Which base vehicle for a day-van?

PhilB@1

Hi there. Currently looking at getting some sort of T6 to make into a day van. Basically I am after something like the California Beach, so a bit like a Caravelle with a pop top.

Can’t work out what would be the best base vehicle. A LWB shuttle or a LWB Kombi. Requirements are auto and at least the 150bhp engine. Luxuries like heated seats and electric sliding doors would be great too.

We wouldn’t be doing the pop top straight away so would perhaps look at a bed system from Van King for about a year and then look at a pop top. I know there are pluses and minuses for the Kombi and Shuttle as a base vehicle but some of these opinions seem to be more relevant if you are doing a full conversion with kitchen and cupboards etc which we don’t want.

I would want to ditch the Shuttle style seats at some point for better Caravelle style seats that could also act as a fold flat bed. Would want it to be a Caravelle style 7 seater but with the pop top option. Obviously the Shuttle would function better as a people carrier than a Kombi (Im assuming) but would have issues with fitting a pop top. Would it be easier to get a Kombi and fit rear windows and flooring and rails etc sto make it like a people carrier

I once read somewhere that the factory vehicles such as Shuttle/Caravelle/California are more refined due to the factory insulation etc than aftermarket conversions. Does anyone have experience of the different vehicles to comment on this?
Any advice on what base vehicle would be great as I would be looking at 2016/17 models.

Shuttle would give you car speed limits so would be my choice but may be heavier on tax/insurance.

Just check your figures though as if you want to put caravelle/beach refinement into a shuttle it may be cheaper buying one of those to start with. I would need imagine they would hold value better also.

I have a 2019 Lwb shuttle SE DsG and find it good for refinement. The shuttles seem to be cheaper than vans and kombis.
I sold all the seats out of mine and had caravelle runners and seats fitted.
I had a custom fixed rear shelf made so the seats marry up to made a bed, like a large 'multiflex board'...

20210429_165728.jpg

20210502_121414.jpg

Hi
Can somebody tell me why water drips out of a pipe at the back of the bulkhead under the bonnet of my T6 after it’s been on a journey, without the air con on.

Hi
Can somebody tell me why water drips out of a pipe at the back of the bulkhead under the bonnet of my T6 after it’s been on a journey, without the air con on.
Is your direction control on the windscreen (12 o’clock position)?

Hi

If you want a Beach then get a Beach on PCP for three years - that way you get thr van you want, if you have any issues at all you can throw it back to VW, you can get another one after 3 years and while you don't own it you've have got everything you want!

Back