Whats everyones' thoughts on a type of semi conversion?

eddieb123

Hi all,

I bought my t6 last year, a 2018 T32 Highline custom Kombi tailgate model, one sliding door, usual 3 and 3 seating arrangement. Love it , but seeing all the posts has got me thinking about converting. I don't think I want a full conversion as we have a big dog and I use it for a lot of practical stuff and need the storage area at times. I would however like the option of a one night stay over vehicle that can sleep four(two adults two kids). I'm thinking of getting a pop top added and a rock n roll bed in the rear on rails so I can move backwards and forwards when I need it. Would also like a power outlet that I could plug in a kettle or something but do not want a full kitchen conversion. Whats everyones' thoughts on this type of semi conversion? All the pics I see seem to be full conversions not many partials. I also do not want to spend 10k on getting this done, more around 4 or 5. Is this realistic? Does anyone have any recommendations of companies who could do this (seats and pop top) in the south east that do not charge the earth? Or would I be better off getting it done separately? Appreciate all responses.

Keep your rear seats, get the van lined and leisure electrics added, then add a kombi bed such as the Forty Winks or Van King. That lot should be within your budget and leave you with a usable day van with a full width bed when you need it.

Keep your rear seats, get the van lined and leisure electrics added, then add a kombi bed such as the Forty Winks or Van King. That lot should be within your budget and leave you with a usable day van with a full width bed when you need it.
Wasn't aware of that option. I thought that type of bed was custom made by the owners. Interesting. Many thx for the suggestions. Will investigate further.

Hi all,

I bought my t6 last year, a 2018 T32 Highline custom Kombi tailgate model, one sliding door, usual 3 and 3 seating arrangement. Love it , but seeing all the posts has got me thinking about converting. I don't think I want a full conversion as we have a big dog and I use it for a lot of practical stuff and need the storage area at times. I would however like the option of a one night stay over vehicle that can sleep four(two adults two kids). I'm thinking of getting a pop top added and a rock n roll bed in the rear on rails so I can move backwards and forwards when I need it. Would also like a power outlet that I could plug in a kettle or something but do not want a full kitchen conversion. Whats everyones' thoughts on this type of semi conversion? All the pics I see seem to be full conversions not many partials. I also do not want to spend 10k on getting this done, more around 4 or 5. Is this realistic? Does anyone have any recommendations of companies who could do this (seats and pop top) in the south east that do not charge the earth? Or would I be better off getting it done separately? Appreciate all responses.
I have a SWB with a Cailfornia seat, the rail system is good and the seat bed comfortable but I only get 1.5m van length for storage with the seat in the fully forward position.
The California seat lifts out but it’s very heavy even after stripping components off, not something you want to do on a regular basis.
IMO big dogs and Transporters are a struggle, I’ll take cover now.

What you're after is quite common, but doubt you'll get done what you describe for five grand. As @BognorMotors says above look into kombi beds which utilise the folded kombi seat. As part of the bed structure.

A good poptop roof installation will swallow most of your £5k. Reimo do a "City style" furniture that is slimline & doesn't eat up much width. You could also look at something like an Egoe nest box which is a quickly removable unit which gives you the essentials for a weekend away.
Roamer | Egoé nest (egoe-nest.eu)

What you’re looking for is similar to how I use my van. The main difference being i don’t have kids (they are grown up) so my van only needs to sleep 2. I have a Kombi and want to keep the seats as I use them a fair bit and I like being able to use the van for different things and i use the load space quite often. I also have a dog.
As others have suggested there are a variety of Kombi beds you could use, these will accommodate the adults and a pop top will provide the sleeping space for the kids (Or you could get a drive away awning for either adults or kids).
I have an Ovano system in mine. For my needs this is perfect, it folds down to make a full size bed whilst retaining the Kombi rear seats and doesn’t compromise on storage space, in some ways makes it even more usabale as you can load the drawer up and then load up the bed platform as well.
This is just one option but may help show what can be achieved with a Kombi. Good luck.

90F303A4-560B-4963-ABAA-E8AFC8D96655.jpeg0A559173-DDC9-43A0-91CF-1A49F5C9AB14.jpeg31B8FB2D-8797-4401-9FE3-D702548F7F7B.jpeg.

I've probably spent about 5k on my semi conversion, including 2nd hand exploria bed, full carpet lining, insulation, sound proofing , electric hookup and 12v leisure battery setup, swivel seat bases and wind-out awning. Also got a planar diesel heater in to. Decided not to go for pop-top as my van is a bedroom and sitting area only, wont be cooking.
Savvy shopping can save you loads and if you can make your own stuff, so much the better.IMG-20210228-WA0000.jpeg

We also went semi convert ...but sadly was not brave enough to make myself ... only us two ( temporary dogless :cry: ) but the basic pod is just storage and a full size bed....the beauty of any conversion no one is right and no one is wrong:)

5BE95F0F-B2C2-4B37-BE0D-8C8BD928A57E.jpeg
622047FC-F58F-4AD2-A786-B4905485F73D.jpeg

Cheapest option is to just buy a tent, even a decent trailer tent will be better value for money when trying to accommodate 4 people plus a large dog.

We still camp with our teenage kids. The van is ideal for lugging all the ‘essential’ camping paraphernalia. When they no longer want to join us we’ll convert to have a kombi bed and have an adjoining drive away awning tent. Main reasons - we dont like sleeping on the floor on air beds and we have no plans to cook / wash up in the van. We dont want a pop top.

We spoke to a guy at a show at Malvern summer 2019 (shows - remember those!) who was on his third van. He said dont bother with a fitted kitchen as you have to take the bed down to do anything. In the morning all I want is a cuppa to take back to bed he said! He had a few slimline cupboards and a bed.

Thats my thoughts anyway

We still camp with our teenage kids. The van is ideal for lugging all the ‘essential’ camping paraphernalia. When they no longer want to join us we’ll convert to have a kombi bed and have an adjoining drive away awning tent. Main reasons - we dont like sleeping on the floor on air beds and we have no plans to cook / wash up in the van. We dont want a pop top.

We spoke to a guy at a show at Malvern summer 2019 (shows - remember those!) who was on his third van. He said dont bother with a fitted kitchen as you have to take the bed down to do anything. In the morning all I want is a cuppa to take back to bed he said! He had a few slimline cupboards and a bed.

Thats my thoughts anyway

I'm the same as there is no chance I would ever cook in the camper as it's just so much easier to have a utility tent outside. I've gone for a day van / kombi with a removable bed. This allows me to use the van as an actual van and also an occasional camper.

We have a dog and a teenage son, can't imagine all of us sleeping in the van, never mind having to cook inside too.

You really don't need a pop top, as you're just looking for sleeping space. At £3K+, it's a huge spend per night. They are a pain to get up into to sleep and getting out for that loo break wakes everyone up. Swivel front seats and an awning would be more sensible in my opinion, with a kombi bed, like the Exploria mentioned above. It sounds as though you want the full van space at times though, so I'd look at Amdro or similar - much lighter, takes less space and easier to remove. Some electrics, with leisure battery under the drivers seat and maybe a Cambee kitchen pod, though that's probably going overboard too for occasional use and lack of space with 3 seater bench. Going back to your original question, a sliding RnR bed and pop top will give you little change from £10K, with electrics and other bits.

I am going to do a semi conversion. I’ve bought a bed frame from Kombi Nation. I will remove panels and insulate behind them. Then I’ll carpet them. Will keep the metal exposed as 99% of the time it’s a work van. I’ll take a camping stove and a chemical toilet, probably get an awning. Should be fine for a few nights here and there.

We have a "day van" set up rather than a full on camper.
Decided against a pop top.

If you attach an awning rail you can all sleep in an awning.
Awning rails are available that simply bolt into existing captive bolts in the roof gutter. Very easy to fit. No drilling into van.

A roof top tent is another option for sleeping.

We also did not want a full on kitchen. We have ordered a pod from EVO Designs for the back of the van, that can be lifted out when not required. Again, no permanent fixings.

Stitches+Steel Awning Rail DSC06963.jpg

evo-design-rear-kitchen-pod-vw-t5-t6-2-1-510x383.jpg

Back