When you want it all, but don't want to pay full price.

the hard way

So my problems was, I wanted, a people carrier, campervan, 4 x 4, with goodish performance, AND economy. With good spares and information back up. For not too much money, and that will not depreciate too much in the first say 3 years.
Easy.
So after much thought, watching of auctions. I purchased, 2019 LWB front line campervan, with twin turbo diesel engine, 4motion, in orange, with 44,000km FSH. Stage 2 tune and lift kit fitted, and a number of extras. For £6,800 or $12,500 au. Plus fees. Towing extra. Flood damaged, Engine seized. No water inside fused box in engine bay or interior. Can never be put on road, so will need to be reshell as to put.. NOW. What would you advise I put all these interesting bits into...are there differences in the chassis of a front wheel drive and a 4motion? if I use say any damaged repairable caravelle built after 2015? Everything will aline up and drop in as, forest said, like two pees in a pod.
There are available to me cheaply 2011 ish transports LWB with same engine, but blown up, with usal EGR faults...is that the way to go?

20220113_183525.jpg

20220113_183730.jpg

20210731_140018.jpg

Interesting project from our friends on the other side of the world :)

The main differences on a 4motion will be the gearbox, prop and rear suspension/diff. I would suspect the engine is the same or similar as the FWD version.

As you say, loads of interesting, and expensive, parts on that which could be moved over to another LWB van.

Such a shame that the rules prevent you from putting the shell back on the road with a new engine, it's ironic that you are allowed to re-use the engine, which is a non runner, but the body which is OK can't be re-used.
Anyway, you've got a very interesting project ahead of you, please keep us up to date as you take it forward!

Surely all the water would have run out being upside down?

Seriously why can't it ever be put back on the road??

Back