Webasto Overhead Control Panel.

Henrik

Hi,
329E276F-DA23-43EA-8C4C-33D0D26F6C36.jpeg Hi,

I would like to install a diesel heater in an T6 van conversion. I would really like an overhead control panel for it, like this one... Does anyone know were (if at all)I can get that?

Kind regards,

Henrik

Hi,

I would like to install a diesel heater in an T6 van conversion. I would really like an overhead control panel for it, like this one... Does anyone know were (if at all)I can get that?

Kind regards,

Henrik
Not really answering your question but this is overhead panel which was a factory installed option for mine (MY2016). I think the new ones are the same - or at least very similar - haven't really paid attention if the latest ones are any different.
I can't tell if the functionality fits your purpose. Mine has been configured to heat up the engine first and then the cabin and it uses van's regular heaters blower to warm up the cabin. I know it can be configured different ways like - cabin only, engine only, cabin first then engine, etc.
The configurations above can't be done through the panel, need to use VCDS or VW tools to do that.
Webasto_overhead.jpg

Thanks for that. Looks very sleek!! Does anyone know if you can fit it to an aftermarket Webasto (or similar) diesel heater, instead of their own branded controllers? I can’t find any info on it anywhere...

Hello, I have the same panel in mine. Do you have any instructions for the heater timer controls? I'm in Norway and trying to set it up with a Norwegian owners manual

Hello, I have the same panel in mine. Do you have any instructions for the heater timer controls? I'm in Norway and trying to set it up with a Norwegian owners manual
Hello Norway! I have a manual in Finnish if that helps :). Actually in forum's download section there is the same in English "T6 Owners Manual". Pages 332-339. But I have to admit that the instructions are not too clear in either of those. And there are slight differences if you have the auxiliary air heater or coolant heater o_O (as I do).

Panel is activated by pressing any button - if dim. Timer settings activate just pressing and holding "timer" button for a few seconds - after that it should be quite self-explanatory using UP/DOWN (now the left buttons) to move around in the selections, RETURN/OK (now the right buttons) to reject or confirm your selection. No need to have even key in ignition. Hope this helps?

Note: There was a software patch in autumn 2016 for the controller. Before the patch preprogrammed heating times were sometimes lost :thumbsdown:.

Hello Norway! I have a manual in Finnish if that helps :). Actually in forum's download section there is the same in English "T6 Owners Manual". Pages 332-339. But I have to admit that the instructions are not too clear in either of those. And there are slight differences if you have the auxiliary air heater or coolant heater o_O (as I do).

Panel is activated by pressing any button - if dim. Timer settings activate just pressing and holding "timer" button for a few seconds - after that it should be quite self-explanatory using UP/DOWN (now the left buttons) to move around in the selections, RETURN/OK (now the right buttons) to reject or confirm your selection. No need to have even key in ignition. Hope this helps?

Note: There was a software patch in autumn 2016 for the controller. Before the patch preprogrammed heating times were sometimes lost :thumbsdown:.
I can read a little Norwegian but I doubt I'll do any better in Finnish ;-)
Do you have any problems with setting for everyday? I set mine and it works for one day then turns off.

Reactions: mmi
Just read your another post where you mentioned that would like to have it on Mon-Fri.

You are right, it is a kind of one shot thing. When having set for everyday, it really runs only once and I have to activate it next day again :thumbsdown:. Yes, can do that but not really the way I would like it to be. In a way I can understand it a kind of safety feature, because you could just forget it keep on heating everyday forever, but still... could also use it as Mon-Fri type of thing.

I'm using now just the remote - the engine warms up in less than 10 minutes up to +30-35C and then moves on to heat the cabin - when it is -20C outside. So in the morning just switch it on and have another cup of coffee - the van will be waiting me hot when I'm ready!

Hi John,
I went to the Webasto Operating Manuals page [1] where I found manuals for their equipment in many languages.
Are the manuals for your heater and your timer not here?
Regards, Richard.
[1] Webasto - Technical Services - Operating Manuals
Hi Richard. Possibly yes but I don't know the model, I just know it's a Webasto. Someone has posted the pages in the manual now. I was looking for a Mon - Fri setting but it doesn't seem to work.
Thanks.

Just read your another post where you mentioned that would like to have it on Mon-Fri.

You are right, it is a kind of one shot thing. When having set for everyday, it really runs only once and I have to activate it next day again :thumbsdown:. Yes, can do that but not really the way I would like it to be. In a way I can understand it a kind of safety feature, because you could just forget it keep on heating everyday forever, but still... could also use it as Mon-Fri type of thing.

I'm using now just the remote - the engine warms up in less than 10 minutes up to +30-35C and then moves on to heat the cabin - when it is -20C outside. So in the morning just switch it on and have another cup of coffee - the van will be waiting me hot when I'm ready!
Yes, it's a great system but I don't see the point in having an everyday setting that cannot be used. Oh well, another coffee it is then ;-)
Thanks.

So... does anyone know IF I can buy the overhead panel and make it work with a diesel heater like the Webasto Air Top 2000 or similar?

Not really answering your question but this is overhead panel which was a factory installed option for mine (MY2016). I think the new ones are the same - or at least very similar - haven't really paid attention if the latest ones are any different.
I can't tell if the functionality fits your purpose. Mine has been configured to heat up the engine first and then the cabin and it uses van's regular heaters blower to warm up the cabin. I know it can be configured different ways like - cabin only, engine only, cabin first then engine, etc.
The configurations above can't be done through the panel, need to use VCDS or VW tools to do that.
View attachment 15085

Hi @mmi, I called in to VW in Czech where I live, I was very hopeful to be able to just simply add the Telestart as I have the same heater as you and what appears to be the same overhead controller.

After running my VIN they simply said it can't be done, I asked why and was told simply that it can't communicate. In my MY18 the overhead panel only controls the Eberspatcher and the Webasto Is fully automatic.

The mode button does little or nothing other than sub-menues for the Eberspatcher. It doesn't help that they don't usually sell many auxiliary heaters.

Do you have both heaters and if so can they both be controlled via the panel? Many thanks in advance. I feel terrible knowing the auxiliary heater only starts 10s after the engine.

Hi @mmi, I called in to VW in Czech where I live, I was very hopeful to be able to just simply add the Telestart as I have the same heater as you and what appears to be the same overhead controller.

After running my VIN they simply said it can't be done, I asked why and was told simply that it can't communicate. In my MY18 the overhead panel only controls the Eberspatcher and the Webasto Is fully automatic.

The mode button does little or nothing other than sub-menues for the Eberspatcher. It doesn't help that they don't usually sell many auxiliary heaters.

Do you have both heaters and if so can they both be controlled via the panel? Many thanks in advance. I feel terrible knowing the auxiliary heater only starts 10s after the engine.
Hi @Chris You'll - I have been reading your posts also in Webasto Auxiliary Heater - customizing and thought that the problem was almost solved.

I have only Webasto engine coolant heater. So the control panel is dedicated to that.

And I think it not just nice in temperatures below -20C to preheat the engine before starting it - when -30C :cool: might be even only way to make the engine start :D.

As I mentioned it is configured to preheat engine up to about 35C before it starts blowing hot air into cabin (takes about 8 mins at -20C before cabin heating starts). I need to ask the dealer how they made this happen as it was not like that from factory. Possibly just the coding of Webasto... perhaps also engine coolant flow, definitely no hardware or wiring changes.

Up here one of the factory options is to buy Webasto engine coolant heater without the control panel but with a remote - I think that it would be almost the configuration you are now targeting at - confusing to hear that it can't be done :speechless:.

Hi @Chris You'll - I have been reading your posts also in Webasto Auxiliary Heater - customizing and thought that the problem was almost solved.

I have only Webasto engine coolant heater. So the control panel is dedicated to that.

And I think it not just nice in temperatures below -20C to preheat the engine before starting it - when -30C :cool: might be even only way to make the engine start :D.

As I mentioned it is configured to preheat engine up to about 35C before it starts blowing hot air into cabin (takes about 8 mins at -20C before cabin heating starts). I need to ask the dealer how they made this happen as it was not like that from factory. Possibly just the coding of Webasto... perhaps also engine coolant flow, definitely no hardware or wiring changes.

Up here one of the factory options is to buy Webasto engine coolant heater without the control panel but with a remote - I think that it would be almost the configuration you are now targeting at - confusing to hear that it can't be done :speechless:.

You have actually really helped by this answer, to me it's obvious now that the panel can only control one of the heaters at a time or can only be connected to one.

It's connected to the Eberspatcher so that's what if controls, if I had just the Webasto it would control that. VW believe whether right or not that the controller is required for the Telestart hence their answer that it's not compatible with my VIN #.

I'm going to energise the 12v terminal that @Loz mentioned on the Webster and if this works then it's a step forward. Now off to learn how to read electrical drawings (civil engineer here). Was a bit nervous and didn't understand the drawings but now have improved motivation. Thanks for your help.

You have actually really helped by this answer, to me it's obvious now that the panel can only control one of the heaters at a time or can only be connected to one.

It's connected to the Eberspatcher so that's what if controls, if I had just the Webasto it would control that. VW believe whether right or not that the controller is required for the Telestart hence their answer that it's not compatible with my VIN #.

I'm going to energise the 12v terminal that @Loz mentioned on the Webster and if this works then it's a step forward. Now off to learn how to read electrical drawings (civil engineer here). Was a bit nervous and didn't understand the drawings but now have improved motivation. Thanks for your help.
Hi @Chris You'll ,it might be worth contacting these guys in Germany
Standheizung von Webasto und Eberspächer online kaufen. Jetzt bestellen bei www.standheizungs-shop.de
They were very helpful with advice about there kits

Does anyone know what the part number is for this overhead heater panel? I’m wanting to fit one into my T6 but can’t find the part number for one. Even the VW dealer couldn’t find it?
It’s the cowl or the trim which holds the switch that I’m after

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the part number is for this overhead heater panel? I’m wanting to fit one into my T6 but can’t find the part number for one. Even the VW dealer couldn’t find it?
It’s the cowl or the trim which holds the switch that I’m after
Not the answer but in T6 the actual control unit is 7E5 919 037 G (...J). Not sure if that can be further "disassembled".
webasto_overhead-jpg.15085

Back