Which bike rack should I get for 4 cycles?

Annie

Hi, can anyone recommend a towbar attached bike rack for 4 cycles that tilts enough to be able to open the tailgate on a T6 Caravelle.

Do you mean one that sits on the tow ball? I have one made by Hollywood that bolts to the bodywork behind the tow ball (you have to remove the tow ball to fit it). It does pivot (has a removable split pin which allows the whole frame to fold down). However it is very heavy when you have bikes on it as easier to pivot it without bikes. Although you don't need any additional fixings I always tied the part carrying the bikes to the car as it is such a big load. Don't know whether the bracket that fixes it to the car would impede the door on a Caravelle opening. You can leave the bracket in and remove the rest of the carrier but just removing one bolt. It is gathering dust in the shed as we have a Thule 4 bike rack on the back of our T6.

I have the Thule 929 it's a 3 bike carrier with the option to add a fourth (although not sure I would put an adult bike as the fourth) and it hinges to allow tailgate to open with bikes in situ ?

Thank you all for the info, I'll check these out. The towbar is VW fitted removable Westfalen and yes I'm looking for bike rack that tilts enough with the bikes still on to open the Caravelle tailgate.

I've not got one yet, but will be buying the Atera Strada as I've seen it recommended loads of times

Does anybody have any experience or comments on the Uebler i21 (- 90 degree tilt for T6's etc) ? ...apart from the fact that it's so expensive.. ;-)

Does anybody have any experience or comments on the Uebler i21 (- 90 degree tilt for T6's etc) ? ...apart from the fact that it's so expensive.. ;-)
First time I've seen it - looks like a well thought out bit of kit though. Looks like you would have to twist the handlebars to clear the back of van??

First time I've seen it - looks like a well thought out bit of kit though. Looks like you would have to twist the handlebars to clear the back of van??
not sure to be honest, not on the photos...but maybe they're using bikes with conveniently short handlebars ;-)
i21-90_Grad-VERSION_T6_2-R%C3%A4der-1030x831.jpg
i21-90_Grad-VERSION_T6_aufgeklappt_2-1030x831.jpg

Lol - even with the conveniently short handlebars on those e-bikes it looks like the handlebars are in contact with the window.
well spotted! It looks like they need new people in their marketing dept. ;-) a quick twist on the bars is no problem though

We have the Westfalia 2 bike rack, it tilts to allow the tailgate to open....but the tailgate catches on the handle of the bike rack!

I've got an Atera Strada with the additional track to hold a fourth bike, it's surplus to requirements now I've got the van with VW rack though so if anyone is thinking of buying one let me know.

Can I ask please what the max tail weight is for a T32 LWB and more importantly what people recommend as the max weight. I’m thinking of the Thule cargo carrier.
Thanks

Depends on the spec of the tow bar - most seem to be rated for around 75-100kg of downforce. Position of this sort of weight on the back of T32 shouldn't be a problem.

Back