Westfalia Tow Bar electrics - 2019 Multivan

VWT6CH

Good day all,

I have a problem.

I have a VW T6 Multivan Trendline Liberty, year 2019, 2000ccm, 150 PS/ 110 KW 4 Cylinder TDi Common Rail EU6 SCR Diesel. Rails on the floor. Seats 1 triple and 2 single, fully removable / sliding.

I sent email to Westfalia. Send chassis number, make, model, and they sent me link to which tow bar to buy. I ordered tow bar.

This was a self install. All covers under removed on a lift, we run the cable on the driver side (Left hand drive) , under the webasto, in the hole under the driver seat. (as per the map with instructions) Everything up to this point was going smooth. We followed the booklet instruction. We put everything back together underneath the car. Cable with all connectors was under my driver seat. Now the map is showing we need to plug everything into the dash.

Removed plastic covers on the dashboard. My friend, the mechanic, said you have wrong cable. Westfalia says, you have the right cable.

Have we done anything wrong, that you might think off by reading this?

These are all connectors under my driver seat.

conectors.jpg I

I have a startline van (basic) and have recently purchased the westfalia towbar loom.

On my kit there are wires to connect into the fuse box under the seat. I dont have one, this is an additional wiring / fuse box kit I need to buy.

There are also wires to connect into the body control module in the dash and the light switch.

There is also a secondary loom in the kit which needs running to the battery and has a relay with ignition switched live that puts power to the aux feed in the plug (caravan fridge etc)

It took me a few goes at reading the instructions before I understood them!

Ian

Thank you for your reply.

They just emailed me to tell me a need to buy this set as well.

I'm not sure is this set just additional cables that connects from under seat to dashboard OR do I need to remove the whole cable from the back of the van (removing all plastics etc) and then putting the new cable in.

That looks like the cables to the rear (again!)

I’d would do some more research. I expect there are differences in the looms between LH and RH drive vehicles.

Do you have a picture of the box / manual of your current loom and a part number? I can compare it to the westfalia loom I have.

I have a startline van (basic) and have recently purchased the westfalia towbar loom.

On my kit there are wires to connect into the fuse box under the seat. I dont have one, this is an additional wiring / fuse box kit I need to buy.

There are also wires to connect into the body control module in the dash and the light switch.

There is also a secondary loom in the kit which needs running to the battery and has a relay with ignition switched live that puts power to the aux feed in the plug (caravan fridge etc)

It took me a few goes at reading the instructions before I understood them!

Ian
Hi Ian,

I didn't fit my own Westfalia, but (and it may be a coincidence) but since fitting the towbar, I've been plagued with a flat battery, and when everything is switched off, im still srawing 2 amps from the battery. Its not the MOl battery etc and no fault codes but I cant figure it out. Is there a relay or fuse I can pull that is for this circuit to see if that's the issue? Its a T28 camper conversion with split charging etc

Hi Ian,

I didn't fit my own Westfalia, but (and it may be a coincidence) but since fitting the towbar, I've been plagued with a flat battery, and when everything is switched off, im still srawing 2 amps from the battery. Its not the MOl battery etc and no fault codes but I cant figure it out. Is there a relay or fuse I can pull that is for this circuit to see if that's the issue? Its a T28 camper conversion with split charging etc

Sorry I cannot help - mine doesnt have a leisure battery nor do I plan to fit one.

Perhaps post a new thread to get advice.

Ian

Thank you for your reply Ian. Much appreciated.
The first set of instructions where lost.
Last night I had the new cable installed to the rear.
Tomorrow I have the tow bar A-tested and registered in the registration document. Will update if everything went ok.

The replacement cable turn out to be the right one. Short cable with connection in the rear of the van.
Tow bar passed test today and is registered in the registration document.
Thanks Ian

Hi everyone.
I’m trying to install wiring kit on T6 shuttle. All instructions suggest connecting to light blue connector under passenger seat. Problem is I don’t have this connector, photos below of connectors.
1st photo passenger seat
2nd fuse box
3rd driver seat

Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Ian,

Apologies for being a little late to the party on this one, but I had the same problem with my Westfalia towbar setup draining my starter battery. I did a lot of testing myself in discussion with my conversion company and ultimately it was resolved by fitting a replacement Westfalia control unit as the first one was showing faults on VCDS. I disconnected the leisure side (charging twin 100Ah lithiums) from the main battery to make sure that nothing else that the converters had installed was causing the problem, and still had 0.7A draw when everything was turned off/locked, including having pushed the bonnet catch back down (with bonnet still open). If you don't do this then the system doesn't shut don completely and you'll get a false reading. I also pulled numerous fuses, one at a time, to try to pinpoint the problem, and it eventually brought us to the towbar setup. Since the control unit was swapped out, I haven't had a problem with battery drain, although I've still got a dash warning when the trailer/bike rack is on saying I've a bulb out. Still working on that one!

For anyone unsure, managed to locate the correct wire in the green block on my 1st photo (passenger seat nearest my thumb). The instructions are misleading, but by checking multiple installation guides I found one that related to my vehicle.

Back