What internal storage solution have you made your van?

snowdrop

Peugeot Boxer
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all, thought I’d just show some pics of a rear storage unit I’ve just completed in our Bilbos T6 2018 ‘Space’ model.
Its a clever basic van with lovely twin seats in the rear that convert to long single beds. and modular units in the back . All very good quality but we found the modular units a little unwieldy and one had a microwave which we never use. We wanted more storage.
So, after much scratching of head have come up with a solution and hope it doesn’t bore you too much , attached a couple of photos to show how it went. I have absolutely zero handy skills but took it slowly and its come out ok.Its removable and built in 12mm mdf, finished up with Wickes alloy edging and painted in moisture resistant grey paint . Can’t really give any technical specs as it was all a bit ‘wing it’ but happy to try and answer any questions.
Loving the van!

838C3CAF-3E35-42C4-9472-11486AB0D581.jpeg

478386A8-F3C1-4E19-9384-234360571C38.jpeg

2EECA08F-B9EF-429C-9865-2C53E256106B.jpeg

91EBD0F5-CBA2-4815-9094-F34E3A5C8090.jpeg

Ahem, not quite made

I've got three of those green, plastic fruit crates that supermarkets use. One under my double rear kombi chair, and two behind the Kombi seats. Plus I've got captains chairs seat back organisers for the kids to fill with stuff.

Suspect that's not what you mean...!

Ahem, not quite made

I've got three of those green, plastic fruit crates that supermarkets use. One under my double rear kombi chair, and two behind the Kombi seats. Plus I've got captains chairs seat back organisers for the kids to fill with stuff.

Suspect that's not what you mean...!
Not quite ;)

This is one I designed and built. Super handy to have the bottom door fold down into a mini table for a laptop and food. I also made a removable kitchen that fits inside one of the prebuilt draws with a mini grey water tank under the sink. The sliding top is great for accessing the inside without having to take everything off.
IMG_3224.JPGIMG_3226.JPGIMG_3186.JPGIMG_1179.JPG

Did you make that ?
Yes, is bolted to the Fortywinks foldout bed frame. Makes use of the space under bed and rear bench seat. Cost was around £80 for the the drawer runners and materials + an afternoon in the sun with the power tools... :thumbsup:

Everything is coming together. Here’s a couple of pictures of the hi-load drawer and table top lifts. Works a treat.

View attachment 83594
View attachment 83595

...and fitted the L-track. These will eventually be mounted through the ply panels. Had to drill and fit the Rivnuts first. Still got to work out how to transfer the location of the holes through the ply panels. Any ideas?

View attachment 83596

All carpeted in Stone auto-carpet now

Is that made from 18mm plywood

No, it's all a combo of 12mm and some 9mm all with strengthening blocks and spars in the right places. 18mm is a little overkill in my experience of building stuff for my vans. The storage box/bed unit I built in my old T5 was all 9mm. My friend owns the van now and it's all still solid as a rock. Designed correctly you can get away with 12mm and 9mm.

No, it's all a combo of 12mm and some 9mm all with strengthening blocks and spars in the right places. 18mm is a little overkill in my experience of building stuff for my vans. The storage box/bed unit I built in my old T5 was all 9mm. My friend owns the van now and it's all still solid as a rock. Designed correctly you can get away with 12mm and 9mm.
Thanks

You can see the construction better in these pictures:

7E2B5783-F3CB-4DAE-B22C-5C5EF7D5034D.jpeg

3AD3D96B-023C-4DE6-BBF2-24CFDB7C47DE.jpeg

...and also what it looks like now it's covered in Stone auto-carpet:

12EE09A0-BE74-4572-8801-4FB0139230DD.jpeg

IMG_0852.jpg

Top mattress flips onto the floor and gives two people more or less a full sized single bed each:

IMG_0853.jpg

Back