What’s this Shuttle worth?

Loader

VIP Member
I have the chance to buy an ex NHS ambulance T6 that looks like it was used to transport organs from place to place as well as other duties. The Transporter is a Shuttle LWB SE 150BHP. Its an 18 plate with around 70K how much do think this is worth? Are ex ambulances worth buying? What would I need to look out for? Thanks for your help

Was it on blue-light duties? If not, it will be no different from any other van used for delivery duties! @Niknak sees a few of these and would know more

Was it on blue-light duties? If not, it will be no different from any other van used for delivery duties! @Niknak sees a few of these and would know more

I think so as the picture I have seen shows blue lights on it.
Like several other members of this forum, I had a bit of experience driving emergency service vehicles, of various makes, petrol and diesel.
Funnily enough, although they get a hard life, in my experience, the engines generally seemed to be really reliable even past 150K miles, a T6 used for organ transport might have had an easier life than most emergency service vehicles.
I would look carefully for damage caused by kerbs and speed humps and at the seats, they get a hard time. Obviously there will be holes where you don't want them and wiring that makes no sense, but that should be reflected in the price. It will almost certainly have been well serviced and any repairs will have been done properly.
Very importantly, check if holes were drilled in the roof for blue lights and wiring, if they were they need to be properly filled and sealed, I've seen ex Police vans go to auction with gaffer tape over the holes in the roof, which on a van can't easily be seen unless you are tall.
Like any used vehicle, it could be a good buy - if the price is right.

Like several other members of this forum, I had a bit of experience driving emergency service vehicles, of various makes, petrol and diesel.
Funnily enough, although they get a hard life, in my experience, the engines generally seemed to be really reliable even past 150K miles, a T6 used for organ transport might have had an easier life than most emergency service vehicles.
I would look carefully for damage caused by kerbs and speed humps and at the seats, they get a hard time. Obviously there will be holes where you don't want them and wiring that makes no sense, but that should be reflected in the price. It will almost certainly have been well serviced and any repairs will have been done properly.
Very importantly, check if holes were drilled in the roof for blue lights and wiring, if they were they need to be properly filled and sealed, I've seen ex Police vans go to auction with gaffer tape over the holes in the roof, which on a van can't easily be seen unless you are tall.
Like any used vehicle, it could be a good buy - if the price is right.
Thanks for the info much appreciated I will look out for the holes in the roof and dash, Thanks

I have the chance to buy an ex NHS ambulance T6 that looks like it was used to transport organs from place to place as well as other duties. The Transporter is a Shuttle LWB SE 150BHP. Its an 18 plate with around 70K how much do think this is worth? Are ex ambulances worth buying? What would I need to look out for? Thanks for your help
I'm not some sort of medical expert by any stretch but I'd question needing a T6 to transport organs unless they are of the musical type.

If it is genuine I'd check the glove box has been cleaned.

Reactions: DXX
I can only echo the above, having been fortunate enough to drive pretty much every type of emergency road vehicle at some point but mainly high performance ones. The trim and bodywork get butchered, but mechanically they are usually excellent. I guess the liability in having an account caused by mechanical defect is not worth entertaining; they are certainly grubby though.

Higher performance vehicles will be looked after properly, anything that is listed as a transport or enquiry vehicle will be in the same condition as a mini cab. I certainly wouldn't be looking at buying one unless it was at least 30% cheaper than a like for like. It tickles me when I see ex old bill BMWs for knocking on what a normal used beemer would be... when they are guaranteed to have had all the panels replaced at least once!

Thanks guys for the advice not sure about taking on this T6 if the bodywork ain't going to be great. I might look at some other options.

Back