&MC is the Cartavan and Motorhome Club formally known as the Caravan Club
I made a big mistake joining the C&MH Club just to get access to one campsite for one night, then Covid came along. I don’t think I’ve ever had so much crap through the letterbox from any other organisation! Load of old bollocxs.

I made a big mistake joining the C&MH Club just to get access to one campsite for one night, then Covid came along. I don’t think I’ve ever had so much crap through the letterbox from any other organisation! Load of old bollocxs.
I was a member, that ran out just as the lockdown started. I didn't have the auto-renew and they are still pestering me to renew my membership. I may, once I decide to use their facilities again. The sites are well kept but you do pay for the privilege and the membership fee now at £55. The best thing about the C&MHC is, you can book a site, if there are vacancies, and don't pay any deposits. So if you find you can't go then its just a matter of canceling or swopping to another site.

When we have visited the UK we have always used CCC sites. Most hire places are members but we would have joined anyway if it had been required. They are well located, clean and with usually modern facilities. Many are close to transport which is great with the parking challenges that sometimes come in the UK.

Highly recommended.

I was a member, that ran out just as the lockdown started. I didn't have the auto-renew and they are still pestering me to renew my membership. I may, once I decide to use their facilities again. The sites are well kept but you do pay for the privilege and the membership fee now at £55. The best thing about the C&MHC is, you can book a site, if there are vacancies, and don't pay any deposits. So if you find you can't go then its just a matter of canceling or swopping to another site.
The no deposit idea is bad news as we found out trying to book up their sandringham site and no full weeks available so booked a year in advance and when got chatting to a site manager about she agreed it was bad as people book 3/4 weeks worth and only go the 1 good weather week and cancel the other 3 so it's open to abuse

Back