Wheel bolts and Spare Wheel

Littleblackflash

Auto Engineer
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I've been so lucky I haven't had a flat tyre or I would of been stranded. My van came with 20" Wheels and a 16" spare which isn't ideal but I hoped it would get me home.

I've recently fitted new brakes to the front of my van so I needed to swap my spare for a 17" steel to clear the calipers. It arrived yesterday and easily fitted into the spare wheel holder which is when I noticed a problem. To remove the spare wheel, you need a 19mm hex socket which comes with the van, but my 20" wheels need a 17mm hex. So I'm unable to get my wheels off with the 19mm hex wrench supplied by VW.

To make things worse, the bolts for the alloys are tapered and the steel wheel needs a rounded seat, so I don't have any bolts which I can use to bolt on my spare! I've now ordered new wheel bolts for the alloys with 19mm heads and 5 standard VW bolts for the spare wheel. Until they arrive I've relying on the AA if I get a flat.

Don't get caught out if you have different wheels.

I carry a tyre string kit that can help in some circumstances, like a nail in the tyre etc.

I had the same problem but now carry one of these….
As well as 5 vw bolts
03AB9A0D-D84B-4DA0-83B1-482F2A02745B.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry a good quality sliding T with a couple of tubes, 4” extension and a six sided socket. Putting the torque through one bar can cause the locking wheel bolt key to tilt over and then you have a problem.
Putting the torque through two bars 180 degrees apart with both arms is better.

I've been so lucky I haven't had a flat tyre or I would of been stranded. My van came with 20" Wheels and a 16" spare which isn't ideal but I hoped it would get me home.

I've recently fitted new brakes to the front of my van so I needed to swap my spare for a 17" steel to clear the calipers. It arrived yesterday and easily fitted into the spare wheel holder which is when I noticed a problem. To remove the spare wheel, you need a 19mm hex socket which comes with the van, but my 20" wheels need a 17mm hex. So I'm unable to get my wheels off with the 19mm hex wrench supplied by VW.

To make things worse, the bolts for the alloys are tapered and the steel wheel needs a rounded seat, so I don't have any bolts which I can use to bolt on my spare! I've now ordered new wheel bolts for the alloys with 19mm heads and 5 standard VW bolts for the spare wheel. Until they arrive I've relying on the AA if I get a flat.

Don't get caught out if you have different wheels.
Where did you buy the 17inch steel spare wheel as I am looking for one? Thanks

Where did you buy the 17inch steel spare wheel as I am looking for one? Thanks
Paisley Freight ship for under £20…

Hi,

I've had these in my garage for about a year and never got round to doing anything with them, would be good as spares or for restoration.

Free to good home (to first person that messages me directly) as long as you collect and take all three.

Came from a 2016 t32 Shuttle and removed as I bought a complete new set with tyres.

No centre caps or bolts

Thanks

Robert

View attachment 140336

View attachment 140337

View attachment 140338

View attachment 140339

Back