Water In Step

Base1388

Romany - Plumber
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all

I've done the search and ill look in door card see if new aftermarket speakers are very deep etc

Had puddles in my side steps !!
Not there before went to converters NOW is, they had door cards off for new speakers and a USB carp-lay plug in door pocket

Any other suggestions please

Many Thanks

I was going to ask on the other thread why you’re blanking off your glovebox USB but this has answered that question. I thought of putting mine in the door but I’m left handed so I’m probably going to go for the cubbyhole above the ashtray.

On the water, have they blocked the drain holes in the bottom of the door? If they did the water has to come out somewhere and might drip out any gap in the back of the door card.

Easy assumption is that it's something to do with the conversion and/or door cards being played with but is it possible that the issue has always been there but never seen before, i.e. we have seen some seriously wet and windy weather over the last few days??

Time to get the jet wash out and see if you can replicate and/or identify where the water is getting in.

I have this same issue, but it is only when parked on a cross slope with the passenger door higher than the drivers.
I took it in to VW for them to look at when it was still under warranty.
When the inner door panel had been taken off as part of the sound deafening and speaker upgrade, it appears as though the sealing bead on the back had got crushed. This means that when it gets really wet inside the door, the path of least resistance is for it to come out of the inner panel, down the back of the door card and pool on the step.
Clearly VW wriggled out of putting it right saying it had been done by whoever changed the speakers. They didn’t like me pointing out that that particular dealership had been in the door subsequently to resolve a door handle issue, so to check their records as to whether there was anything that said they had found damage to the inner panel at that time. Low and behold there wasn’t; so I blamed them and said their technicians had caused this damage. Didn’t get anywhere!

Easy assumption is that it's something to do with the conversion and/or door cards being played with but is it possible that the issue has always been there but never seen before, i.e. we have seen some seriously wet and windy weather over the last few days??

Time to get the jet wash out and see if you can replicate and/or identify where the water is getting in.

Hi van is new !
I've done 1000 miles before it went to converters and we had some horrid wet weather before it went to them.
It is and was before it went parked on a bit of a road camber leaning one side or other.
No water on step !
Just last few days I've had her back its appeared !
So im going take off see whats changed

I agree.

Best case scenario - fault fixed & free of charge

Worst case scenario - you still want it fixed, but you pay.

Either way, it needs sorting.

Roof Bars fitted? I have recently replaced the foam seals on the roof bar bolts with some butyl rubber seals since I found one bolt on either side leaking. The one by the drivers door dropped water in the step area.

Thanks everyone

Converters are starting to blame the HiLo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 fitter blaming the other !!!!!!!!! lol

Tomorrow im going rig up hose pipe
Get Mandy to soak it while I lay inside and see where its coming in
Starting low soak and work way up van to the roof !

Do it with the roof closed first.. see if you have any damp tracking along the riif ceiling board.
Then, if nothing.. open and see if the gutter system works correctly..
Around hinges from cassette joints.. they may have missed abit if sealant? @Deaky had same problem at rear.. see his thread.

I've not got roof rails but have heko deflectors and had a speaker and sound deadening upgrade. Water is finding its way in and exiting from the bottom of the door card on the drivers side onto the step.Anyone any ideas as how to stop it?.

Its going in to skipton for some work soon so il get pete to give it a coat of looking at.

Back