What length electric hook-up cable?

Sportster Dave

This may be a silly question but having just brought my first camper with a new conversion I need to buy a 25m hook up cable. I see some available have different amp rating. Any advice or recommendations?

I would get one rated at 16A this should cover most eventualities, may want to consider an adapter to different plugs/sockets

I would get one rated at 16A this should cover most eventualities, may want to consider an adapter to different plugs/sockets
thanks for that. Is the preferred choice 1.5mm or 2.5mm cable or does it not matter? The conversion does have a electric heater not a gas/diesel one.

Also, question whether you really need a 25m cable - we have a 25m cable and have only needed the full length once, most of the time we end up with long loops of cable besides the van - longer cable just means more to store/carry and wind/unwind. On most campsites a 15m cable would more than suffice.

Also consider if you need power in an awning...I have a tent type EHU going into the awning, then a short hook up cable going from that (using the plug adaptor above) to the van.

Also consider if you need power in an awning...I have a tent type EHU going into the awning, then a short hook up cable going from that (using the plug adaptor above) to the van.
What you could consider doing is cutting the cable close to the bit with the sockets on and fitting connector plugs - that would give you the best of both worlds and the ability to plug straight into the van if the awning is not up (our cable started out as a tent camping one and we cut it in this way to save having to push 25m of cable through the small EHU access point in the back of our tent).

Mains to Caravan Connector Hookup Plug - 3 Pin (Blue)

Caravan Site Mains Electric Hookup Socket

The requirements for electrical installations are set out in the 17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations (BS 7671:2008), Fourth Edition [1] (although I believe the 18th edition is just around the corner) and there is a guide to these regulations available on the web [2]. Sections "16.8 Electrical installations in caravan/camping parks and similar locations" and "16.13 Electrical installations in caravans and motor caravans" are of particular interest here. The "Regs" (as there are frequently called) are a bit hard going so the Camping and Caravanning Club [3] and the Caravan and Motorhome Club [4] and others have written summaries of the essentials for their members.

We carry a 25m and a 10m length of 2.5mm cable and a collection of adaptors for 13A and Shuko plugs and sockets. We also have a polarity reversing cable which we have only needed once.

Richard

[1] The Wiring Regs
Wiring Regulations - BS 7671 - IET Electrical

[2] Guide to Wiring Regs
http://s1.downloadmienphi.net/file/downloadfile6/192/1385308.pdf

[3] #30 Electricity for campers and caravanners - The Camping and Caravanning Club

[4] https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/advice-and-training/technical-advice/mains-electrical-installation/

What you could consider doing is cutting the cable close to the bit with the sockets on and fitting connector plugs - that would give you the best of both worlds and the ability to plug straight into the van if the awning is not up (our cable started out as a tent camping one and we cut it in this way to save having to push 25m of cable through the small EHU access point in the back of our tent).

Mains to Caravan Connector Hookup Plug - 3 Pin (Blue)

Caravan Site Mains Electric Hookup Socket

If I didn't have the awning up I'd just use the hook up cable...

Not much chance of me messing with electrical cables.

You might fall foul of regulations on sites that insist on MCB/RCD protection (your van will be protected via its consumer unit, etc., but the spare socket outside wont be)??
Yes I'd heard that. Never had a problem so far, though I've never used a socket outside and I'm unlikely to use the awning again. The only interest I've had from a site manager was just to check its waterproof rating and he was happy. I do always completely unravel it though, but the handle makes for a quicker and less messy decamp. No issues abroad though, the standards are often so bad I've often been the only one with no bare wires showing :D In Budapest I actually walked away in horror at what I was being asked to plugged into and put the hookup cable away!

I've got a cable with three sockets like this one, but have seen them quite a bit cheaper when Millets etc have had sales

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...=KZ0YC4X7P1CHZTXCBJEQ&dpPl=1&dpID=61SvZ5hBgTL
That is the same one I have but, as above, I've cut the cable close to the consumer unit to make cable management into the tent a lot easier. Hadn't really thought about getting power into the awning before but I like the idea of the 2 way adapter you posted!
IMG_3358.jpg

Back