What’s this on my sliding door card?

With that metal clamp on it, I’d say it’s definitely a pull cord, but for what?

Don't pull it ..........................
Too late, the door will now start to unravel like a piece of knitting.:laugh:
Looks to me like a factory hole in the metal?

Turns out its an emergency door lock release mechanism, just incase you get trapped in the cargo area and the battery has gone flat. Strange that it's not on everyone else's T6.1. No mention of it in the owner's manual, I rang the dealer and so now the mystery is no longer a mystery.

Turns out its an emergency door lock release mechanism, just incase you get trapped in the cargo area and the battery has gone flat. Strange that it's not on everyone else's T6.1. No mention of it in the owner's manual, I rang the dealer and so now the mystery is no longer a mystery.
That’s interesting, so pulling a little wire can release the deadlock, but the interior handle obviously can‘t. Sounds like a potential security flaw.

With the door closed, if you tug that wire it releases the sliding door catch to open the door. However I still don't understand it's purpose. I even wondered if it was there incase of a side impact on the sliding door, it would automatically release the door catch rather than it jam closed in the handle/door catch.

With the door closed, if you tug that wire it releases the sliding door catch to open the door. However I still don't understand it's purpose. I even wondered if it was there incase of a side impact on the sliding door, it would automatically release the door catch rather than it jam closed in the handle/door catch.
Even if it released the catch a bent door / rail isn’t going to slide open.

Even if it released the catch a bent door / rail isn’t going to slide open.
Yes I get that, just was at a loss as to what it was for. I have read the post about it beingto release the door if trapped in the cargo area and it makes mire sense.

Yes I get that, just was at a loss as to what it was for. I have read the post about it beingto release the door if trapped in the cargo area and it makes mire sense.
I see your point, having locked myself in the back of a Sprinter in the past it’s something I’m very wary of now.

My 6.1 has the plastic bit but it’s not connected to anything. (I've got powered closing if that makes any difference). There’s another thread on here about it somewhere.

I actually rigged a similar system on my tailgate. I had problems with the power latching (never again) where I couldn’t open the tailgate. I ran a piece of fishing line inside a plastic tube down to the latch on the tailgate. If the electrickery fails, I can manually open the tailgate from the inside.

Me too as I didn’t like not being able to open the tailgate from inside. I simply bought a push on/off momentary button which I fitted in the tailgate card then wired it to the outside latch actuator. Works a treat.
I actually rigged a similar system on my tailgate. I had problems with the power latching (never again) where I couldn’t open the tailgate. I ran a piece of fishing line inside a plastic tube down to the latch on the tailgate. If the electrickery fails, I can manually open the tailgate from the inside.

Screenshot 2021-10-22 at 01.22.43.png

Back