Westfalia tow bar

Paul Binding

T6 Pro
I already have a fixed swan neck tow bar and electrics fitted to my t6.
Do all tow bars use the same mounting points.
I would like to remove my tow bar ( not sure what make) and fit the westfalia with removable ball hitch.
Is this a easy thing to do? Plan on use the existing electrics so hopefully no coding to worry about.

If you post some photos, someone may be able to identify what you currently have ?

Ultimately, their towbar brackets all mount to the same points on the van, but I doubt they are common between the actual towbar and the bracket.

Pete

Thanks Pete
All I am really asking is could I unbolt mine and bolt the westfalia in the same place as a direct swop.
I figured they would all use the same mounting points but wanted to know if anybody could confirm.

Ok, basically the towbar mounts to a manufacturers bracket (big metal bar), which itself bolts to the van through a common set of bolt holes.

Clearly you could buy a Westfalia bracket and towbar, and bolt those to the van in place of what you have. But in a perfect world, you might be able to buy just the towbar, and mount it to the existing manufacturers bracket. If your existing towbar is a Westfalia, then it might just bolt onto the existing bracket, and you save yourself some money.

Pete

I won't pretend to know anything about fitting towbars but I can tell you that when I had a Westfalia Detachable fitted to my 18 plate T6 Highline, the fitter did NOT have to drill any extra holes. Somebody else might chip in later but you might need a couple of other things such as the bumper filler pieces. When mine was done, the fitter also had to replace what I would describe as a large black plastic beam which went across the width of the van under the bumper - sorry, I've no idea what it's called or even what it does (other than fill a space!) but, again, somebody else might advise.

This thread is useful. As Ayjay points out, there are other parts to consider.

Pete

Ok, basically the towbar mounts to a manufacturers bracket (big metal bar), which itself bolts to the van through a common set of bolt holes.

Clearly you could buy a Westfalia bracket and towbar, and bolt those to the van in place of what you have. But in a perfect world, you might be able to buy just the towbar, and mount it to the existing manufacturers bracket. If your existing towbar is a Westfalia, then it might just bolt onto the existing bracket, and you save yourself some money.

Pete
Thanks all, time to purchase a westfalia removable and get stuck in then.

I would like to remove my tow bar ( not sure what make) and fit the westfalia with removable ball hitch.
Is this a easy thing to do? Plan on use the existing electrics so hopefully no coding to worry about.
A very easy job to do...dont forget to order the two pieces of overpriced foam packing (about £20each) that stick to the top of the tow bar either side of the welded section to fill the void between underside of bumper and tow bar...just where you might rest something heavy or kneel...without them you might crack/damage the bumper! Spare keys are available online at a fraction of the Westfalia price.

As has already been said it’s a very straightforward process, remove the rear bumper, drop the electrics off the old towbar, remove the 6 mounting bolts and pull the towbar away from the van.

I fitted a towbar from scratch and guess it took me a couple of hours plus the electrics.

I did mine on my back on a hard standing, if I was doing it again I would drive the rear wheels up on some pieces of wood to give a bit more room as the bolts are tight. 75mm would make all the difference.

Back