Wash & Wax Time . . . . . . But Which One And How?

Try this
Caring for Your Vehicle Graphics FAQ Vehicle Care Release D, February 2016 (Replaces C, Nov. ‘15)
Care for your vehicle graphics like you would any fine paint finish. Using high quality 3M products designed specifically for car care and these cleaning and maintenance procedures will help keep your 3M vehicle graphics looking their best.
Wash Regularly
• Wash whenever the car appears dirty. Contaminants allowed to remain on the graphic may be more difficult to remove during cleaning.
• Rinse off as much dirt and grit as possible with a spray of water.
• See "Difficult Contaminants" on page 1, for spot cleaning bird droppings, tar, etc.
• Use a wet, non-abrasive detergent such as 3MTM Car Wash Soap 39000 or Meguiar’s NXT Generation® Car Wash or Deep Crystal® Car
Wash and a soft, clean cloth or sponge.
• Rinse thoroughly with clean water. To reduce water spotting, immediately use a silicone squeegee to remove water and finish with a clean microfiber cloth.
i IMPORTANT NOTE
3M does not recommend using wax or other similar coatings on vehicle graphics.
Automated Car Washes
Vinyl wraps may be run through car washes. Touch less car washes are the best for graphic care. Use of brush car washes (depending upon the frequency and quality of brush) may cause dulling/scratching/lifting edge of the graphics. For graphics care procedures see 3M Instruction Bulletin 6.5 for details.
Pressure Washing
Although hand washing is the preferred cleaning method, pressure washing may be used under these conditions.
• Ensure the water pressure is kept below 2000 psi (14 MPa).
• Keep water temperature below 180 °F (80 °C).
• Use a spray nozzle with a 40 degree wide angle spray pattern.
• Keep the nozzle at least 1 foot (300 mm) away from and perpendicular (at 90 degrees) to the graphic.
i IMPORTANT NOTE
Holding the nozzle of a pressure washer at an angle to graphic may lift the edges of the film.
Difficult Contaminants
Soften difficult contaminants such as bug splatter, bird droppings, tree sap and similar contaminants by soaking them for several minutes with very hot, soapy water. Rinse thoroughly and dry. If further cleaning is needed, test one of these products in an inconspicuous area to ensure no damage to the graphics: Meguiar’s Gold ClassTM Bug and Tar Remover or 3MTM Citrus Base Cleaner. Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) (two parts IPA to 1 part water) or denatured alcohol may also help. Spot clean the contaminants. Do not use rough scrubbing or abrasive tools, which will scratch the film. Wash and rinse off all residue immediately.
Fuel Spills
Wipe off immediately to avoid degrading the vinyl and adhesive. Then wash, rinse and dry as in "Wash Regularly" on page 1 as soon as possible.
FAQ Vehicle Care - Release D, February 2016
Quick Links
3M Graphics Warranties Technical Information Selector Safety Data Sheets (SDS) Videos
Some of these links lead to web-based resources that are not product-specific.

Caring for Your Vehicle Graphics
Film Restoration
The following restoration recommendations will help keep your vehicle wraps looking their best.
• Do no use any abrasive polishes or cutting compounds.
• Do not use any polishing or wax products on matte or textured films.
• Use if there is wax or wax residue on the surface, remove with an all-purpose cleaner.
• Table A shows some available products to help restore your vehicle wrap. Before using, always test and approve in an inconspicuous area.
Table A. Restoration Alternatives
Film or Finish Type Product or Solution
Smooth Gloss Texture Matte or Satin Texture
Matte White (1080-M10) Carbon Fiber White (1080-CF10)
Carbon Fiber or Brushed Metal Texture Carbon Fiber Black (1080-CF12)
3MTM Perfect-ItTM Show Car Paste Wax 39526 Isopropyl alcohol and water (2:1 ratio)
Based in type/degree of contamination, use one of more of these solutions, in the order shown, to remove any build-up:
1. Hot, soapy water solution
2. Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and water (ratio 2:1)
3. Simple Green® All-Purpose Cleaner
4. Household chlorine bleach; followed by IPA/water (#2) 5. Mineral spirits; followed by IPA/water (#2)
3MTM Tire Restorer or Meguiar’s Natural Shine Protectant Meguiar’s Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer
i IMPORTANT NOTE
Do not allow cleaning solution to soak and immediately rinse with clear water.
Store Indoors or Under Cover Whenever Possible
Vinyl graphics (just like paint) are degraded by prolonged exposure to sun and atmospheric pollutants, particularly on the horizontal surfaces such as hood, trunk lid and roof. Whenever possible, store in a garage or at least in a shaded area during the day. At night protect the car from dew or rain, which may contain acidic pollutants (a common problem in many large metropolitan areas). When a garage is not available, consider using a cloth car cover at night. If your graphics start to discolor or turn brown, immediately remove the graphics from the vehicle to avoid staining the underlying paint.
2 FAQ Vehicle Care - Release D, February 2016

Caring for Your Vehicle Graphics
Bulletin Change Summary
For the most current 3M Technical Information available to successfully use this product, please view this Bulletin electronically and click on the blue underlined links to view the relevant documents. This Bulletin has been substantially changed. Please read the entire Bulletin thoroughly.
Release D February-2016:
• Removed “Wax” section on page 2.
• Added important note in “Wash Regularly” on page 1 - “3M does not recommend using wax...”
• Updated copyright date in footer on last page.
Release C November-2015:
• Updated "Automated Car Washes" on page 1 and added link to Instruction Bulletin 6.5.
• Updated "Wax" on page 2 for clarity related to gloss finishes.
• Added "Film Restoration" on page 2.
Release B September-2015:
• Updated Product Bulletin to new format.
• Updated "Wax" on page 2. Added important notes regarding wax. Removed “polish” from this section as it is a fine abrasive and should not be used.
3M Commercial Solutions
3M Center
Building 22012E-04
St. Paul, MN 551441000 1800328-3908
Fax 651-736-4233 www.3Mgraphics.com
3M Canada
PO Box 5757 London, ON N6A 4T1 1-800-265-1840 Fax 519-452-6245
3M México S.A. de C.V.
Av. Santa Fe No. 55
Col. Santa Fe, Del. Alvaro Obregón México D.F. 01210
General 5255-5270-0400
Fax 5255-5270-2277
3M Puerto Rico, Inc.
350 Chardon Avenue Suite 1100
San Juan, PR 00918 General 787-620-3000 Fax 787-620-3018
3M, Perfect-It, Scotchcal, and Scotchprint are trademarks of 3M. Gold Class, Deep Crystal, Meguiars and NXT Generation are trademarks or registered trademarks of Meguiars, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
© 3M 2016. All rights reserved. Please recycle.
Many thanks for sharing this. Best Paul

That will do for me @Mud Digger just one question do you diy by hand? or with a jet wash etc?... finally have a bit of time to reply. Cheers Paul.

@Whiz i pressure wash down first then hot wash with a mitt 2 x capfulls in a bucket its slick it grabs a bit then hose down then re - go over with a hot wash and a gentle hose off it really shines up nice the more you use it it gets better each time but £18 - 20 a bottle but its hydroscopic to

@Whiz i pressure wash down first then hot wash with a mitt 2 x capfulls in a bucket its slick it grabs a bit then hose down then re - go over with a hot wash and a gentle hose off it really shines up nice the more you use it it gets better each time but £18 - 20 a bottle but its hydroscopic to
Many thanks appreciate the full response. Cheers Paul.

Quick Truck Wash :grin bounce:

Winter wash goodness. . . . . . Bring the Flames =]

@Dellmassive great video.
I couldn't make out the pre wash solution product and also what top seal product?
Is all this part of the Meguiars Bucket?
So how long did it really take?
Thanks and great to see A Master at work

That will do for me @Mud Digger just one question do you diy by hand? or with a jet wash etc?... finally have a bit of time to reply. Cheers Paul.
@Mud Digger So I bought the Maguire's Wash and Wax.... wow .... SOO IMPRESSIVE EVEN MY MRS RATES IT - She wants me to use it on her Mini!!
Thanks again for recommendation .... any other tips you can share about anything - fire my way!

@Mud Digger So I bought the Maguire's Wash and Wax.... wow .... SOO IMPRESSIVE EVEN MY MRS RATES IT - She wants me to use it on her Mini!!
Thanks again for recommendation .... any other tips you can share about anything - fire my way!

good morning and your very welcome i was impressed to so more than happy to recommend it wait till you wash it again it will gleam even better im gald it worked for you and dont it smell nice too Nick

after the hot wash let it cool a little just a gentle rinse off with a hose but i re - glove it with suds while im rinsing for a streak free shine....... its hard to see how shiny a Acapulco blue van is till you get lights on it i ll put a pic up

good morning and your very welcome i was impressed to so more than happy to recommend it wait till you wash it again it will gleam even better im gald it worked for you and dont it smell nice too Nick
THANKS Nick, smells just like me :slow rofl:

After reading this thread, decided to buy some Meguires ultimate wash and wax, and Meguires Hybrid Ceramic Wax, mainly to tidy up the car in readiness to sell it, whilst I await the arrival of the new van. Suffice to say, I’m very impressed!

Cracking finish and no fuss to get the finish either. Used the Meguires water magnet cloth to dry off, and so much easier than a chamois. So when the 6.1 finally lands after conversion, the first thing I’ll be doing is getting a coat of these on it to protect it.

I’m definitely a Meguires convert now - thanks for the tip chaps

I'm about to book some leave over the next week or so, to give the bus a proper detail, and essentially start my journey with my new DA polisher.
Being a parent of a 1yr old and an 8yr old though, it is likely that i am going to have to do this over 2 days. I am sure someone here has had to do the same, but i'm wondering if the best way to do this is to to the full wash process on day one, and then start the following day with the clay bar and then into the machine polish. That would make sense, right?
My logic is that the bus would be cleaned thoroughly, and then any overnight settling of any dust etc, would be removed on the decontaminate phase....
Thoughts?

Check out the videos by junkman2000 on Youtube. He introduced me to the two bucket wash some 10 years ago. Still follow his polishing instructions from this video. Its also probably 10 years old but works everytime.

I've been getting the detailing bug! Found some good information here: Home - Black Car Shine

PXL_20210505_090420555_web.jpg

PXL_20210502_144354562_web.jpg

This is after a snow foam, wash with Reset (which it didn't really need!) a coating of Reload and then using the Butter Wax. Have only used the Black light on the bonnet so far (after wiping it over with the Eraser). The Eraser works great on the windows also.

PXL_20210502_133416614_web.jpg

Tyres are looking great after using the Chemical Guys tyre and trim gel, lovely wet look to the tyres and the black trim looks a much deeper black now!
Wheels had a coat of the MaxGuard when they were put on a few weeks ago, it's making keeping them clean really easy.

PXL_20210503_181437741_web.jpg

The hydrophobic protection and water beading is most pleasing to see what it rains!

I've been getting the detailing bug! Found some good information here: Home - Black Car Shine

View attachment 114827

View attachment 114828

This is after a snow foam, wash with Reset (which it didn't really need!) a coating of Reload and then using the Butter Wax. Have only used the Black light on the bonnet so far (after wiping it over with the Eraser). The Eraser works great on the windows also.

View attachment 114829

Tyres are looking great after using the Chemical Guys tyre and trim gel, lovely wet look to the tyres and the black trim looks a much deeper black now!
Wheels had a coat of the MaxGuard when they were put on a few weeks ago, it's making keeping them clean really easy.

View attachment 114830

The hydrophobic protection and water beading is most pleasing to see what it rains!
Nice job mate, pearl black will keep you busy for sure.!

I got given some of this stuff for Christmas and have found it fantastic.
355F7670-3B01-4213-9215-D1DC42E84ACF.jpeg

Problem is I have nearly run out and have only used it on 2 washes!
It's £18 a bottle! I would have been a bit more sparing if I'd known. I think I'll go back to spending an extra few minutes washing with conventional car soap and wax, as that is mental.
Shame because it's fun to use. Check out all that muck turning purple! Got to love that but not at the thick end of £9 a wash!
D1C4A6E6-C37F-4FC3-B3D1-CE030329ACD3.jpeg

Meguiar's G180124EU Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner Iron Remover 709ml, Changes colour as it cleans! https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WP6PY68/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_HWRRFMPA0VA8FYQZS22Z

I got given some of this stuff for Christmas and have found it fantastic.
View attachment 142729

Problem is I have nearly run out and have only used it on 2 washes!
It's £18 a bottle! I would have been a bit more sparing if I'd known. I think I'll go back to spending an extra few minutes washing with conventional car soap and wax, as that is mental.
Shame because it's fun to use. Check out all that muck turning purple! Got to live that but not at the thick end of £9 a wash!
View attachment 142731

Meguiar's G180124EU Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner Iron Remover 709ml, Changes colour as it cleans! https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WP6PY68/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_HWRRFMPA0VA8FYQZS22Z
Santa was too good to you!!!

Back