Westfalia detachable towbar additional parts

Sean O Leary

T6 Guru
Hello All, Got my Weatfalia detachable towbar during the week and fitted it today. Just for anyone who is ordering one prior to fitting you will need the parts in the picture below which you can get from your VW dealer. It is the support for under the bumper when you remove the crash barrier, I found out today most don't bother to fit them but if you stand on the bumper without then it will sink down 2" and possible crack clips. A friend had his fitted by a professional!!! Who packed up this gap with some broken timber palette. So I've ordered this to complete the job tomorrow which was €27.00 from dealer

Hi
Thanks for this post. I was wondering why my rear bumper seemed so flimsy. I have just emailed my VW dealer who used a 3rd party fitter to retro fit my towbar, so wait and see what they say. This is not the first issue, fitter used standard wiring kit to start with, so I had to get them to replace this with the proper intingation wiring kit.
Thanks again.

Good you got some value from it, make sure they fit that part for you I was absolutely amazed at how many fitters do not bother. If I paid money to a preofeesional carry out an installation and got my van back missing this part or with a piece of broken palette in its place I certainely would not be impressed to say the least and they wouldn't do it again. Hopefully your dealer will sort it for you, the part is cheap anyway

Did you buy these parts as a kit or did they all come separate ?

If you have a T6 panel van, the above part is required and replaces the existing van crash beam, vans with windows behind the driver i.e caravelles, Kombis, Shuttles etc already have this part in place, in addition to this two foam pads are required to support the bumper. (Part no. 7H0807252A)

If you have a T6 panel van, the above part is required and replaces the existing van crash beam, vans with windows behind the driver i.e caravelles, Kombis, Shuttles etc already have this part in place, in addition to this two foam pads are required to support the bumper. (Part no. 7H0807252A)

Agreed, I ordered the part and found out that it was already in place.

Hi there, crikey I'm just going to check mine now to see if the plate has been fitted. I had a factory fit removable towbar and am having problems with the wiring or should i say lack of wiring?- No power to trailer brake lights and test revealing no power to socket, Vw had it for a day recently and couldn't find the problem and now annoyingly they want it back for a couple more days to start stripping out the sortimo lining and racking which i painstakingly fitted so they can check the wiring loom, I told them that no-one is removing that but myself as i know they won't be as careful and it will probably come back with scratches and scuff marks abound otherwise.
In a nutshell even the factory don't always get it right-now to check for the bracket so watch this space!

IMG_0084.JPG
Two foam pads now fitted to tow bar. These make the bumper much more rigid, especially when pressing down as you do when you step in.

Resurrecting an old thread here.

I am going to have a Westfalia detachable towbar fitted, but I can’t work out from the images above whether the foam pad comes as one piece or 2 separate pieces - both are shown.

As our van started as a panel van, then it sounds like we need to get something, but I can’t work out what ?

Thanks,

Pete

Last edited:
Resurrecting an old thread here.

I am going to have a Westfalia detachable rowboat fitted, but I can’t work out from the images above whether the foam pad comes as one piece or 2 separate pieces - both are shown.

As our van started as a panel van, then it sounds like we need to get something, but I can’t work out what ?

Thanks,

Pete

Two pieces on mine

Here is a note of what got fitted with my Westfalia tow bar :-

The under bumper support (plastic rail) (see picture below) which strengthens the area under the bumper as the old crash barrier is removed (this is needed for panel vans).

raw

The two foam inserts (VW part # 7H0 807 252 A) that go on top of the towbar bracket under the bumper ( see picture below) which prevent excess downward movement of the bumper step to help prevent the bumper cracking.

raw
raw

So it would be (1 x 7H0 807 723); (8 x 701 867 299); (8 x 357 853 586 B); (2 x 7H0 807 252 A).

Hope that helps.

Cheers. I have dropped a line to PF Jones, who I want to fit it, to get them to confirm.

It appears that the first part goes on before you fit the main bracket - is that correct ?

Pete

Yes. The existing 'crash bar' under the bumper gets removed as no longer needed. The 'plastic rail' then gets fitted and secured with the 8 x screws and grommets, followed by the new tow bar then the two foam inserts on top each side of the new bar.

Back