Water Ingress In The Rear

JonB

T6 Pro
hi,

Yesterday when cleaning the van I noticed the carpet at the rear was soaking.
I took the threshold trim off and pulled up the rubber flooring but there was no sign of any more water, just in the two corners.
I can not find
Has anyone seen this before? I’ve done a search but the symptoms they have described are different to mine.
There is no water on the glass or any water coming out of the tailgate.
I have a feeling the rubbers are not sealing.
I just want to get it sorted before it does any damage to the carpet I’ve had fitted in the rear.
Also if I had to take it back the dealer would they refuse warranty because it’s been carpeted?

Thanks Jon

B094FE65-7C63-48BF-A582-3FA7BCF84460.jpeg

8A85B547-40EE-435B-BABE-D0E1EF96F9D2.jpeg

36613516-7864-4BBD-B23C-60DFA162A335.jpeg 80123E64-60E6-452E-9F7F-E11C6C37BA93.jpeg Could be the tailgate not sitting correctly, had mine back at the dealers more times than I care to mention.
Mine always seemed to start dripping from around the hinge area but only when there was prolonged rain.

I have a feeling mine must be coming from the same place and because my vans parked on a slope the water runs back to those corners.

Do they just adjust the tailgate when you take it back?

Depends pal they might go down the route of changing the 3rd brake light (know water ingress problem) they did this on my last one first. Then changed the tailgate seal, adjusted the tailgate with the rubber stoppers to no avail then adjusted it with the hinges.
Let’s just say I’m on first name terms with all the service staff :slow rofl:

I started to silent coat the tailgate on my van. When I took the trim off there was a small amount of water in the tailgate (mostly where Im pointing in the pic). I had wiped it with a cloth before I thought about taking the photo.
I cant imagine where it is coming from.

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 18.47.57.png

I started to silent coat the tailgate on my van. When I took the trim off there was a small amount of water in the tailgate (mostly where Im pointing in the pic). I had wiped it with a cloth before I thought about taking the photo.
I cant imagine where it is coming from.

View attachment 32850
3rd brake light would be the main suspect.

Thanks, I will do a bit of investigating at the weekend.
If you have any water inside the tailgate, there really is no other way thstbit is going to get in there other than through the high level brake light. Extremely common problem and VW don’t even tend to quibble about it, they just snap it out and bosh a new one in. 5 minute job.

Has anyone adjusted their tailgate?
I’ve been in the back of the van just now when it was pouring down and it’s coming through the seal. As if the tailgate is not pressing them enough when closed.

Has anyone adjusted their tailgate?
I’ve been in the back of the van just now when it was pouring down and it’s coming through the seal. As if the tailgate is not pressing them enough when closed.
Had mine done at the dealer many many times, I’m hoping it’s fixed now.

Just an update,
Vw didn’t have any availability till the new year so I thought I’d fix it myself.
I worked out how/where water was getting in,
It was coming in from behind the door seal.
The seal had been taken off when the carpets where fitted so I’m guessing they where not on 100% or out of shape slightly and then capillary action enabled the water to pass behind and into the cab.
I took them off ,dried them out then using a small syringe I put a thin bead of panel sealer in the door seal. Seems to have done the trick.
It absolutely lashed it down over the weekend. :thumbsup:

Have you any photos of which seal you managed to fix, as my tailgate is leaking in the same spot....

The big seal that goes around the outside is the one I took off and reseated with sealant.

I did have a little drip come in from the top which a little bit of vasilean on the outside of the seal sorted

A693C42A-74AF-4B4C-A2B0-4C3437557A6B.jpeg

My water was collecting in the corners. I removed the threshold trim and sat in the back while it was raining and could see it coming through under the seal.

Is yours leaking in this place too?
Or just from the top?

BBF10737-90A4-45CF-832E-CA292B15F640.jpeg

Hi
The big seal that goes around the outside is the one I took off and reseated with sealant.

I did have a little drip come in from the top which a little bit of vasilean on the outside of the seal sorted

View attachment 33681
Hi have the same issue. When you say panel sealant can you tell me which kind? Did you just use it on the inside part of the panel? Thanks

H
Hi
Hi have the same issue. When you say panel sealant can you tell me which kind? Did you just use it on the inside part of the panel? Thanks
hi,
I think I used this from Halfords. I would check for the exact make but I gave it to my dad after I was finished with it.
I got hold of a load of syringes from work and loaded them up with the sealant then removed the seal and filled in the groove of the seal with the sealant then refitted. I took the seal completely off but from memory I think I should have left it on and removed it bit by bit and worked my way round. I found the sealant dried faster than I was anticipating so my plan to fill all the seal groove then refit didn’t work out.

7C004E8F-83DB-496C-98A7-25E07A892DB0.png

Back