Weight plate confusion

Andy Power

T6 Pro
Please could somebody explain what this means please - I’m trying to find out what the maximum weight of a caravan I can pull with my T6 4motion Kombi. Iv been told this is what I need to see to find out. Unfortunately it means nothing to me.... the Caravans i have been looking at vary between 1610kgs to 1960kgs one was 2000kgs.
could someone help me out with this please.
tia
CD263C71-5224-4B21-B77F-1D924A949360.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
This might help....
750kg

VW Transporter towing capacity
Unbraked towing capacity on all T6 and T6. 1 Transporters is 750kg. Braked towingcapacity ranges from 1,800kg to 2,500kg on SWB panel van models, and from 2,200kg to 2,500kg on LWB panel van models.3 Feb 2020

This might help....
750kg

VW Transporter towing capacity
Unbraked towing capacity on all T6 and T6. 1 Transporters is 750kg. Braked towingcapacity ranges from 1,800kg to 2,500kg on SWB panel van models, and from 2,200kg to 2,500kg on LWB panel van models.3 Feb 2020

mine is a T6 T32 Kombi 4-motion.
so I’m ok up to 2.500.. the Caravans I have been looking at Are around 1,800 to 1950kgs

The plate identifies your van as a T32: 3200kg
Second line is your max train weight, total weight including trailer/caravan.
Third weight is front axle weight rating.
Fourth is rear axle weight rating.

The plate identifies your van as a T32: 3200kg
Second line is your max train weight, total weight including trailer/caravan.
Third weight is front axle weight rating.
Fourth is rear axle weight rating.

so am I ok with a caravan around 2,000?

mine is a T6 T32 Kombi 4-motion.
so I’m ok up to 2.500.. the Caravans I have been looking at Are around 1,800 to 1950kgs
Hi ...Your ok to look at any thing up to 2500 But it has to be a braked unit ( has its own brakes ) with a trailer nose weight of up to 100kg ( trailer nose weight is the weight of the hitch on the tow bar )

so am I ok with a caravan around 2,000?

Yes. Maximum train weight is 5300 and max vehicle weight is 3200 so you can go max 2100kg, but that weight is for the caravan and anything it’s carrying. The caravans you’re looking at will have 2 weights. One unladen weight and one that is the max laden weight. You need the max laden weight to be under 2100kg to be safe.

You need to be careful when people are quoting generic towing allowances from manuals etc. Always go by the capacity on your weight plate. A Kombi might be different to the equivalent panel van which might be different to the equivalent caravelle etc.

You need to be careful when people are quoting generic towing allowances from manuals etc. Always go by the capacity on your weight plate. A Kombi might be different to the equivalent panel van which might be different to the equivalent caravelle etc.
Hi just so there is no confusion this was taken directly from Vw owners manual ..

1A6BA916-C019-4E01-B495-BDA84AD8EAD4.jpeg

Hi just so there is no confusion this was taken directly from Vw owners manual ..

View attachment 79628
It’s not quite that simple. Maximum permitted gross combination weight is 5300kg. That cannot be exceeded, so the way I interpret that table is that if your van+its own load (when using it for towing) are less than 2800kg you can tow up to 2500kg. Every kg you go above 2800kg with the van means you lose a kg from your towing capacity.

In reality I would suspect anyone towing a caravan wouldn’t have their van loaded so highly, but in any case there’s a further consideration. It is recommended that you only ever tow 85% of the vehicle weight, but not a legal requirement and not enforceable, but that advice is there to stop trailers or caravans that are heavier than the towing vehicle taking control and causing an accident.

It’s safer to err on the side of caution and stick to the “max train weight minus vehicle gross weight” to give the safe towing weight. That is the recommendation from many motoring organisations including the AA, RAC etc to ensure that it doesn’t get complicated and people inadvertently go above the safe weight.

As an example, if you’re towing 2500kg down a steep hill and your van is running at 2000kg and you hit the brakes hard your van is going to stop quickly, it has good brakes after all. The caravan will not stop as quickly and will try and overtake you/push you down a hill possibly causing a nasty accident. That’s one example of the dangers, but there are others.

It’s not quite that simple. Maximum permitted gross combination weight is 5300kg. That cannot be exceeded, so the way I interpret that table is that if you’re van+its own load (when using it for towing) are less than 2800kg you can tow up to 2500kg. Every kg you go above 2800kg with the van means you lose a kg from your towing capacity.

In reality I would suspect anyone towing a caravan wouldn’t have their van loaded so highly, but in any case there’s a further consideration. It is recommended that you only ever tow 85% of the vehicle weight, but not a legal requirement and not enforceable, but that advice is there to stop trailers or caravans that are heavier than the towing vehicle taking control and causing an accident.

It’s safer to err on the side of caution and stick to the “max train weight minus vehicle gross weight” to give the safe towing weight. That is the recommendation from many motoring organisations including the AA, RAC etc to ensure that it doesn’t get complicated and people inadvertently go above the safe weight.

As an example, if you’re towing 2500kg down a steep hill and your van is running at 2000kg and you hit the brakes hard your van is going to stop quickly, it has good brakes after all. The caravan will not stop as quickly and will try and overtake you/push you down a hill possibly causing a nasty accident. That’s one example of the dangers, but there are others.
Hi...Quite agree...the thread stated off with what’s the maximum I can tow. but unfortunately individuals that have never towed don’t have to pass any tests to prove they can tow safely ..and I’ve seen many a van go over due to poor driving..Older vans tended to be single axle so very much lighter...but now we have twin axle braked units that are safer...but never the less you should never go over the all up weights combined :thumbsup:

. but unfortunately individuals that have never towed don’t have to pass any tests to prove they can tow safely

This not quite true, it’s dependant on when you passed your test. I can’t remember when it changed though.

To clarify the weight thing, your van cannot legally exceed 3,200kg and the caravan weight cannot exceed 2,500kg - however when they form a combination they cannot weigh more than 5,300kg.

So if your van weighs 3,000kg then your caravan cannot weigh more than 2,300kg - remember this is the actual weight including all your trinkets, clothes, food etc etc (I.e. as if you drove them onto a weighbridge.

The individual axle weights won’t add up to the 3,200kg.

If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you can:
- drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
- tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg (That won't apply to T6 drivers)

You have to pass the car and trailer driving test if you want to tow anything heavier.

If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg MAM.
You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.

Re driving licences the above is correct but you should remember that it’s about Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) so your T32 has a MAM of 3,200kg regardless of load so the MAM of your trailer can not exceed 300kg so whilst an empty trailer may weigh less, it’s irrelevant - I doubt you will find a trailer with a MAM of 300kg or less so it’s unlikely anyone with the trailer restriction on their licence could tow with a transporter.

Drivers often get confused with the weight regulations as they are applied differently to the vehicle and driver, remember in law, ignorance is no excuse...

Hi All... Yes you are all correct...it’s difficult at times to actually write what you mean...I fully understand the license implications for when you pass your test ...In theory anyone can tow a trailer (within the licence limits) without taking any form of competence To prove they can tow safely ( if you intend to tow over the weight limits a new licence is required that includes a towing test )
The Dangerous part is vehicle manufacturers will tell you what the vehicle can tow not what your licence allows you to tow...so as @Daffy just said drivers get confused

As I read it (hence the comments on confusion...) the post 1997 rules suggest that the total MAM can be as much as 4250 kg if driving a 3500 kg MAM vehicle towing a 750 kg MAM trailer.
As soon as the trailer goes over 750 kg MAM the total MAM drops to 3500 kg. Seems silly but one additional kg on the trailer MAM will drop the total MAM by essentially the weight of the whole trailer.

With my T32 therefore (as a post '97 licence holder) I can tow a 750 kg trailer creating a total MAM of 3950 kg within the limit of 4250 kg.

So, back to @Andy Power and the original question. If you passed your test after January 1st 1997 you can tow a trailer/caravan with a maximum MAM of 750 kg...pretty small one that.
You haven't said when you passed so assuming your are a pre 1997 licence holder your limit will be 8250 kg MAM for both added together. However, the trailer/caravan MAM must be lower than the tow vehicle's. Therefore....
T32 (3200 Kg MAM) max towable weight is 3199 kg MAM for a total MAM of 6399 kg. This obviously falls well within the 8250 kg absolute maximum MAM. Additionally, any trailer/caravan over 750 kg MAM must have a dedicated braking system.

As I read it......

Edit. WRONG!.... See below.

Last edited:
As I read it (hence the comments on confusion...) the post 1997 rules suggest that the total MAM can be as much as 4250 kg if driving a 3500 kg MAM vehicle towing a 750 kg MAM trailer.
As soon as the trailer goes over 750 kg MAM the total MAM drops to 3500 kg. Seems silly but one additional kg on the trailer MAM will drop the total MAM by essentially the weight of the whole trailer.

With my T32 therefore (as a post '97 licence holder) I can tow a 750 kg trailer creating a total MAM of 3950 kg within the limit of 4250 kg.

So, back to @Andy Power and the original question. If you passed your test after January 1st 1997 you can tow a trailer/caravan with a maximum MAM of 750 kg...pretty small one that.
You haven't said when you passed so assuming your are a pre 1997 licence holder your limit will be 8250 kg MAM for both added together. However, the trailer/caravan MAM must be lower than the tow vehicle's. Therefore....
T32 (3200 Kg MAM) max towable weight is 3199 kg MAM for a total MAM of 6399 kg. This obviously falls well within the 8250 kg absolute maximum MAM. Additionally, any trailer/caravan over 750 kg MAM must have a dedicated braking system.

As I read it......

All good except the maximum combined weight of the T32 and trailer must not exceed 5,300kg (as per the plate), that’s actual weights rather than MAM and maximum trailer weight (again actual not MAM) should not exceed 2,500kg (assuming the vehicle handbook applies to the OP’s van also), as a std Kombi weighs over 2,000kg off the production line it wouldn’t be wise to go much over 2,100kg trailer weight.

Also worth remembering the nose weight of the trailer will be around 80kg so if you are loaded up and close to the 3,200kg limit then hitch your caravan then you maybe exceeding your vehicle MAM and DVSA view that as a major safety issue.

This is the problem when you couple a trailer as the combined MAM‘S of a van and a load carrying trailer could easily exceed the Gross Train Weight (GTW) of the towing vehicle meaning that MAM weights and actual weights should be considered - A good example would be a twin axle car trailer, obviously it’s not so critical with a caravan.

Remember this is a commercial vehicle (unless you are registered as a Motorhome) so the weight rules are much more clearly defined and enforced as the law takes the view that a driver is ‘professional’, as opposed to a car where it’s accepted that the driver isn’t so aware of the rules.

Back