Wheel Alignment

BennyBoy

Mountain Biker
VIP Member
T6 Pro
So just been ringing around to find a place to do my wheel alignment after being lowered on Friday and so far Kwik Fit and ATS have said they cannot do a lowered van due to them not knowing the correct specification once lowered.

Where have people had their van wheel alignment done in the past?

Get it put to 0 degrees.. Dead ahead.. But you NEED the camber checking & adjusting, apparently this can be done with the power flex bush kit.. Do a search engine n forum, as been up before..

I have a lease car for work, and their tyre dealer used to be Kwik fit but is now ATS. Wouldn't take my own vehicle to either of them.
Last set of tyres that went on at ATS, I walked in asked the fella to check the tyres to see if I needed new ones, he walked round the car never even used a test gauge and declared I needed 2 new ones. Either he was totally awesome, or totally s*#t.
So not in the least bit surprised they claim they can't do your van - bullet dodged I'd say.

So, very interesting, if not frustrating visit to the Hunter 4 wheel Laser alignment today. Wasn't sure if this should be a separate Hunter thread as quite important experiential data here (@Pauly ?? ) :

1) First off , the Hunter software asks you whether you are Full Load', 'Half Load' or 'No Load'. No definitions of each category are provided and the operator didn't know precisely what Hunter meant by that. You are left to assume/guess (it does state that Hunter is to be done with a full fuel tank only)

2) Once decided which load category you are in, you must then know whether your suspension is : 1BA, 1BL, 2MF, 1BJ, 1BB, 2MG, 2MK, 2ML, 1BV, 1BC, 2MH, 1BQ, 2MD, 1BH, 2MQ, 2MR, 2MT, 2MU). Nightmare, when you don't know this before your appointment. It tuns out there is a data sheet on the inside front cover of your Owner Manual where this code for your vehicle can be found .... amongst a mass of other similar looking codes. Obviously, you must get this right for the alignment to be correct.

3) The Hunter then detects you have had the vehicle lowered and stops the process to request you manually enter the corrected readings from the suspension manufacturer ........ by now I'm steaming :mad::mad:

So, in order to get some value from the session we decided to get the readings using the available unmodified standards for my van in the Hunter software already. If that was of any value. Everything was in the 'green' except rear driver Camber. It was borderline but of course you can't adjust on T6's anyway.

I am left feeling this is all a load of Boll***s :

- You must have a full tank of fuel .... what if you have an 80ltr upgrade !?!?!

- correct adjusted alignment data from the suspension manufacturer ?? What if you're running Air?. You can't have readily available data for every ride height you might select !?! Bilsteins ?

- no account was taken of 4Motion or DSG which drastically change weight and will also certainly affect where your van 'sits' on your chosen springs

Just a few of my observations. I'm certainly convinced, holes in the Hunter 'accuracy' story everywhere.....

Back