What Price To Pay For New T6 In Australia?

ChesterD

Hello I'm a newb in many ways and I'm hoping to put a deposit on a T6 this coming week. It's my first Volkswagon and it's my first brand new vehicle and it's my first time buying from a dealer. Eeek. Looking for some advice on what price to aim for. I'm not looking for a bargain- I just don't want to pay too high a price. I'm not interested in buying through a broker or driving 100km to find a better price. This is a van with extras that will need to be built in Germany and shipped (takes about 5 months to get here!)

From the research I've done on here and elsewhere I should aim for 8-12% discount from a big dealer. I have a few questions in relation to this:

1. How does this info which is mostly UK specific relate to Australia?
2. What about "On Road Costs"? What should I pay for this confusing bunch of costs and how does it relate to the discount I should be able to get.
3. If I'm ordering a van with extras that needs to be built does this affect the discount?
4. Using their finance- I don't think this affects my bargaining power?
5. From what I've read I can use extras as a bargaining chip.

Here is what the dealer I want to buy from is quoting for the price:

TDI340 DSG : $41790
On road costs: $5579
Total: $47369
"Discount" price: $41990
(basically he said he was giving me the On road costs for free)

I asked another dealer and they quoted the same price and pretty much laughed at me when I asked for $37000. I realise that was maybe too low but he didn't even come back with an offer. He seemed like the world's worst car dealer though, so there's that.

I also want to spend about 5K on extras.

So assuming I choose 5K worth of extras the total RRP (including "On roads" which confuse the hell out of me) is $52369. Already they seem to be offering this at $46990. Can I get better than this? On road costs seem over the top at 5.5K.

What do people on here think I should be paying for this? Any advice and especially anyone who has bought in Australia would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I've just ordered my van, so good timing!

1. I don't think it's an easy comparison. The only usable comparison is if someone is ordering the same van with the same extra's in Australia.
2. On roads (usually) = registration + stamp duty + dealer delivery
3. Yes. Buying a vehicle that is in stock or having a choice of in stock vehicles give you greater bargaining power. Ordering a one off custom makes it harder.
4. No. I would look at all options - at this point all you have to do is pay a deposit (I paid $2k, but you could haggle for lower), so you have 5 months to organise and find the best finance.
5. Yes and no. All that really matters is that you are happy to pay the final price.

The $46990 price seems good - a 10.2% discount is great!

Do you have that quote in writing? If so I would give that price (verbally unless they ask to see it) to other dealers in your area and ask them to beat it.

What extra's are you looking at?

For info, my spec is -
- TDI400 4Motion SWB DSG
- Pure Grey
- Comfort Pack
- Fixed window centre left
- Rear Diff Lock
- Rubber floor in cargo area
- Hardboard side panel trim
- 2nd Battery
- Alarm
- Reversing camera
- Towbar
- LED Lights

Total was $60600 (after $4524.77 discount - approx 7%) - Melbourne/Victoria.

I was pretty happy with that - I obtained 7 or 8 quotes from dealers. It was one of the lowest quotes (before discount), and I used the best/lowest quote and asked them to beat it.

Hope that helps! Anything else?

Thanks Whale, very helpful! 5.5K just seems a lot for on road costs. But doing some research I understand them better. Of course the "dealer delivery charges" part of it seems like a laugh. How much did you pay for "On road costs" if you happen to know?

I din't know I could just pay the deposit and then worry about finance later. That's great.

What I'm ordering for sure (I'm not sure if we have all the same choices as UK customers in this regard):

- Acapulco Blue
- opening window centre left
- dust seals
- rear view camera
- H7 lights (I think this needs to be part of a package) I would go LED but can't see myself driving at night much.

What I'm still contemplating:

- rubber floor covering for rear
- alarm
- adaptive cruise
- comfort dash
- wood panelling

There are so many options I'm probably gonna miss something by the time I order but I'll never order if I keep thinking about options.... I don't even know what rear diff lock is! I'm gonna basically spend the next few days researching and talking to dealers full time and hopefully order by the end of Friday. I don't see dust seals on your list. Is that because it's already included or not available to Australians? I keep reading on here they're a must have especially for $50 or whatever they cost.

This is going to be a work vehicle with the barest minimum of comfort for camping trips. (I will simply build a removable bed so I can sleep in the van one or two nights). I am not a big earner but I do believe this car will help pay for itself through the signage I put on it etc. I want to keep cost to less than 45K all up if possible.

In the UK we have to add 20% of the commercial vehicle cost as VAT to the price, which is our tax, but at the prices above i'm assuming you guys don't have that system down under, because converting your final prices to UK pound wouldn't buy you a 2nd hand T6 with some of that spec above, specially the 4motion and with LED headlights.

Welcome both of you by the way :thumbsup:

Thanks! Those prices include a 10% GST which is our general tax on all new goods. As a business I am registered for GST so effectively I would get that 10% back through tax returns. Often things are much more expensive in the UK than here because our dollar is so crap.

You can claim back the 20% VAT if you're VAT registered in the UK but that's a whole other conversation that takes some head scratching to fully understand.

I should add that VW are giving away 5 year warrantys at the moment (rather than usual 3) on floor stock and so I'll see if I can't get that thrown in at the end. It seems like a good thing to hold up my sleeve as the final bargaining chip as in effect it costs them nothing for at least 3 years so psychologically they are more likely to throw it in.

Doing a search on here I'm not seeing much discussion of people taking out extended warrantys. Seems like something worth considering.

Oh thanks for some reason that didn't come up when I searched. Must have spelt something wrong. Cheers.

Anyone in Australia have experience of getting the extended warranty?

Last edited:
Oh great... Hopefully no significant price increase. I should find out tomorrow. I have about fifty questions for the salesman... My god VW could do a better job of making all the options easy to figure out.

Thanks Pauly. Nice signage on yours btw! I'm thinking something similarly simple yet brash on my Acapulco blue van.

Thats not on there anymore we just did it for a while when the van was on display at Busfest to promote the forum when we were starting out

I should add that VW are giving away 5 year warrantys at the moment (rather than usual 3) on floor stock and so I'll see if I can't get that thrown in at the end. It seems like a good thing to hold up my sleeve as the final bargaining chip as in effect it costs them nothing for at least 3 years so psychologically they are more likely to throw it in.

Doing a search on here I'm not seeing much discussion of people taking out extended warrantys. Seems like something worth considering.

As you said, this applies only to vehicles delivered before 31st December?. Most other brands are now offering that as a standard, so fingers crossed it’s offered to us! Definitely try to get it though, that’s the one thing that slipped my mind when negotiating when I signed.

As for your options, have you used Volkswagen’s configurator on the aus website? Some of your options are not available and some others are part of never ending ‘you must add this *** if you want this’.

https://www.volkswagen.com.au/app/c...transporter-van/70161?page=trim&postcode=3067 (Change your postcode to suit - but it seems VW pricing is not working at the moment anyway)

- dust seals (UK only? Easy to do by yourself)
- H7 lights (UK only? I think it’s H4 or LED only for us)
- comfort dash (UK only - don’t get confused by ‘comfort package’ that’s something else)
- wood panelling (this is hardboard? - not sure that’s wood)

I checked out that configurator a couple of weeks ago but I guess I forgot about it and read so many stories on here of people getting options that weren't obvious in the literature that I just started making my own list from anything I came across! But yes I'll probably discover we have less choice in Australia. Luckily the important things are available.

- dust seals (UK only? Easy to do by yourself) Yes not important
- H7 lights (UK only? I think it’s H4 or LED only for us) I have to at least ask- LED's just too pricey for me.
- comfort dash (UK only - don’t get confused by ‘comfort package’ that’s something else) Good point. I should probably not worry about that option either way.
- wood panelling (this is hardboard? - not sure that’s wood) Yes you're right. I'm not sure if I should get the hardboard panels. It's for sound proofing from road noise and insulation when camping but maybe I'm confused about how helpful it would be on both counts. Any thoughts on this?

Well I'm off to the dealer now to find out if there has been a price increase this month (eek) as well as see about H7 lights and get a quote hopefully...

Oh and too much looking at vans on here has got me adding the "coloured bumpers" option damnit.

Ordered! Not interested in faffing about. In the end went with options:

Acapulco Blue
Sliding Window left
Alarm
Reversing camera
Coloured bumpers
Rubber floor cargo area

Total RRP including
T6 $41790
Extras $4372.73
On roads: $5939
Total: $52101.73

I paid: $45490
Discount of 12.7% off RRP.
Seems good but I really have no idea as I think VW have lowered the price to dealers at the moment which is part of the reason the price might seem better than it is. Anyway if I got ripped off just don't tell me please.

Thanks for the help- especially you whale.

My white MY17 multivan had nothing but I got the Gold Coast dealer to do tints and throw in a set of Amarok 18s for $49800.

Our silver MY18 Multivan has heated leather/suede sport seats (a must have option for $1500!), and we had tints and Amarok 18s added as well and I think it was $52ish

Back