Highlands

Albielab

Going upto to Fort William in September. Anyone got any good tips. Just me the wife and my 12 year old Lab. So nothing too strenuous lol. Dog friendly places of big interest.... Jeff

glen nevis campsite is really nice , two pubs within walking distance , one ok , one good .

@JOEL 1 - We completed the NC500 this Easter and found the below useful:

These are the 2 books we bought:

1. The North Coast 500 Guide Book | Waterstones

@£12.95 its the cheaper of the 2 books, published in 2017 but I believe with better info than book number 2

2. Destination NC500: Amazon.co.uk: Destination Earth Guides: 9781739848408: Books

@ £22.99 & published in Dec 21, so the info is more up to date, but I still think book 1 is better.

We stopped @

1657058285531.png

Portmahomack is a church campsite, very small & basic, but clean & leads direct onto the beach (25m max), village pub & shop etc.

& I would definitely drive down the east side of Loch Ness, heading towards Fort William to drive home
The last night to stop in a hotel at Loch Ness was a good idea & I would recommend this.

We drove nearly 500 miles in 1 day to reach the start of the NC500, drove approx 600 miles around it over the 9 days (as we kept coming off the route to visit nice places) & then drove the 500 miles back home on the last day.
I wouldn't like to complete it in any shorter length of time.
I would go back like a shot as there are many more beautiful places to visit.
Well, well worth the time to visit, but as you have to move on every morning, you have to pack lightly so as not to waste time.

There is plenty of info on line & if you use the Forum "Search Function" you'll find more good places to visit.

Good luck...

On the west coast, don't try to drive too far in a day. There are lots of single track roads so average speeds are low. And there is so much stunning scenery to stop and look at. Don't rush, it is a fantastic drive.

We did this in May, and yes it is stunning (especially the west). We read most of the advised books/blogs and made bullet proof plans; only to find that most days we ventured off piste and went where the views and beaches took us. So my top tip, is plan but don’t be a slave to it!

Yeah, don't bother with the east coast or Jonn O'Groats.
Oh but the road from Bonar Bridge to Dunbeath / Wick has some cracking scenery and bends.

Third year up here and it never ceases to bring out a smile, even when making a bit of progress in a 2.4t brick on wheels.

Three "Grand Tours" of Scotland for us over the past three years so for what it's worth;
The NC500 seems to be more of a box ticking exercise these days, there are far more interesting, spectacular and less crowded places as others have already indicated.
Why not go over to the Outer Hebrides? The scenery on Harris and Lewis breathtaking in a different way and the roads less busy.
The Isle of Skye is definitely also worth a visit and I can recommend Torvaig campsite just outside of Portree.
I can also recommend Sunnyside Croft near Arisaig, Uig Bay Campsite near the Uig ferry terminal, Isle of Skye, Glen Nevis campsite near Fort William, Grantown on Spey Caravan Park, Glenmore campsite on Loch Morlich, the A835 from Garve to Ullapool, the A838 from Lairg to Laxford Bridge (an episode of the real Grand Tour was filmed here), the A712 through the Clattershaws (including the campsite in the Forest and Wildlife Centre, the A82 from Tyndrum to Glen Coe and many, many other roads / places.
Oh and avoid the A890 from Auchertyre to Strathcarron - the scenery is pretty but the road is atrocious!
Hope this helps

Back