Water marks

Mrs Salad

Hi. This is weird. Just noticed that all around the van black marks have appeared that look like it’s running water stains. We have tried everything to get them off but not shifting. Any ideas please ???? They honestly won’t shift and ate all around where windows are.

D3C055E1-044D-4179-80C1-FF70BCE1E88B.jpeg

C18D3664-0995-433F-8362-6879D53F78D1.jpeg

What have you used to try and remove the marks ?

Pete

The usual. Tried just rubbing with car wash , tried polishing out and tried some stuff bought today. Nothing shifting them and no idea why they’ve just appeared.

Looks like something leaching off of the windows seals. Have you used anything new/different to clean or shine window surrounds/seals/rubber?

Looks like the sort of black streaks that caravans normally get from water running down and bringing crap out of the awning rail and window rubbers with it. I used to use concentrated bike cleaner (as that's what I had to hand), followed by a polish and wax.

Looking at where they are, I'd give all the crevices around the windows, door handles etc, a really good pressure washing first.

Try some isopropyl alcohol
Is this a proven solution to the problem?My fibreglass high top has black sealant running all the way around it and I have the same problem with the black colour leaching out and forming streaks. Easy enough to get rid of when washing but a PITA and I’d like a more long term solution.
I’d been contemplating some kind of sealing solution, would Iso Alco be the answer?

Last edited:
I would say that IPA is worth a test. Find a test area, and give it a go. Before doing that though, i would heartily recommend washing out all the running channels (like @dubber36 recommends) and using a brush to agitate anything that may be contributing to these streaks.

Do you have any coatings on your panels for protection?

Have you tried intensive tar remover?
Autoglym and Gtechniq do a good one.

I’ve no problems getting the marks off, the paintwork is suitably protected.

I’d like to “seal” the offending black rubber to prevent it happening in the first place.

Hi. This is weird. Just noticed that all around the van black marks have appeared that look like it’s running water stains. We have tried everything to get them off but not shifting. Any ideas please ???? They honestly won’t shift and ate all around where windows are.

View attachment 115452

View attachment 115453
Try a cutting compound such as G3 - or T cut type compound and then polish after, this will work. Link below

G3

White vans seem to stain more easily than other colours
Rgds
Ian

Thanks will do.
I’ve already got Maguires canuba wax over the black rubber trim but it still bleeds through although now that I’ve checked it’s not quite so bad since putting the Maguires on, so it’s doing something.

I’ll try cutting it back and then waxing again.

Avoid T-Cut. It doesn't break down like other compounds as you use it. If you think of it like wet and dry paper, you use a coarse grit to flatten down the defects, then increasingly finer grades to remove the sanding marks left behind from the stage before. T-Cut remains coarse, whereas others break down as they are worked, giving a lesser degree of cut as they get down to a stage where they can be buffed.

Have you had aftermarket glass fitted on the rear doors? That looks like the mix of rain and the bonding used to fix camper glass. It can cause that type of streaking on white vans.

Did you try the IPA?

Have a similar issue on my van, but only the panels beneath where the screencover was on last night in heavy rain. So pretty certain mine is being caused by some dye in the black screen cover. Its brand new, as is the paintwork.

Had intended to get a coat of Turtle Wax Hybrid graphene wax on before we left but didnt get time.

So the question now is the best way to remove the marks before i do apply the graphene wax?

Back