Glenn Board

VIP Member
T6 Pro
hi, one of my wheel arch’s is scratched so think of covering it up with a set of wheel arch spats, I don’t want them to stick out any further something like a stick on plastic protector, I can’t seam to find anything online, any advice please?

Considering purchasing a set of external black wheel arch trims, as sold by various retailers. One company I spoke said that they are stuck on with an adhesive which effectively makes them a permament addition. I read somewhere that they can be stuck on with 3M double sided tape, so if i change my mind at a later date they can be removed. Has anyone any experience of fitting these and would sticking them down with tape alone be sufficient?

The set I bought came with 3M tape and 2 sachets of what was probably sikaflex adhesive. You clean the van and then wipe over a primer for the 3M tape.
Apply the sikaflex between the tape and apply to van.
I found the trim became a permanent addition to the van as soon as it touched the paintwork. The 3M didn't want to let go when I got my trim slightly squewiff. It will now bug me forever :(

I agree with the above. I've been using 3M double sided tape for years on number plates, and they can be a sod to remove.
A good tip is to use a panel wipe over the area you're adhering to0, and warm up the panel.

Having stuck down awning brackets on a van roof before with Sikaflex I then had remove the mounts and the remnants of Sikaflex. (Awning was faulty). I can atest to what a b*gger it is to remove. I ending up using a razor blade to shave it off the bodywork. Hence my reluctance to use it on the arch trims.

There looks to be quite a bit of tape on the back of the trims. Do you think by adding some more this would be enough to hold the trims on. Or is it a case of just use the Sikaflex and stick it down properly and perminently.

We use Sikaflex on the machines we repair,if we have to remove excess we use break cleaner.
this is the only thing we have found that will break it down enough,but be careful of your paint.

It sticks like s**t to an army blanket .

Having stuck down awning brackets on a van roof before with Sikaflex I then had remove the mounts and the remnants of Sikaflex. (Awning was faulty). I can atest to what a b*gger it is to remove. I ending up using a razor blade to shave it off the bodywork. Hence my reluctance to use it on the arch trims.

There looks to be quite a bit of tape on the back of the trims. Do you think by adding some more this would be enough to hold the trims on. Or is it a case of just use the Sikaflex and stick it down properly and perminently.
To get a perfect fit you need the sikaflex(didn’t use what they came with) you have to tape them etc to ensure the edges fit without gaps. I also use plastic clamps and let each one set before moving to the next.
1C7CC802-498F-4D58-8CD2-E6DD6FED12E0.jpeg 75BA6B82-5F2F-4A95-A94F-2A9081BCA8A9.jpeg D4C61898-1EEF-42D9-AA2D-5960B005C138.jpeg 9850E60D-9C22-4769-A219-3D5C3C5F4DFA.jpeg

Last edited:
Depending on the colour of your van, mine is white and because you have to leave a little gap to allow the door to open the white underneath shows through. Hindsight a great thing but I wish I'd put some black tape on this before I fitted them. No probs with a darker colour though.

20191215_142255.jpg

Depending on the colour of your van, mine is white and because you have to leave a little gap to allow the door to open the white underneath shows through. Hindsight a great thing but I wish I'd put some black tape on this before I fitted them. No probs with a darker colour though.View attachment 56415
you could caulk that edge with a bit of black silicone/silaflex.

Hi, where did you get yours? Im looking for SWB twin slide door and it looks like the genuine kit is only available for single sliding door.

Back