What does extended warranty cover?

No worries. I have a T6.1 Highline, Swb panel van. I have a fault with the auto lights and the auto wipers. So yesterday it went to the van doctors. They’ve given me a Startline as a loaner, I turned my nose up, at it. But after driving it, with no weight, and 16in wheels. It is so smooth. That’s the problem, little niggles like that could run to hundreds to fix

True that’s what I am worried about so I think a extended warranty will be a must but which one Vw or another independent company

Have you had yours, from new/nearly new? Have you had any probs. Look at the small print, but the lesser cover, is normally just cover for engine, gearbox and drivetrain. Better cover, adds all the electrical stuff. I got mine in March, with a four year warranty/service/breakdown plan. That’s the last thing you wanted to hear!!!!! But I’m all about the peace of mind. I had a fault on my previous T6, with the door locks. VW put me in a hire van for a month, Didn’t cost me a penny

i have only had her for two weeks. not had the time to drive it yet. Full extended warranty 10k miles a year is working out to £1160 or £100 a month . What do you think Markgf

That’s the trouble. You have no idea, on her past. They are generally good vans, I’ve had 3 from new, (5.1, 6 and 6.1) and they’ve all been in for warranty work. Nothing major. The older they get, there is more chance of things cropping up. As it’s new to you, I’d spend the money for the first year, then take a view. Bear in mind that the quote for next year will be even more £s. Unfortunately this is one of life’s dilemmas. See if the monthly payment option could be cancelled at any time. You could aim for 6 months, and see how the van is.

I have all the history printout from VW dealership it’s been in a few times for egr pipe and tailgate problem and then the recall for the belt and tensions

Can only extend during first three months after registration and my van was pre registered ex demo/display vehicle was over three months when I bought it
Hi just read this, my van will be registered on 01/09/20 and they tell me I can’t get extended factory as it is from when van was ordered nearly 9 months ago.
Very disappointed.

Hi just read this, my van will be registered on 01/09/20 and they tell me I can’t get extended factory as it is from when van was ordered nearly 9 months ago.
Very disappointed.
i waited 5 months for my van and the day i picked it up was the day i paid for the extended factory warranty i think sometimes they just don't want you to have it

i waited 5 months for my van and the day i picked it up was the day i paid for the extended factory warranty i think sometimes they just don't want you to have it
Same with me, ordered then long wait, arrived and warranty applied when registered. my Understanding is you have to buy within 3 months of registration not order.

Same with me, ordered then long wait, arrived and warranty applied when registered. my Understanding is you have to buy within 3 months of registration not order.
Correct @Bobproct i think their just trying to have you over try phoning another dealer and just ask what the deal is with extending the factory warranty or do live chat with vw customer services you can download the chat if need be

I'd be onto VWCS...i don't think the dealers are that keen on this warranty. I knew about it, so hassled them for it with my previous van. Worked well, as I had a warranty issue just after the initial term ended.

Took me quite a bit of to and fro between VWCS (who maintained it was done by the dealer) and the dealer who initially said it was done by VWCS on line. But I persisted, printed the info off the website and took it into my dealer. I was lucky that I had a good salesman who sorted it for me just before the 3 months after registering expired. Never had this sort of issue with other vehicles- usually dealers are falling over themselves to sell extended warranties although of course quite a few manufacturers give them as standard now as they’re confident they’ll unlikely to be needed.

Took me quite a bit of to and fro between VWCS (who maintained it was done by the dealer) and the dealer who initially said it was done by VWCS on line. But I persisted, printed the info off the website and took it into my dealer. I was lucky that I had a good salesman who sorted it for me just before the 3 months after registering expired. Never had this sort of issue with other vehicles- usually dealers are falling over themselves to sell extended warranties although of course quite a few manufacturers give them as standard now as they’re confident they’ll unlikely to be needed.
Thanks it looks like I’ll be ok then, have emailed VW customer services I’ll let you know how I get on.

Go straight to head office if the dealer is messing you around they will set them straight, 90 days from vehicle going on the road/getting registered

Hi Pauly new van has arrived but dealer still in denial about warranty extension.
Have seen literature and sent it to him but still insists it has to be done at point of order.
However I’ve seen a you tube post by Cali chris from Liverpool VW commercials so gave them a call, a nice guy said he should be able to help me in some way.
Awaiting their call tomorrow.
Very frustrating!!!

[Thread merge]

Hi, hopefully this is the right place for this amd hasn't been covered somewhere else. Im getting a van fron private with extended vw warranty up to October. Is anything i should be considering like things it doesn't cover?
By sounds of it the van been really well looked over and only done 38k and had air-conditioning compressor, front strut tops, door rollers and replacement sliding windows in the sliding door issues sorted on warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a 2017 t6 this January only 12,000 on the clock With 12 months 3rd party extended warranty. Shortly afterwards the engine management light came on, roadside assistance said the egr needed flushing. I booked it in to jct 600, they charged £120 for diagnostics ( refundable if the work was covered by warranty)... unfortunately it wasn’t.
next the sliding door refused to shut , I rang jct 600 again, they wanted £120 for diagnostics but couldn’t even look at it for 6 weeks. I got it done somewhere else.

Back