Whale Expanse vs Surecal vs Elgena hot water

JBR80

CNC machinist
T6 Pro
Planning on having hot water in our LWB T6. Just trying to assess the various routes to achieving this. The Whale expanse will heat faster, is more expensive and requires LPG install. Surecal is cheaper, but need expansion tank and possibly an accumulator tank, so a more fragmented/space taking installation. As a leftfield option, I have seen these Elgena tanks: ELGENA KB6 COMBI WATER HEATER 12V-200W / 230V-660W, Motorhome Caravan Water Heating Equipment - Grasshopper Leisure which are appealing due to the price and the easy installation. The instructions for this (attached) concern me in a couple of ways. It states that if the boiler is used without water, the temperature safety device will need to be replaced.....seems like this could happen simply by leaving on when the tank runs dry. It's not clear to me whether low pressure from a submersible pump is a problem/ how this would work.

Please share you experience or assessment of these or other hot water systems.

Attachments

• Montage_KB_6_UK (1).pdf
    448.1 KB · Views: 13
A submersible pump such as the Whale GP1002 is rated at 10L/min and 0.6 bar which is 6m head of fresh water.
Any delivery pump would need to have enough pressure to overcome the spring rate of a non-return valve (NRV) plus the accumulator / system pressure.
Most tanks are installed with a low level warning alarm but the calibration isn’t always accurate, mine has 20L left when it alarms.
I don’t have a hot water system as I boil a kettle if hot water when needed and I have a large rectangular pot for showers / laundry which works well. Space is valuable on a T6 and like you point out the components soon add up.

That’s really for outside use only, so I doubt anyone has installed one in a van.
There are many variants on that under different brand names.

Pete

That’s really for outside use only, so I doubt anyone has installed one in a van.
There are many variants on that under different brand names.

Pete
Yeah I appreciate that. I'm thinking of string in the cupboard by the back door and hanging it on the back door to use it.

Back