What's behind here? Drilling for cab-divider

rolling_stone

T6 Pro
I'd like a cab curtain - I know you can buy them, but I have a load of black bungee cord, and black-out fabric, so I thought I could DIY one... also, I'd rather have the flexibility of not having it there all the time... just hooking it up when I want to use it.

SO my plan would be to have two hooks - one at each side, and just hook the end of the bungee cord on (with the 'curtain' pre-threaded) each time I need it.

My questions are: in the photos attached, is it metalwork in the areas marked? Is there anything likely to be behind there that I can damage? I've never put a screw directly into metal - are self-tapping screws as easy as that? But then would I be able to remove the screw and screw in something neater like a black hook?

Or... has anyone got any better ideas???

Thanks in advance.

IMG_2349.jpeg
IMG_2348.jpeg

There are some wires running behind the metal work, but if you dont drill a pilot hole and just use short, self tapping screws you should be ok
I've just stripped mine out ready for carpet lining so have attached a photo of the area, hope it helps

Screenshot_20201024-210656_Gallery.jpg

To save drilling you could get some magnetic hooks...

To save drilling you could get some magnetic hooks...

:D What a great idea! This forum is ace.

The Nearside (passenger if UK spec van) has all the vehicles wiring loom running along that roof channel. Be very careful if drilling on that side, one slip could be expensive. :oops:

@rolling_stone
Here’s my solution, works well, you already have two plastic hooks on the standard B pillar trim.

OK so it took 13 months to get me arse into gear to take some photos and upload. Here‘s my stealth blind, it provides absolute and complete blackout between the cab and the rear. This has allowed us to sleep in many places where overnighting is not exactly encouraged to say the least.
The photos were taken in bright sunlight, at night the blind is more convincing from a view through the cab windows / windscreen.
Fastened to the B pillar trim with HD stud fasteners and at the top with a zip attaching to the fabric access cover to the Reimo roof. Most of the loading is taken on the standard plastic hooks near the top of the B pillars.
Initially the curtain was installed with a horizontal pole sat in the two plastic hooks but this was unnecessary and is no longer used.
It is possible to unzip the top and allow some ventilation from the cab area with the windows lowered slightly within the wind deflectors.
There is a small ‘pocket’ at the lower nearside to allow access to the internal light switch.
All materials were sourced from Ebay; stainless steel stud fastener kit, blackout curtain fabric, fabric webbing and a decorative self adhesive poster for that sun rise wake up experience.
My lady is a bit of a magician with a sewing machine but this one almost tipped here over the edge trying to get the best fit and make it completely light blocking.
View attachment 83580View attachment 83575View attachment 83576View attachment 83577View attachment 83578View attachment 83579View attachment 83580

The Nearside (passenger if UK spec van) has all the vehicles wiring loom running along that roof channel. Be very careful if drilling on that side, one slip could be expensive. :oops:
Good advice, thanks. And the magnets won't interfere with any of the wiring does anyone know?

@rolling_stone
Here’s my solution, works well, you already have two plastic hooks on the standard B pillar trim.
This looks ace - but beyond my sewing skills! haha.Was thinking of some HD poppers though - are they just glues to the B-Pillar? It's not quite clear on there what your hooks look like at the top of the B-Pillar... I had thought of that as another solution, but wasn't sure they'd still firmly enough...?

You can see the hooks on the photo from earlier in the thread, this maybe a kombi thing if you don’t have them.
Studs are screwed in.
It is possible to make up a folding tent pole to go between the two pillar hooks, I did this originally but it’s not needed in my case.
I decided on a curtain for 100% light block and as far as possible make the view from outside the cab appear like a dark van, that made it a bit more complicated.
If you just want some privacy without blocking light it should be much simpler.

1603625757871.jpeg

You can see the hooks on the photo from earlier in the thread, this maybe a kombi thing if you don’t have them.
Studs are screwed in.
It is possible to make up a folding tent pole to go between the two pillar hooks, I did this originally but it’s not needed in my case.
I decided on a curtain for 100% light block and as far as possible make the view from outside the cab appear like a dark van, that made it a bit more complicated.
If you just want some privacy without blocking light it should be much simpler.

View attachment 89249

Ah, okay... I don't have the hooks then - must be a kombi thing :confused: I'll maybe a search online for them. Thanks.

I did this to mine.
Its very handy when I've been out on the boat as it gives some privacy in the back to get changed.
Also handy for a bit of a kip in the back if its been a long day.
I always keep my magnetic curtains in a box in the back of the van.
7DC67E9B-09FC-4128-A623-582EE7C17FC9_1_201_a.jpeg7DC8F970-DF6E-4D2F-949C-39D72203B9DB_1_201_a.jpegB488ACAF-479C-4C16-9F48-8F3D05587E6C_1_201_a.jpeg5F344125-C403-495C-9531-551C54E13AA9_1_201_a.jpeg

Back