Wheel bearing replacement cost

Grainfoot

T6 Pro
Always when you go away.
Rear wheel bearing needs replacing and I'm on the Isle of uist. Could hear it gradually getting worse and now don't fancy the long drive home with it.
Found a garage in the island and they are replacing tomorrow. Fingers crossed should be ok to get home then.
How much should I be expecting to pay for a rear wheel bearing replacement and why has it gone after doing only 30,000 mile.

R8N XX

T6 2016
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Mine has done 21k a 2016 and I have replaced both front ones myself.
rears are easier as no shafts unless u have a 4M

it took me a few hours on the first one but then it was easier.
I think I have a rear one Out too. How’s ya luck.

Grainfoot

T6 Pro
Two hour job at most and 4 hours later I am still sat at garage on Uist.
For some reason they have taken wishbone off to get bearing out.

DXX

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Wait until they tell you there’s no spare bearing available but the local blacksmith will make one!
I guess they are making hay when the sun shines. Piracy still exists in some parts of the world.

Niall.b

VIP Member
T6 Pro
theres a special puller for these. Obviously the garage has taken the wishbone out to use a floor press to remove/fit the bearing instead

Cymro

VIP Member
T6 Pro
...probably because the wishbone can be used as a good bearing driver - 2 hour job and 2 hours to find a rock!

1631625673589.png

• Haha
Reactions: JOG

JOG

Limp Member
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Too much grease.
Not enough grease.
Wrong grease.
Incorrectly adjusted when installed.
Contamination.
Wheel spacers / wider tyres than stock putting additional moment on the bearing.
Did you forget “driving”?!!

DXX

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Did you forget “driving”?!!
Hah, oddly enough bearing life is fairly predictable if in service. Issues with reliability arise when bearings are static in the same position, everything is vibrating.
Brinelling, have a read of this just before bed…..zzzzz.
Many a pump, motor, etc has failed after being in storage for say 10 years and having never been turned.
Vibrating Balls JOG, handing it to you on a plate.

• Haha
Reactions: JOG

JOG

Limp Member
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hah, oddly enough bearing life is fairly predictable if in service. Issues with reliability arise when bearings are static in the same position, everything is vibrating.
Many a pump, motor, etc has failed after being in storage for say 10 years and having never been turned.
I must decline - I need some “me time” right now as I am fretting the false brinelling! (See what I did there?!!)

Reactions: DXX

Paynewright

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I’d keep an eye on tyre wear as one of the rear wishbone fixings is eccentric to adjust toe in. Hopefully they marked it up before removal but its not an exact science

Grainfoot

T6 Pro
Well it done now £316 hopefully get us home.

theres a special puller for these. Obviously the garage has taken the wishbone out to use a floor press to remove/fit the bearing instead
That's what they used

Bet that's what caused it to go. Lockdown inactivity

I’d keep an eye on tyre wear as one of the rear wishbone fixings is eccentric to adjust toe in. Hopefully they marked it up before removal but its not an exact science
Thanks will do