Webasto heater upgrade

Crewey

T6 Pro
Just upgraded my auxiliary heater to parking heater. It’s no good for camping, it’d just flatten your battery. But early morning starts, which I do a lot, by the time you’ve finished your coffee the vans toasty, frost free and a warm engine.

Nice! Still what kind of solution did you choose - factory order? Or separete WEBASTO Thermo call or remote?

Webasto basic remote for now, you have update the heater software also, as the T6 auxiliary heaters are VW spec and don’t give the signal out to start the vans heater blower.

Hi Crewey - this may be just what I need! I had another thread running which kind of indicated this possible, but wasn't 100% sure. This is really interesting! Please can you provide more specifics of the process you followed? And where did you obtain the software upgrade and how was it performed. My van is 2017 T6 highline with Webasto Auxilliary heater.

Kind regards
Jim

@Crewey ,which kit did you use and where did you get it from .
I did it on my last kombi ,but the kit was some spurious make and took a lot of work to get it right .
Cheers Carl

For arriving van I'm planning to use Remuc GSM solution - simple upgrade from remote is that you are not locate-limited. Arriving on a plane and when get to car, it's nice and wam already :)

I just rang Webasto technical support to see what software I can apply to my Webasto Thermo Top Evo that was factory fitted by VW onto my 2017 T6. They told me it is impossible as the heater I have is an OEM part and it is wired completely differently to the standard aftermarket heater, and that I would need to go back to VW dealer for their kit and/or software. This is quite maddening, as my dealer say there is no upgrade kit they can supply to turn it into a parking heater and allow me to fit the webasto remote.

So @Crewey really very interested to share more details.....

Many thanks

How certain could we be it would work? Coming from abroad seems high risk purchase.
I had a very similar one fitted to my T5.1 but it had the webasto timer to control it .
I have emailed the company and they said this is the one for a T6 .
On there website it says tested on a lhd vehicle .

This is the upgrade kit I used as my van has got climatronic air-con.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/291760313125
Then I got a diagnostic interface from these guys:-
Diagnostic interface
I used the telestart T91 remote I took off my T5.1 when I got the T6. Wiring is really easy just three wires all under passenger seat. I was worried about doing the software update but it’s easy.
I did try a Webasto dealer to get it done, but first they said it couldn’t be done and then wanted £400 to fit plus parts. They also wouldn’t refund the £400 if they couldn’t get it to work.
When I’ve got time I’ll do a how to, as I did take some photos through the job.

This is the upgrade kit I used as my van has got climatronic air-con.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/291760313125
Then I got a diagnostic interface from these guys:-
Diagnostic interface
I used the telestart T91 remote I took off my T5.1 when I got the T6. Wiring is really easy just three wires all under passenger seat. I was worried about doing the software update but it’s easy.
I did try a Webasto dealer to get it done, but first they said it couldn’t be done and then wanted £400 to fit plus parts. They also wouldn’t refund the £400 if they couldn’t get it to work.
When I’ve got time I’ll do a how to, as I did take some photos through the job.
so you don't have to run a wire to the heater under the van
I thought that kit came with software?
What is the usb dongle for

No, my van had the wire for the W-bus coms from the red plug under the seat to the aux heater plug, I think it’s pin 2 (green and white wire). Mine is a Caravelle, but I would think all vans would have the same bit of loom for aux heater.
Regarding software, I’m no computer expert, but the disc they call the flashtool and I think the software/firmware is on the usb stick which once you’ve upgraded it wipes it ??

No, my van had the wire for the W-bus coms from the red plug under the seat to the aux heater plug, I think it’s pin 2 (green and white wire). Mine is a Caravelle, but I would think all vans would have the same bit of loom for aux heater.
Regarding software, I’m no computer expert, but the disc they call the flashtool and I think the software/firmware is on the usb stick which once you’ve upgraded it wipes it ??
Cheers ,I will have a look .
Is it under driver or passenger seat ?

Just finished my auxiliary heater to parking heater upgrade ,a few set backs ,mainly me been not computer savvey but luckily a young mechanic knew more about computers tgan me .
The heater required a software upgrade which is done using a flashtool ,connected to the computer,also a disc and a usb dongle . @Pauly I found the fuse for the heater control ,it is just under the steering wheel.
Also big thank you to @Crewey for his step by step photos for the software update.

Just finished my auxiliary heater to parking heater upgrade ,a few set backs ,mainly me been not computer savvey but luckily a young mechanic knew more about computers tgan me .
The heater required a software upgrade which is done using a flashtool ,connected to the computer,also a disc and a usb dongle . @Pauly I found the fuse for the heater control ,it is just under the steering wheel.
Also big thank you to @Crewey for his step by step photos for the software update.
Congratulations. Does it pump the water round the coolant circuit? Did you have to fit an extra pump? Which kit exactly did you buy? as there were several similar ones when I looked. Jim.

Back