Water pouring out of tailgate

Markymark

VIP Member
T6 Guru
havent used our van for a few weeks. Opened the rear tailgate today and water poured out from the door card. Not just a drip or two but litres of it! Can’t think it is from the conversion as they haven’t made any additional holes in the door in the outside. Perhaps the rear window is leaking or water getting in via the window wiper?

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Sounds like a call to local VW dealer as a warranty issue.

I think i'd probably get someone to hold a hose around the rear, whist you sit inside to see if it's anything obvious first. Personally I would always look for faults myself, rather than potentially lose my van to a dealer for ages while they faff around.

Pretty good chance it's the high level brake light several people have had issues with water getting in there, unfortunately though they are a one time fit, once in they have to be broken to be removed and replaced with a new one

Had the exact same issue in the summer. Took it in, they snapped the high level brake light out (only way it can be removed), replaced it, no issues since.
It is a common fault.

Remove the small plastic stoppers from the bottom edge of the door.

Apologies for resurrecting an old post but I not noticed the tailgate for card looked like it was dropping where the screws held it. Sure enough I was right the bottom of the door card is V Wet.

The high level brake light is dry but near the rear wiper is wet. Has anyone had any issues with their rear wiper leaking?

Apologies for resurrecting an old post but I not noticed the tailgate for card looked like it was dropping where the screws held it. Sure enough I was right the bottom of the door card is V Wet.

The high level brake light is dry but near the rear wiper is wet. Has anyone had any issues with their rear wiper leaking?
Is there any movement in either?

Hey @JOG Not that I can see but the water is coming in some where in that area.

Yeah tell me about it, the panel that lines the tailgate is currently next to our boiler drying out. PITA as can’t see an obvious place where the water is coming in. Deffo not the high level brake light though.

Yeah tell me about it, the panel that lines the tailgate is currently next to our boiler drying out. PITA as can’t see an obvious place where the water is coming in. Deffo not the high level brake light though.
Time to start packing below the rear window with kitchen towel or bog roll to see where is getting wet first

Any joy finding what this was? I have the exact same and had a load of water in the bottom of the tailgate. Can’t see anything obvious though seems like the middle of the panel is stained from water. Tried the washer but doesn’t seem to be it.

I think I’ll need to just keep monitoring it to see if I can find where it’s coming in:(

Any joy finding what this was? I have the exact same and had a load of water in the bottom of the tailgate. Can’t see anything obvious though seems like the middle of the panel is stained from water. Tried the washer but doesn’t seem to be it.

I think I’ll need to just keep monitoring it to see if I can find where it’s coming in:(
Think @Texxaco found it was coming in at the camera

Think @Texxaco found it was coming in at the camera
Thanks, is there a seal/gasket or something at the camera? Might is a bit wobbly so that might explain it, need to have a look at how it’s secured.

Wasn’t good when I opened the tailgate this morning...

0E33BE04-E975-469E-AF15-D8FA441C4937.jpeg

Yes I did find it. The tailgate seal wasn’t seated properly at the top. This was because I routed the rear dash wiring under the seal.

Yes I did find it. The tailgate seal wasn’t seated properly at the top. This was because I routed the rear dash wiring under the seal.
Thanks, so was that the seal at the very top of the tailgate?

This definitely seems to be around the reversing camera that it’s coming in. It looks like this just clips out so will pop it off and see if there is anything obvious. It does rattle a bit though but not sure if there is supposed to be a seal here? It does seem surprising how much water there was though to be coming ‘up’ at the camera though could’ve been leaking for a while.

Thanks, so was that the seal at the very top of the tailgate?

This definitely seems to be around the reversing camera that it’s coming in. It looks like this just clips out so will pop it off and see if there is anything obvious. It does rattle a bit though but not sure if there is supposed to be a seal here? It does seem surprising how much water there was though to be coming ‘up’ at the camera though could’ve been leaking for a while.
Remove the small rubber bungs in the very bottom of your tailgate to let the water escape. I would remove the camera and seal it with silicone if you can’t find a seal.

Remove the small rubber bungs in the very bottom of your tailgate to let the water escape. I would remove the camera and seal it with silicone if you can’t find a seal.
Thanks for the help with this. Looks like the camera was retrofitted (was on the van when I bought it) but seems like the hole was a little big for it so it rattled. Hopefully sorted now with a small bead of silicone

Thanks for the help with this. Looks like the camera was retrofitted (was on the van when I bought it) but seems like the hole was a little big for it so it rattled. Hopefully sorted now with a small bead of silicone
That’s great news @Gavinsky23. Who would think such a small peice of kit could cause such havoc.

Rubber seals really are the bees knees.

Last edited:
That’s great news @Gavinsky23. Who world think such a small price of kit could cause such havoc.

Rubber seals really are the bees knees.
I know, it’s amazing how much water got through, couldn’t believe it yesterday. Hopefully that’s it sorted. That’ll hopefully also explain the extra condensation on the screen - I thought it seemed a bit excessive :p

Back