WhatCar Camper Van Comparison

apc67

Just read the latest edition of WhatCar Magazine where they did a camper van comparison between the VW California, Merc Marco Polo and the Ford Nugget. Merc came out on top with VW second - good article and comparison though.

Really don’t like the Marco Polo. Think the nugget will get there though, with a bit of tweaking.

Really don’t like the Marco Polo. Think the nugget will get there though, with a bit of tweaking.
Aren't the Nugget and Marco Polo both built by Westphalia for the respective manufacturers? I agree on the Marco Polo, but that's more to do with cab layout. It will also be intersting to see what happens if the transporter / transit shared manufacturing goes ahead.... Ford prices for VW spares sounds good. If we got the tranist reliability witht he VW resale values I'd take that too, let's hope it's not the other way around.

What's going on with that Marco Polo bed seat? It seems to fold straight down so all the lumps and bumps from the seat shaping are facing straight up onto the bed, looks crazy uncomfortable.

We have worked on Marco Polo and while nice vans, a few things I was surprised at. 1, no insulation behind the lower unit, just a water tank against outside metal skin… Shelving etc. very flimsy, many bare edges on show. not much storage. The rear seat folded independently, good idea but they were easily mis aligned and then needed aligning. The factory ones are all probably the same I suppose. I still think a good converter can do a better job workmanship wise.

We have worked on Marco Polo and while nice vans, a few things I was surprised at. 1, no insulation behind the lower unit, just a water tank against outside metal skin… Shelving etc. very flimsy, many bare edges on show. not much storage. The rear seat folded independently, good idea but they were easily mis aligned and then needed aligning. The factory ones are all probably the same I suppose. I still think a good converter can do a better job workmanship wise.

Yeah, it does look rather like it’s designed for show rather than maximum practicality. Having said that, I suspect the same is true of many high end T6 conversions too. The fashion for curved edges and surfaces everywhere is clearly suboptimal for space usage.

Yeah, it does look rather like it’s designed for show rather than maximum practicality. Having said that, I suspect the same is true of many high end T6 conversions too. The fashion for curved edges and surfaces everywhere is clearly suboptimal for space usage.
Precisely, I’ve lost count of the amount of customers wanting furniture with flowing curves, it’s not until I explain the loss of space this generates that they simply change their minds and go for more traditional shapes maximising space.:thumbsup:

Precisely, I’ve lost count of the amount of customers wanting furniture with flowing curves, it’s not until I explain the loss of space this generates that they simply change their minds and go for more traditional shapes maximising space.:thumbsup:

Yeah exactly, we were offered a more expensive version of our conversion with curves on the edge of the kitchen surface. In practice this would mean you lost a significant proportion of the already limited kitchen space and you'd constantly worry about knives etc sliding onto the floor! Completely bonkers...

Back