Waze Soon To Be On Car Play

Andyman

Photographer
T6 Guru
apple are supposedly releasing iOS 12 in September 2018 and this update includes the ability to display Waze and other maps via CarPlay

I don’t go much on Vw satnav as used to Waze, lots of people I’ve spoken to are very excited about Waze coming to Vw T6

The Apple event is scheduled for the 12th so it might be a case of “...and you can get ios12.....today” or a later date, but the beta updates are coming thick and fast at the moment so finger’s crossed.

I'm not sure that carplay will be open to other nav apps immediately on IOS 12 release. It's not in the developer beta yet as I try it each update. They've already backtracked on the group FaceTime function which won't be ready in time and will come in a later update, so the carplay nav extensions may not be ready to go Sept 12th and if not will also have to follow in a later update. Several new nav apps for the iPhone being lined up too so carplay looks like suddenly being more useful.

Good news as Apple maps are total crap.
However at least Apple play works, google is very picky with a lot of android phones not working with android drive

I'm just about to update my phone contract

I'm defiantly switching to EE, because Vodafone is now total bloody rubbish now around us.
Looking forward to EE 4G-Calling; and Wifi-Calling.
I was seriously going to move away from apple, (First time in 10years ish), because of Waze & Car Play; but now I'll wait for new apple phones in the next couple of weeks, and stick with Apple.

Brilliant:waving::waving::waving:

It's a big issue with android. Great sat nav aps but I've tried a few phones and only the google pixel works on my head unit. Apparently even Galaxy have had issues. It's the skins manufacturers use over the stock android that buggers things up. I for one hope Waze comes soon on Apple

It's a big issue with android. Great sat nav aps but I've tried a few phones and only the google pixel works on my head unit. Apparently even Galaxy have had issues. It's the skins manufacturers use over the stock android that buggers things up. I for one hope Waze comes soon on Apple
Many people have told me that Apple Car-Play works so much better than Android Auto, so this is all good imo; and Waze looks like being a global leader.
Happy - Waze:thumbsup:

Many people have told me that Apple Car-Play works so much better than Android Auto, so this is all good imo; and Waze looks like being a global leader.
Happy - Waze:thumbsup:
Only if you have a constant internet feed..
Its a shame TomTom can't play nicely with the apple app store rules on subscription as their app with the downloaded maps would have been great on carplay.

Only if you have a constant internet feed..
Its a shame TomTom can't play nicely with the apple app store rules on subscription as their app with the downloaded maps would have been great on carplay.
Yes, I wouldn't want to only have Waze, because as you say no signal no nav in my experience.
We've got the VW discover media, but at this moment we are using a TOMTOM 6200 and the bean-bag holder because of the live traffic.
But I love waze search facility, just like google its intuitive.
Can you download a map with waze?? prior to entering a non 4G area.

Yes, I wouldn't want to only have Waze, because as you say no signal no nav in my experience.
We've got the VW discover media, but at this moment we are using a TOMTOM 6200 and the bean-bag holder because of the live traffic.
But I love waze search facility, just like google its intuitive.
Can you download a map with waze?? prior to entering a non 4G area.
I have live traffic on my discover media? :unsure:

Haven't been anywhere yet to test it, but Waze beta now on carplay in my van.... I'll see what it is like tomorrow!

IMG_4864.jpg

Waze and Google maps (and maybe other navigation apps) should now be available through Apple Car Play after updating your iPhone to IOS 12.
I've not checked it yet, but Apple themselves promised such in their pre IOS 12 info.

Well I just tried it through the Kenwood unit in my car - no joy.
Apple still say of IOS 12: "CarPlay now supports third-party navigation apps, giving drivers even more choices ...". But after updating my phone to IOS 12 last night, that is not the case today.
Maybe the third-party app developers haven't done their bit yet? (there is no update pending for Google Maps).

I just found ToTom Go now fully released on CarPlay :) I never saw any announcement since it was in Beta until I was messing with CarPlay at the weekend and found it on the menu.
All I had to do was update the app, download a map and good to go.
scaled.IMG_2099.jpg
scaled.IMG_2102.jpeg
scaled.IMG_2101.jpg

Downloaded, maps and no worry about internet connection..

I run iOS 13 on my phone and was having trouble loading Google maps and listening to streamed music.

Then I noticed there’s a new ‘low data’ setting when you connect to certain WiFi connections such as my 4g dongle.

Just a heads up really for those on the iOS 13 beta.

Downloaded and tried it out on free trial. Couldn’t find the site I’m camping at in Cornwall by name whereas Waze does. It missed the first speed camera near Truro. And then I couldn’t enter an address via the CarPlay interface (at least not that I could see how to). I think Waze is the best of them although I wish Waze had lane guidance and better junction graphics for roundabouts etc.

Finding Waze to be good. Thank God apple sorted that.
My issue is Android Auto. It is so fickle on my Head unit. Some phones will work but mine and the other half Samsung will not.
Done have a problem with CarPlay though so we have to keep my old iPhone in the van.

I just found ToTom Go now fully released on CarPlay :) I never saw any announcement since it was in Beta until I was messing with CarPlay at the weekend and found it on the menu.
All I had to do was update the app, download a map and good to go.

Downloaded, maps and no worry about internet connection..

Yes, I'd seen the TomTom integration recently. Sorry to hijack the thread - bit OT - but how do you find TomTom Go compared with "old" TomTom? I've been fighting the migration (partly because I don't have the storage space on my iphone and the appstore reviews are rubbish), but I might have to concede defeat with this... Assuming you're an old time user, what are the main "lost" features and are the 2D maps the same? It's a one way trip so I don't want to just upgrade - or can you keep them both side by side?

Again, apologies to the OP but I'll keep this sidetrack short

Back