What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Sat uncomfortable on the settee and looked out the window at my van that is in need of a wash, unable to do it as I had an accident 8 days ago and cracked a couple of ribs and can barely move!

Brilliant, can you tell us with how you did it,

Thanks. Yes, was pleased with the outcome, particularly as it takes up no storage space itself. The pole retracts and then you just bundle it behind the lip at the front of the roof bed. The net on its own would be good enough to take bedding I think, but I added the metal bar so I could stow storage boxes up there too.

Spent a while finding a net the right size, so that the tension was sufficient: Haofy Cargo Net, 100 x 40CM Car Boot Net Adjustable Elastic Trunk Cargo Organizer Nylon Mesh Rear Car Net for Car, Van, SUV, Truck Bed, with 4 Hooks
Haofy Cargo Net, 100 x 40CM Car Boot Net Adjustable Elastic Trunk Cargo Organizer Nylon Mesh Rear Car Net for Car, Van, SUV, Truck Bed, with 4 Hooks: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike £17.29.

1596879694319.png

I glued and screwed (Gorilla glue) two of the round fixings to the lip of the roof, staying away from the outside edge of the roof bit as there’s van wiring in there!

I only glued the front two hooks as I felt confident then that the glue was strong enough on its own.

I glued another couple of hooks along the front edge to stop the net drooping in the middle: ProPlus 342150S Cover/Tarpaulin Hooks Round Plastic, Pack of 10 £3.97. ProPlus 342150S Cover/Tarpaulin Hooks Round Plastic, Pack of 10: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

1596879727969.png

I used a black extendable shower rod (85-150cm) as a bar to prop up storage boxes: Frenessa Metal Extendable Shower Curtain Tension Rod with No Drilling Required, Telescopic Cupboard Bar Adjustable Pole Rail for Net Sheers Voiles Wardrobe Bookshelf Cabinet, 85-150cm, Matte Black £11.99.

Frenessa Metal Extendable Shower Curtain Tension Rod with No Drilling Required, Telescopic Cupboard Bar Adjustable Pole Rail for Net Sheers Voiles Wardrobe Bookshelf Cabinet, 85-150cm, Matte Black: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

1596879734719.png

The storage boxes were chosen to fit both in the boot and to sit 3 abreast on the new rod/net shelf

Wham Plastic Storage Boxes - Pack Of 5 (32 Litre) £27.38

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/6040194316/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1596879750285.png

Hope that helps!

Quick mod today. My van's bumper has looked like this since new and it's always bugged me
IMG_2124.JPG

So today I knocked up these
IMG_2123.JPG

Job done. Yes I know some would think they'd look better in black, but I like the contrast and the van is grey. And I didn't have any black filament.
IMG_2125.JPG

Next job is to 3D print a tray to hold the phone in place in its wireless charger, the "temporary" strips of foam currently holding it in place have now been there over a year :whistle:

Spent the morning tweaking the front end.
Swapped from h4 to caravelle h7 headlights.​
Fitted colour coded lower grill, fog light grills and de-badged grill.​
Yellow tinted the fog lamps.​
Fitted the inner arch liner properly after VW failed to do so a few weeks ago.​
I found that using the dogs tennis ball helped with fitting the fog grills. Not the usual tool but it worked a treat.​

IMG_20200808_092743~2.jpg

IMG_20200808_132540~2.jpg

IMG_20200808_110509.jpg

IMG_20200808_094201.jpg

IMG_20200808_105810.jpg

Cut out carpeted over OEM large card trim in rear. Sound deadened behind, installed insulation. Carpeted replacement ply panels and installed them before the heat and humidity done for me. Just got one behind drivers seat below window to do. Will do that after MotoGP and once its a tad cooler. I nearly drowned in my own perspiration. Jeez. I've also got to do leisure battery kit I got from Travelvolts, but I dont like heat. I'm a sweaty sock. I like the cool.

Right now watching my 2 new(ish) kittens running around the flat chasing a plastic spring. In typical cat fashion, they ignore all the expensive and nice stuff and instead play with a couple of plastic springs which likely cost <1p.

Top Tip: Carpeted over holes for trim panel clips? Use a soldering iron to form holes. Sorted.

Back