Wheelchair Access Camper

Dan77

Hi,

We require a vehicle that meets our severely disabled daughters needs. Started thinking about wheelchair accessible vehicles but if I'm going to remortgage the house to afford one then it may as well be a camper and we can really enjoy it as a family. It will also help with personal care as changing places toilets are few and far between.

So I'd like to get a T6 which is wheelchair accessible via the side door. Our daughter is only 5, so it will be easy enough for us to assist her in and out. I don't think a lift is needed. I was thinking of a very simple adaptation like this Disabled Access - VW T5 Camper conversion company - Volksleisure with all the necessary anchors for travelling in the wheelchair behind the passenger seat, without taking up the required space for the usual camper conversion.

I may contact Volksleisure as they appear to be the only people with such a solution posted online. Their conversion prices do seem to be at the higher end though and affordability at current prices is an issue for us. Ideally I would like to source the van with the conversion as a single transaction as I believe we would be entitled to it VAT free due to the wheelchair adaptation.

I've also been in contact with Dirty Weekender who say they have done VAT exempt vehicles before and are local to me but they're already booking into next year. They have a good reputation though and I may well be back in touch with them depending on what I can find.

Has anyone else done anything similar or do they know of any companies that would be interested in supplying a new van with these unusual requirements? I have searched the forum initially and not found anything.

Thanks.

Hi Dan, we are looking for similar. Have you looked at this company? Might be more than you need.

Yes, I've looked at those but starting from £59,950 is a problem, especially as you can never settle for the 'starting from' spec. Presumably that's a vat free price given that it's specifically for wheelchair users. I think the wheelchair adaptation on these is more than we need. I don't think we need or want a heavy ramp/lift. Just something that we can manually position and push her up.

Last edited:
@Dan77 you might want to consider a Crafter. The photos on converters websites make the vans interiors look massive, that is not the case with a T6.
T6 prices aren’t exactly value for money either.
You could try this company, not the cheapest and not the most expensive.

I would love a Crafter but it needs to be a daily drive for the wife and there is no way she would be able to do that with a Crafter.

Back