Water pouring out of tailgate

Yeah tell me about it, the panel that lines the tailgate is currently next to our boiler drying out. PITA as can’t see an obvious place where the water is coming in. Deffo not the high level brake light though.
I said the same until I replaced mine and no more water since.

Just for info, I had a leaking rear tailgate, the dealer replaced the high level break light to no avail. They took the door card off and water tested it to trace the leak.They are now replacing the door handle as that is allegedly the cause. The amount of water that used to get in was unbelievable.

Just had a downpour and the rear door card ended up full of water. Warning light now coming on indicating door isn't closed....but it is! I had fed the rear camera cable under the seal. Hopefully this is what caused it as it's an easy 'fix'.

Fortunately I haven't detected any water ingress in the tailgate myself. However, it did occur to me could the water be entering through the numberplate fixings when open in the rain. The contour of the panel would mean water would soon pool and if inadequately sealed allow water to ingress over time. When the tailgate is closed the amount of water the fixings experience would be minimal, protected by the overhang and the numberplate itself. Similarly, the handle recess could be another weak point.

Rather negates the benefit of using the tailgate as shelter from the rain.

Back