Water Tank - internal or external?

Great thread lads, got the underslung tank lying in the back of the garage for ages. Pulled it out yesterday, had no idea where it goes, or where to fit it. Loving the idea of the internal panel tank
My plan wast to use the A354 for fresh water, and was then thinking of a collapsible water carrier for grey water just sitting under the sill when parked up‍? Thoughts?

Just seen the Reimo water tank, but it appears they no longer do it. Anyone any ideas why? Does anyone else make it now?

Bought an underslung CAK kit for my T5. Tried to fit the front tank but need to drill out a hole slightly bigger. I've also wrapped in insulating stuff to keep the freeze off a bit. I've got the double kit as I have a 4motion so can't have the bigger single tank. I've got a couple of questions though.
  1. I've ordered an inline pump as I won't be able to fit a submersible in. Do I have to do anything special with it? Or will it just pressurise the line and thats that?
  2. For waste and feed how big are your holes in the floor and how have you protected pipes? Grommets? Or have you sleeved them in PVC piping? I'm just conscious that I need to drill through my lovely floor and then the skin of the van so a grommet wouldn't really work.

Undecided on whether to have a fresh water tank fitted inside: smaller, takes up room.
Or underslung: bigger, more cupboard space.
Any thoughts please regards, cleaning / freezing of the underslung type as that's what's potentially putting me off.
Many thanks..

I find the only negative to fitting under floor is that it will freeze in winter. I use this one for fresh water and this one for waste although there may be problems fitting the latter on a Euro 6 vehicle due to a sensor being too close to the tank. Someone will come along with an answer to that.

I use a genuine VW California water and 240v inlet to fill the fresh tank, it's a bit of a fiddle to modify the pipe from the filler to feed down the inside of the van trim panel but it can be done.

2137-abbc8cdbef7c9d71076d6479dad5fd89.jpg

I don't find it necessary to clean the tank very often but I do sterilise it a couple of times a year with either Milton liquid or tablets and always carry tablets with us when abroad just in case we pick up water that gives us any doubts.
We do drain the tank on every return home and refill with fresh when needed.

The waste gets treated with Jays Fluid occasionally as it often stinks when emptied! I like the smell of that so it's no problem to us.

Just in case there is a need to access the tanks they both have a large screw on cap on the bottom.

IMO underslung as space inside is scarce.
Chemicals to clean and if you have a lowered van fit a remote valve to drain it.
If you have a relatively full tank it going to need to be pretty cold outside to freeze it, so far it’s never happened to me.
If you go underslung make sure the securing brackets and rubber cushioning are adequate to deal with both the static weight and dynamic forces on the road.

Doesn't that mean you have to shift your van every time you want to fill up? Do you carry a hose for doing it as well?

Carry a plastic watering can as well as a short hose just like many of the foreign camper owners do.

I'm thinking the bigger capacity of an external tank equates to less fill ups so not too much of a chore driving to a tap.

Where are you thinking to get the underslung tank from? I have now had a gas tank fitted underneath and the heater and just need to do water now.

I've got an underslung tank, B14s and 18" wheels.
The van is dropped about 50mm and the tank stopper on the underside where the pump goes in sits 74mm above the tarmac... this is with the van empty... we've had one scrape on a speed hump so far when ferrying adults and until then I hadn't given ground clearance a thought.

Do you really need that much water? I had an underslung tank on my last van. It was more trouble emptying it than it was worth plus I don't want a filler on the side of the van. But if you have a shower fitted it might be worth it.

My van came fitted with the tank so would be a bit vandalistic to remove it just so I can slam the van (has side filler too) but same as yourself regarding how much use the extra capacity is as I tend to top the water tank up using a smaller 5 litre plastic container Anyway rather than queue for hours behind the guys with onboard swimming pools.

Do you really need that much water? I had an underslung tank on my last van. It was more trouble emptying it than it was worth plus I don't want a filler on the side of the van. But if you have a shower fitted it might be worth it.
It very much depends on what you use the van for.
We like to wild camp for as long as possible without going to a campsite, each to there own.
If you are going to fit an underslung tank it may as well be a big one as a small one, there isn’t that much difference in effort and cost.
Obviously if we are going away for a 2 day trip we don’t completely fill, if we are doing a bit of a mystery trip making up the route as we go along then it’s filled.
IMO mystery trips are way more fun.

My water and gas tanks are both underslung. The filling points are just below the rear bumper - hozelock connection for the water tank. I have a shower attachment/pump at the back for washing down muddy boots/dogs so I can get through some water even on a one nighter. Usually fill it full then drain it once home if not using for over a week. Always drain after use in winter - never frozen yet on winter trips up north.

Back