Wheel bolt spec. for Range Rover / BMW alloys

DarrylDunn

T6 Pro
I have purchased a set of 20” Kahn alloys for when my new van arrives. They are off of a Range Rover/ BMW . I have already purchased the required spigot rings, and I understand I will have to also buy new wheel bolts.

my question is, all the sites I look at reference Ran

Same thread diameter and thread pitch, but the length of the bolt varies with wheels depending on the thickness of the hub. For max strength you need at least the same thread engagement as the diameter of the thread you are working with, but as a rule of thumb you should target 1.5 times.

aftermarket wheels usually need a taper seat bolt and not a radius like the standard ones are.

Range Rover wheels need the strange shaped sleeves as seen on the link above.

Can you explain what the spigot rings do here? I have a T6.1 and am looking to use some RangeRover 19" wheels, just want to be sure I get the right wheel bolt kit.

The Tamar ones are out of stock. Is this something I can get from ebay? Like these:

The wheel should sit on the centre of the wheel hub, the idea being that the weight of the vehicle is transferred through the hub to the wheel on the spigot and not be taken by the bolts holding the wheels on (the wheel bolts should only be used to hold the wheel to the face of the hub, not be load bearing in any other way), a spigot ring adapts the size of the hub to the hole on the inside of the wheel so this weight transfer can be maintained.
On a vehicle that uses bolts into the hub rather than bolts sticking out of the hub, the effect is that you can spin the wheel on the hub purely by the wheels interaction with the spigot centring the wheel on the hub, this is where the weight transfer should be, it also aids in ensuring you don't get terrible vibrations whilst driving from a wheel being off centre in relation to the hub.

Last edited:
The wheel should sit on the centre of the wheel hub, the idea being that the weight of the vehicle is transferred through the hub to the wheel on the spigot and not be taken by the bolts holding the wheels on (the wheel bolts should only be used to hold the wheel to the face of the hub, not be load bearing in any other way), a spigot ring adapts the size of the hub to the hole on the inside of the wheel so this weight transfer can be maintained.
On a vehicle that uses bolts into the hub rather than bolts sticking out of the hub, the effect is that you can spin the wheel on the hub purely by the wheels interaction with the spigot centring the wheel on the hub, this is where the weight transfer should be, it also aids in ensuring you don't get terrible vibrations whilst driving from a wheel being off centre in relation to the hub.
Great reply and explanation - thank you.

Back