What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Andy - How do you find the picture quality please? I ask as I've been thinking about one of those to fit to a towbar mounted bike rack. I was thinking of a plug and socket power connection for the mirror as I had thought to remove it when not in use but just maybe it could be left on permanently. That said, I think I would be looking to use an ignition switched power source.
I've finished fitting it and initial impressions are very good. The mirror is a small screen and that helps, as on a big screen it would be considered poor quality. But it's broad enough to see the kerb when parallel parking and great at night. For £90, it's very good value, but a big job to fit.

Finished off the wiring on the Renogy DC-DC charger and did a bit of testing today. Everything is working as it should, all the LED’s are visible by looking under the front of the drivers seat which is a bonus. It should also be possible to change a fuse without needing to remove the drivers seat should that ever be required.

As part of the testing, I attached my fold up 50W solar panel just for the hell of it to see if it would charge even though there was no sun. It recognised it was there because the voltage output was over 15V but that is about all it did. It did prove the unit is doing what it should and turning solar on if the voltage threshold is reached. A bigger panel might have provided a little charge. I have a 180W panel waiting to go on the roof.

I also had a bit of a play with the Bluetooth app to see what it does. Functionality is limited although it does show the basics. There is another app which allows configuration of the charger which I’ll play with another time. Haven’t decided where I’m going to mount the Bluetooth module yet, there is so much cable on it i could put it anywhere in the van :oops:

I also managed to source a rubber cover which should fit the positive battery terminal properly. Just waiting for it to arrive so i can put that in place rather than using the yellow plastic thing which I’ve had to modify to make it fit (which it does badly). Fortunately not using the van just now so haven’t bothered to fit the drivers seat until i get that fitted.

Some pictures:
View attachment 92065

Clamp holding battery in position. Battery tray is screwed to the seat base so battery is nice and secure. BM2 has been moved and fixed to top of battery since i took the picture.
View attachment 92066

The app display with engine running and solar connected (small 50W panel, no sun):
View attachment 92067

App display with solar connected with engine turned off (same solar panel same conditions):
View attachment 92068

The USB sockets I fitted in the B pillars. They have a touch controlled on/off button. I chose these so i could turn them off so there is no parasitic drain from them. They light up when they’re on. Not sure I’m going to leave the covers on them, will decide later.
View attachment 92069View attachment 92070
The rubber cover arrived so I fitted that and put the drivers seat back in.
Final test was connecting the Starter battery up to a mains charger to confirm whether or not the Renogy would activate and charge the leisure as well. Pleased to say it did. Now I just need to get the solar panel installed.
7737C55E-DA9D-4B8B-BFDA-6D3CC3ED9F44.jpeg

Reactions: JOG
I've finished fitting it and initial impressions are very good. The mirror is a small screen and that helps, as on a big screen it would be considered poor quality. But it's broad enough to see the kerb when parallel parking and great at night. For £90, it's very good value, but a big job to fit.
Cheers for that - looks like a job well done.

And scratch the paint forever too. :eek:
Bloomin hedgerows down our way do that for you! Did you know that there is a direct and proportionate relationship between the size of yummy mummy car and its inability to move over?!!!

Senior Management has an 18 plate Disco and she happily throws it up on the verge (before rocks sail in my direction!)

Bloomin hedgerows down our way do that for you! Did you know that there is a direct and proportionate relationship between the size of yummy mummy car and its inability to move over?!!!

Senior Management has an 18 plate Disco and she happily throws it up on the verge (before rocks sail in my direction!)

Same problem in Cheshire, although we have to contend with the Walkers Crisp HGV’s who think they own the lanes.

Exactly, most of then do not like getting the tyres dirty and have absolutely no idea what so ever what the width of their vehicle is. There are those who can not even judge the wide of a Nissan Micra, the way some go down the road it is if it was a bus that they were driving that had no brakes.

Years ago on a mountain road i was travelling up hill and I could see some one coming down the hill with haste. I pulled over as far as it was possible to go and stopped expecting the other cars to at least slow down to negotiate the gap. Noway it just carried on and at the very last second the driver a woman instead of braking or pulling over squeezed in her shoulders while gripping even more firmly the steering wheel and smashed my mirror right off the door. She did stop but not immediately but down the road. She came back all apologetic and tried to blame everything on the narrowness of the road. I told her that if she thought it so narrow then why did she not slow down or stop. I think that many do not realise the there is a middle peddle and what it might be used for.:(

The rubber cover arrived so I fitted that and put the drivers seat back in.
Final test was connecting the Starter battery up to a mains charger to confirm whether or not the Renogy would activate and charge the leisure as well. Pleased to say it did. Now I just need to get the solar panel installed.
View attachment 92256
Cover helps reduce the buttock clenching!!!

Exactly, most of then do not like getting the tyres dirty and have absolutely no idea what so ever what the width of their vehicle is. There are those who can not even judge the wide of a Nissan Micra, the way some go down the road it is if it was a bus that they were driving that had no brakes.

Years ago on a mountain road i was travelling up hill and I could see some one coming down the hill with haste. I pulled over as far as it was possible to go and stopped expecting the other cars to at least slow down to negotiate the gap. Noway it just carried on and at the very last second the driver a woman instead of braking or pulling over squeezed in her shoulders while gripping even more firmly the steering wheel and smashed my mirror right off the door. She did stop but not immediately but down the road. She came back all apologetic and tried to blame everything on the narrowness of the road. I told her that if she thought it so narrow then why did she not slow down or stop. I think that many do not realise the there is a middle peddle and what it might be used for.:(

A common statement from me in these situations @Kind of Blue is:

“You can get a bloody tank through there “

Back