Where Are The Aftermarket Full LED Headlights

Bryn23

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Well its almost the end of 2019, and after doing more research on replacing my candle headlights, i though i might of seen someone selling a full aftermarket LED headlight unit.

Now i do realise, that without auto levelling and the other requirements needed they would be for off road use only....

But, we are already seeing HID kits and LED bulbs being used anyway on the road, rightly or wrongly.

It would be nice to see someone step up and make a full aftermarket LED light, as people would like a better option than retro fitting aftermarket H7 headlights with LED and HID bulb kits.

I'd look at retro fitting a VW led kit of it wasn't so pricey, as the parts here in Aus are $$$$$$$

LED light bars can only be run on high beam over here, you can't run high beams just to see at night with other cars on the road

I've been holding out for someone to release a full LED aftermarket headlight, seems pointless to buy after market H7's and fit LED or HID bulbs to improve them.

I've been holding out for someone to release a full LED aftermarket headlight, seems pointless to buy after market H7's and fit LED or HID bulbs to improve them.

Although I love the exclusivity of factory LEDs, I have always wondered why full LEDs haven't been developed as an aftermarket part.
I'm aware there is a copyright issue if you replicate the headlight, but surely they can be developed to not look the same. Unless the testing and approval rules are different for LED headlights.

LED light bars can only be run on high beam over here, you can't run high beams just to see at night with other cars on the road

I thought you said off road use ;)

But on a recent Youtube video I saw a light bar that all the elements could dip and main...

Sorry Loz, i meaning the that current options for increasing light output, are for "off road use only" in regards to HID bulbs and LED bulbs

Not that anyone, really takes note of that on the packaging :laugh:

it would just be nice to have a full aftermarket LED headlamp, to end my days of T6 darkness.

The simple reason is because OEM LED headlights generally have only just caught up to OEM/aftermarket HID standards and aftermarket LED is yet to catch up, but it's here so expect another couple of years before led headlights start being sold aftermarket.

I won't go into too much detail about halogen/hid/led differences but they all use different point light sources and as such the reflector bowls inside the projector housing need to match the light source.
Hence Muppet's put hid bulbs in halogen reflectors and blind everyone.
HID has had 30 years of development and really become perfect in aftermaket applications over the last several years. Look at Morimoto D2s 5.0 and the nhk g5r hid projectors, very good.
LED projectors have their led light diodes and drivers built into the projector so no bulbs to change and as such arnt developed yet and as not as good as xenon hid. Morimoto mled bi led projectors are very good but lack the hid width and high beam and the 2.0 version has just been announced which is what I'm waiting for to retrofit into my car.

Most oem led lights use the koito bi led projectors, osram led driving projector or an unnamed valeo one in the t6.

Give it a few more years to catch up.
If you are a dedicated headlight retrofitter then you can have the best of the best right now like the koito bi-led and morimoto mled 2.0 but unless you want to wait for aftermarket mass manufacturers lights.

Great post Ratty,

I wasn’t aware that that there were LED projector retrofits out there.

I guess in a few more years we will see an aftermarket led set with these types of led projector setups.

it can’t come soon enough, the h4 candles are quite rubbish

Has anything changed since 2019? Like Bryn23 I want to fix the badly scratched headlight lenses on my 2007 V6 Multivan. Any ideas? Does polishing them work and does it last? I park my car at home facing west so it gets a lot of Aussie sun on the front of the car.

@Melbourne Vic can't answer for my van yet but years ago Volvo wanted £400 a side to replace yellowed headlight units on our XC70 workhorse. With nothing to lose I had a go myself.

Ignore the videos about toothpaste, decent units have a hardened UV outer layer that you are only going to remove with one of the kits that have sand paper discs. It's terrible at first as it feels like destroying them, but as you move to finer grades and the polishing stages it gets better. One thing to watch is go steady, if you try too hard you can overheat the plastic and melt a swirl mark into it (ask me how I know) and go back to the start.

When you've done it make sure you have some UV sealer and give them a good coat.

I've done the XC70s twice since as they are a little softer, but I just use some glass polishing compound to touch them up and then more UV sealer. About every 2 years or so.

Back