Pau1GTI

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Big day for Bryan our camper tomorrow.

He's due to be weighed and I'm slightly nervious with him being a T28 and a fully loaded camper. I over looked this at the start as always thought it would be more than enough.

No roof just yet so all should be fine for now but hoping with only two of us we won't be close to the upper limit of a t28 once the roof (sca) gets fitted in the near future.

Will keep you posted, always good to know what they come in at.

Wish me luck guys haha

Paul

20181216_111908.jpg

You should be fine, I have a fully converted T28 with a poptop and even fully loaded with no space left to stuff anything into and with all fuel and water tanks brimmed I had over 130kg left. Good luck

We weighed in at 2870kg fully loaded with everything we could conceivably take with us for a week (and some) - this included 3 bikes, 3 people, 2 dogs and all tanks full - with just the 2 of you, you should be fine.

Mine was 2520, full conversion with 2 people, Thule rack with 2 bikes, full diesel tank and shopping, but empty water tanks. You'll be fine.
Dont forget to also do both axles individually :)

Something else to consider, which will help explain some of the large variations we see in the weights of our campers, is the starting spec of the van, e.g. there is about 90kg difference in weight between a Startline 102ps Manual and a Highline 150ps DSG.

Thanks guys,

She weighed in at 2600kg..

That's a full conversion without a roof.

Both water and fuel brimming and 2 bikes on a tow bar rack and me and the Mrs weighing 65kg each. Includes about 2 weeks of cloths and all the other stuff.

So we are fine but will be getting close with a sca roof and awning perhaps, anyone know what they weigh actually?

Cheers
Paul

Roll out awnings such as Fiamma will add around 20kg, driveway awnings another 15-30 kg depending on what you go for - biggest weight gain will be the SCA roof - struggling to find any details re the net weight gain but it will be quite a lot (guessing around 30-50kg) - but you should still be well within the 200kg you have to play with (even if you do both put a few KGs on over Christmas :)).

Remember you will be losing some original roof when the new one is added.

You guys are brilliant, thanks for all your input.

I was concerned they may have weighted close to 150kg, but you forget just how heavy that is.

Cheers
Paul

Just for anyone wondering here is the spec that came in at 2600kg

T6 150bhp TDI T28 DSG highline

Full tank of fuel
Cak 21L underslung water tank full
6.4kg underslung gas tank
Webasto heater
Webasto 49L fridge
Domestic twin hob cooker and sink
Altair 112mm RIB bed with evo pull out drawers
Evo furnature with over head lockers
Full vanshades blinds and splashback
Twin from seats
Tailgate
2 x bikes at 15kg each
atera strada dl3 bike carrier
Witter detachable tow bar
Redarc dc to dc charger
110mah battery
Cbe 210 Power Management with a.c. to dc charger
18mm ply floor
Vanshades door mounted fold out table
Windows all round including tail gate
Full pots and pans, clothing and ready to go camping for 2 weeks.
17" Devonports
B14 bilsteins
2 passengers approx 65kg each

I hope that helps anyone in the future.

I tried to track down the SCA 194 weight today with difficulty. Best info I found was a company who normally ships 5 at a time on pallets and said the combined weight of all 5 was 500kg with packaging. So my guess is 100kg. As you say, minus the roof coming off I should be fine.

It is tight for anyone with kids etc perhaps but fine for us.

Hopefully this helps anyone in the future.

Thanks again guys
Paul

Just had her weighed today so I left my usual kit in there, put 36litres of water on board, the mountain bike on the back and threw in a 48 sheet box of silent coat for good measure...
2380 gross, with me on board too.
Then moved forward to just after half way to get an idea of the back axle
So, given she's a T28 I'm good for loading so the question is would she ride better with a firmer spring at the back?
I'm aiming for H&R ARB anyway but just wonder if the updated springs would be necessary? Or suggested.

A set of rear OEM T32 springs will keep the rear from sagging under high weights, and give you a firmer more planted rear . . . . . if your not looking to go B14`s or looking to adjust the ride hights.

I've done this on an overweight T30, which sorted out the back end. (but kept the T30 front setup)

Thanks @Dellmassive. I'm not really looking to lower or go OTT with suspension. I'm tempted and curious about the eibach for the adjustable rear but if I can get away with springs I'll go there.
I've read loads on the forum to the point I'm confused again, how would the T32 stiffness rate against the standard T28 springs? Do I need to get into the colour codes for stiffness? :confused:

im not sure on the stiffness code, i had VWVC fit mine when the last van was in for a new rear diff. . . . . .i just paid for the springs (same shocks) and they fitted them for free.

The T28 to T32 difference is shown on the axle weight plate under the bonet (LHS)

heres mine for a T32.....

front - 1710kg
rear - 1720kg

20190810_111033.jpg

So the stiffness will be a factor of the extra weight that the T32 rear spring set can hold up to a level ride.

@Kramsdog postyed this a while ago:

2.0TDI 150PS 6-speed manual T28 total 2,800 kg.
front axle. 1,600kg
Rear axle. 1,550 kg

upgrading your T28 1550kg rear springs for a T32 1720kg will give you an extra 170kg (across the rear axle) of weight load capacity or effective stiffness.

when i done it and the van was empty the rear was very "springy" . . . but as soon as we loaded up the rear the van settled down to the normal ride height and run perfect with no sagging . . . . Previously we were maxing out the suspension travel and hitting the bump stops over speed ramps . . . even at low speed due to the old springs not being "stiff" enough to cope with the weight.

have a look at you plate and see what the axle weights are.

im sure you can get a very cheap set of T32 rear springs . . . . as many people that go B14`s have them spare...

not 100% sure if the OEM ARB . . . . is the same across the range? - you would expect the T32 to be stiffer than a T28 ARB. but theu may be the same.?

example of standard T32 spring set:

1.jpg

Last edited:
Ah also !!!

you have the standard T32 springs (that i upgraded to on the last van)

and the T32 OEM Sportline springs - which are 30mm lower than the standard springs. (eibach)

more info:

EIBACH PRO LOWERING SPRINGS 30MM VW T5 & T6
Eibach PRO Lowering Springs 30mm VW T5 Transporter & Caravelle 2003-2015 & VW T6 Transporter & Caravelle 2015 onwards

Lower your VW T5 or T6 by 30mm with our superb Eibach PRO lowering springs.

Eibach are renowned around the world for their excellent quality so you can be sure that you're getting the best with this kit.

Eibach springs are engineered and tested for optimum handling and designed to work with standard dampers, enjoy great ride comfort and a sporty lowered look with these fantastic springs.

Be sure to select the right option for your T5 or T6 as there are two options depending on the weight of the front of your vehicle.

VW T5 Transporter & Caravelle Models:
VW0993 – 4cyl diesel engines excluding DSG and Bi Turbo models.
VW0995 – 4cyl Diesel engines fitted with DSG or Bi Turbo, 5cyl diesel engines all models.

VW T6 Transporter & Caravelle Models:
VW0993 – Maximum Weight on front axle - 1550kg
VW0995 – Maximum Weight on front axle - 1710kg

*The T6 choice requires you to check your vin plate located in the engine bay to gain front axle weights*

Please select from the drop down box below the kit required for your vehicle.

Fitment:
VW T5 Transporter, Caravelle & California 03-09 and 2010-2015.
VW T6 Transporter & Caravelle 2015 onwards.

The VW T5 & T6 factory specification Sportline models have these lowering springs as standard.

When having new or up-rated suspension fitted it's advisable to replace such things like the rear coil spring mounting cups as these can sometimes be worn. When uprating your suspension, using old worn parts can sometimes cause vibration or knocking from the worn components so we always advise to replace these parts at the same time. Please Click Here for the genuine VW OE rear spring cups.

Please note we do not offer a fitting service for 4Motion models. If you have a Sportline model your vehicle will already be lowered by -30m.

All specified lowering rates may vary approx. +/- 10 mm depending on vehicle standard specification, options, tolerances & age. For example camper conversions, carrying more or less weight in the rear.

*After any adjustment to a vehicles ride height it is recommend the vehicle’s geometry is checked and re-aligned using suitable equipment. Failure to do can result in excessive and uneven tyre wear and in extreme cases even affect the vehicles handling. Please note Vanstyle do not offer an alignment/geometry service and alignment is NOTincluded within the Free Fitting Service.*

Eibach PRO Lowering Springs 30mm VW T5 T6 - Vanstyle

Last edited:
Reactions: dj_
above edited :

and a quick look at whats involved :

and a full set - all round.

Last edited:
Back