Where’s This Bit From? . . . . Tonight’s Quiz

The EGR injects inert gas into cylinders to reduce oxygen concentration of the fuel/air mixture, which slows combustion, which leads to a reduction in the peak
combustion temperature, which reduces nitrogen oxide emissions. Lambda sensor provides long term feedback for EGR to keep oxygen level as "low" as possible.

NOx sensor is purely on exhaust aftertreatment side - provides feedback to AdBlue system to clean the leftover NOx emissions.

I have no idea what I’m talking about but noticed the rpm and rail pressure dipping, could these really be affected by EGR flap alone? I’m thinking something more mechanical like compressor or something in the clutch. Or maybe VGT flexing as commanded charge pressure peaks?

Edit: switchable water pump solenoid could make such noise and affect rpm as pressure changes. By looking at scope graphs it’s hard to tell which change comes first and which are reactions.

Last edited:
True chicken-egg problem! My thought has been it's all EGR driven, which causes significant/sudden change in air flow, at the same time ECU tries to maintain steady RPM which in turn causes the rest - e.g. fuel pressure and charge pressure jump around.

The data was logged almost 5 years ago - everything brand new then.

Anyways, something similar was mentioned here

True chicken-egg problem! My thought has been it's all EGR driven, which causes significant/sudden change in air flow, at the same time ECU tries to maintain steady RPM which in turn causes the rest - e.g. fuel pressure and charge pressure jump around.

The data was logged almost 5 years ago - everything brand new then.

Anyways, something similar was mentioned here
Indeed. Yours sounds much more like sharpish clunk rather than a woosh in the other threads. Also idling vs slightly increased rpm. But could there really be two separate mystery sounds with similar frequency? :unsure:

I don’t particularily wait for detecting similar in my van although I must admit this is VERY intriguing and it would be really interesting to see if internal CAN or larger set of advanced measuring values could fork out some insights.

Back