Westfalia detachable tow-bar self-fit [Guide]

justin0

So I decided to purchase the Westfalia detachable tow bar this week and set about fitting it. I bought the towbar and dedicated electrics from PF Jones. I've fitted it to a 2017 T6 and taken a few photos which may help someone. Not a bad job, but I'm fortunate to have ramps at our garage. It's a job that could be done on your driveway but you would need to roll around the floor which would take a lot longer to do.
To summarise I did the job in the following order.
1. Remove bumper, rear reinforcer and fit relevant trim piece and fixings.
2. Remove spare wheel and under trays including wheel well trim.
3. Fit and torque tow bar bolts.
4. Disconnect battery, run cable from battery tray through cutout in corner battery housing and route cable through same route as brake pipes, around adblue tank, down left hand chassis rail to tow bar bracket. Securing with cable ties where possible.
5. Terminate the relevant wiring to loom as I didn't need to connect anything under passenger seat.
6. Connect tow bar wiring to socket and refit under trays and spare wheel.
7. Locate a bulkhead grommet to upper drivers side of master cylinder (this is a rectangular grommet with multiple choices of holes) which takes the canbus wiring just above body module. 8. I unplugged both sockets from body module and connected orange and brown and orange and green wires as per instruction. There are a few twisted orange wires paired up so pay attention to the trace colour on orange canbus wires. These connect into the white multi plug on BCM. I then connected the black and red wire from tow bar loom to the black and red wire on black multi plug. There are yellow coloured rings around the cable to confirm the right connection.
9. Tidy up cables, refit multi plugs to BCM carefully, no force required or you could damage pins and refit any dash trims as necessary.
That's pretty much it, not too difficult just be methodical.
10. Connect tow bar wiring to battery terminals and reconnect battery.
A simple lighting board to check all lights work and I'll follow up with VCDS coding to finalise fitting to have any notification on dash etc.

20210512_091829.jpg

20210512_093240.jpg

20210512_092009.jpg

20210512_092606.jpg

20210512_095843.jpg

20210512_095849.jpg

20210512_095856.jpg

20210512_122003.jpg

20210512_122029.jpg

20210512_124930.jpg

20210512_134443.jpg

20210512_134447.jpg

@justin0 on the black BCM, did you say you connected the red/black from the towbar loom to the black/red WITH YELLOW RINGS? Or to the single black /red on the van??

Anyone who did this, how hard is it to get the tailgate bumper off without snapping clips scratching paint etc?
Its now about £230 to get it fitted and Im wondering what to do?

Anyone who did this, how hard is it to get the tailgate bumper off without snapping clips scratching paint etc?
Its now about £230 to get it fitted and Im wondering what to do?
Bigger risk is the rear light cluster removal….they slide out sideways and many pull them off “backwards” breaking the cluster clips.

Bigger risk is the rear light cluster removal….they slide out sideways and many pull them off “backwards” breaking the cluster clips.
Thanks, I've remove light clusters before so thats not a worry.

Reactions: JOG
Thanks, any tips / guidance on the tool to use or the best way to release the clips? I cant find any real guides online.
Scratching is easy to avoid. Use plastic pry tools and nothing metal.

The clips on the bumper… go slow, and take your time, and you might not break any. I broke one or two and I’m pretty careful! But there’s loads of them and I’m not concerned. I think a professional fitter will probably break more or the same!

Tail light cluster is easy :)

I’ve got loads of photos from when I did it. Might be able to help if there’s something you want to see.

7BC16BFA-D82C-45E7-87B2-E0464001EBD4.jpeg

Scratching is easy to avoid. Use plastic pry tools and nothing metal.

The clips on the bumper… go slow, and take your time, and you might not break any. I broke one or two and I’m pretty careful! But there’s loads of them and I’m not concerned. I think a professional fitter will probably break more or the same!

Tail light cluster is easy :)

I’ve got loads of photos from when I did it. Might be able to help if there’s something you want to see.

View attachment 150212
Thanks for that. Will let you know.

Which trim tool did you use / find was best?
thanks.

Thanks for that. Will let you know.

Which trim tool did you use / find was best?
thanks.
Can’t recall exactly. I have one of those kits with multiple sizes. Just careful pulling with the tool until I could get my fingers in. You can also try to depress the tabs so they come free more easily if I recall correctly.

Thread 'Removing the Rear Bumper [Guide]'

Cheers RunDSG. I'll take the plunge...

Apologies too, I asked this same question on another thread as I thought I'd messed up this entry... apparently not. Thanks all...
When you conect the wires to black and white multi plug, did you use scotch lich type joiners or conect into the plug.
Thanks

Cheers RunDSG. I'll take the plunge...

Apologies too, I asked this same question on another thread as I thought I'd messed up this entry... apparently not. Thanks all...
Just doing the same and have exactly the same question, is it red/black cable or red/black with the yellow rings on it, which one did you use?

I've just done this today to my T6.1. The instructions provided by PF jones regarding the BCM connections seem to vary. I went with the red/black cable but the T6.1's have 3 BCM connections. I've now got multiple error messages on the dash and VCDS can't communicate with a few modules. Going to take another look tomorrow so will update then.

I've just done this today to my T6.1. The instructions provided by PF jones regarding the BCM connections seem to vary. I went with the red/black cable but the T6.1's have 3 BCM connections. I've now got multiple error messages on the dash and VCDS can't communicate with a few modules. Going to take another look tomorrow so will update then.
I Spoke to to one of the PF Jones lads in the Manchester workshop, just to double check, they just asked for the order number for the towbar, and we're really helpful.
Mines a T6 so I couldn't advise.
By the end of today you will be the T6 1 tow bar bar wiring expert.

OK so update for the 6.1 owners. Just taken the van out for a short drive and the error messages cleared straight away. Tested the 13 pin tow bar and all outputs reading correctly.
So to confirm and hopefully help a few others out, the BCM plugs that need to come out are the middle one and the one on the right as you sit looking at the steering wheel (instructions suggest it's the one on the left)
There's hardly any room to get your hands up but it is doable so percevere. Becareful of the BCM connector clamp blocks as I broke one releasing it, they're very stiff.
I detached the existing cables from the blocks and terminated the new cables (Option 1 on PF jones instructions)
I used the red and black cable, not the one with yellow rings.
VCDS coding varied a lot when looking at the instructions, a lot of the modules they suggest wern't available for me.
I haven't hooked a caravan up yet to test the coding so will be back and update for VCDS guidance if I get issues.

Back