Webasto diesel heater control question.

No - the Unibox is an interface between the older ST models and other heaters and the controller - it enables the Multicontroller to talk to the older heaters. The only possible connection to a Multicontroller is the standard W-bus connection, there is no facility for adding anything to the controller. ( The connection under the rubber plug at the bottom is for hooking up to a computer for diagnosis)
You don't say which model 2000 you have - there are 4, the original Air Top 2000, the Air Top 2000S, the Air Top 2000ST and the latest model the 2000STC ( excluding the Air Top 2000 Evo which is a special model for Volvo and Renault trucks, not on general release)
If you have the STC - as above.

Hi mate i have a airtop evo 2000 volvo 24v what is the difference? Would i be able to run this in my van with a voltage converter on a normal webasto control unit? Cheers

No - these units are tied to Renault and Volvo trucks only. They are not on sale to the general public. I don't think that there are any plans to release them generally, I have kept my ears open just in case. I bought one to play with when I saw one going cheap to try to get a controller to talk with it to no avail. Only fit for spare parts that are of limited use in other Air Top 2000 heaters, you cannot use the ecu, fan, motor, maybe heat exchanger as well, you may be able to use the exhaust temp sensor in the Evo 40 and 55. And so on....
The only way that I could semi-control it was through WTT and a computer - not the way to do it in a camper.

Reactions: mmi
No - these units are tied to Renault and Volvo trucks only. They are not on sale to the general public. I don't think that there are any plans to release them generally, I have kept my ears open just in case. I bought one to play with when I saw one going cheap to try to get a controller to talk with it to no avail. Only fit for spare parts that are of limited use in other Air Top 2000 heaters, you cannot use the ecu, fan, motor, maybe heat exchanger as well, you may be able to use the exhaust temp sensor in the Evo 40 and 55. And so on....
The only way that I could semi-control it was through WTT and a computer - not the way to do it in a camper.
Thank you very much for that info! Saved me alot of headache!! Cheers

Hello, Any thoughts on the

Webasto Heater Thermo Call TC4 Smart Phone Remote Control (Advanced Version) as an upgrade to the Multi controller? Is it any good?​

Depends upon what you are trying to achieve by using a TC4. As far as I am concerned it is an expensive gimmick. Have never used one as my phone on the wall doesn't have a screen and I can't take it out of the house. I find that a Telestart HTM100 is perfectly adequate for my needs.

Last edited:
I'm running into a bit of a problem with my Airtop 2000 STC. The kit came with a rheostat and multitroller, and the wiring loom for both. I'm attempting to add the external temp sensor sold by Butler-tecnic. Piecing together information here and elsewhere I got the impression that I had to locate the in-line resistor in the wiring loom, excise it, and wire in the temp sensor in its place. Doing so has resulted in an H94 error, temp sensor error. Now I'm seeing that I should've wired it directly into the control unit plug? If so, should I replace that in-line resistor? Like a dullard I went and lost the thing, can anyone tell me the size and rating of that resistor? I know the other resistor closer to the heater itself is 610 ohm..

It does not get wired into either controller plug. see here: Webasto controller upgrade

resist.JPG

Are you attempting to use both controllers at once? That will not work, it will only work with one.
I don't understand where you are seeing a second resistor, there should only be the taped up one (610Ω) that is replaced by the external temp sensor.

Last edited:
It does not get wired into either controller plug. see here: Webasto controller upgrade

View attachment 138762

Are you attempting to use both controllers at once? That will not work, it will only work with one.
I don't understand where you are seeing a second resistor, there should only be the taped up one (610Ω) that is replaced by the external temp sensor.

I see, so I was on the right track. The part number for the temp sensor I bought is 1319842A | 9005004B. I take it this is not the correct part? The other resistor on the heater itself I'd just heard referenced, wasn't sure what it's role was/hadn't seen it.

That is correct part number.

"Are you attempting to use both controllers at once? That will not work, it will only work with one."

That is correct part number.

"Are you attempting to use both controllers at once? That will not work, it will only work with one."
Before I removed the resistor It was working fine with both the rheostat and the multitroller, but unable to meaningfully adjust temp. I'll try just running the multi controller this evening with the temp sensor wired in place.

Hi there people,

Quick question: is there any possibility to have both the MultiControl HD and the Rheostat or another switch hooked up to the Airtop 2000 STC at the same time?

I know this sounds silly but I was curios if I could have a switch to start the heater from the dashboard and then fine tune it from the rear of the car with the MultiControl?

If there is a chance for this, any info on that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

You cannot have the two systems together - the Multicontrol is W-bus and the rheostat is 12v, completely different operation.
Just mount the Multicontrol at the top of the B pillar and you can reach it from both sides. That is where I mounted mine.

You cannot have the two systems together - the Multicontrol is W-bus and the rheostat is 12v, completely different operation.
Just mount the Multicontrol at the top of the B pillar and you can reach it from both sides. That is where I mounted mine.
Thanks a lot!
I was hoping there may be an option as I saw they have a mixed switch that includes the rotary control and a ventilation / heater toggle switch -> part 92240A.
My silly guess was that an on/off switch could be wired/located separately and used in conjunction MultiControl instead of the rotary control...but I understand they are different protocols. I guess I will end up having in on the B pillar then.
PS: did you install the remote temp sensor also on the B pillar? How high exactly?

My sensors are approximately 5ft up the B pillar, you must make sure that they don't sit in an area where there is sunlight or heating output. I would mount a temp sensor temporarily first to see if the position suits your van as the position will be different for differing layouts - my van is a high top for a start.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.
I have an aftermarket 2000 STC with the multicontroller fitted in my van, it's installed on the outside underneath. I've had the room temperature sensor for some time and need to fit it.
I spoke to the company who installed mine and they informed me I need to remove the cover on the B pillar to access the wiring to install the sensor. The multicontroller is nearby in the rear cab.

However, some information seems to suggest the resistor is at the heater end of the loom others at the controller end. If it is at heater where would i access this inside the van or do I need to remove everything on the outside?

If it is a recent STC the resistor will be at the Multicontrol end, it is only on the ST and a very few early STC models that used an ST loom that the resistor may be at the heater end. Your installers should know where it is on yours so ignore U tube and word of mouth from a guy down the pub! ( roughly 20cm - 8" in real money down from the plug for the controller )

IMG_2177 (Copy).JPG

If it is a recent STC the resistor will be at the Multicontrol end, it is only on the ST and a very few early STC models that used an ST loom that the resistor may be at the heater end. Your installers should know where it is on yours so ignore U tube and word of mouth from a guy down the pub! ( roughly 20cm - 8" in real money down from the plug for the controller )

View attachment 180811
I recognise your username from the Cali forums. ;) Hope life is treating you well. :D

Recent in the last 4 years I think, definitely an STC. Thanks for confirming that is really great, I will go with the installers recommendation. A job for Sunday then, and can't deny seems a lot easier to have it that end of the loom, glad they changed that. I just have to remove passenger seatbelt and trim to access.

I will let you know how it goes. :)

Back