Wanting to fit a Snorkel

RickT64motion

Hi guys,
Just seeing if someone could help me with trying to install a snorkel to my right hand drive 2017 t6 multivan 4motion. I have a fabricator who can make me a custom inlet pipe but he can’t work out how to get into the air box without going through structural panels of the guard. I know Seikel do them for left hand drive t6 but not right hand drive. I did ask Seikel what’s the difference is as the engine and air box are the same of left or right hand drive. If anyone has one fitted can you post some photos of the air box connect would be much appreciated.

Wow. Do I detect the makings of a bad ass 4motion on the way? Please no pictures. I'm finding it hard enough not going back to VW to order another T6 as a family wagon and fully 4x4 it out.

I even half attempted it with my current T6 with these bad boys

20180104_085808.jpg

Fetched the rims from a guy on Gumtree, removed the old tyres, spent a day re-furbing the steels, then had the tyres fitted.
Then drove home all excited to whack them on my van, only to jack it up, remove the current 19, and realise the 16" steels don't fit on a big brake T6.

I love it when a plan comes together, but hate it when I get it wrong in my haste, in a cloud of one of my hair-brained un-researched ideas.

I thought about a snorkel as I've had them on previous vehicles, but decided against one on the T6 as I was thinking of doing a mod on top of the airbox for the few occasions I would need it. Once you go that deep its going to float anyway.
But you may want one to complete the look.

Wow. Do I detect the makings of a bad ass 4motion on the way? Please no pictures. I'm finding it hard enough not going back to VW to order another T6 as a family wagon and fully 4x4 it out.

View attachment 16847

Fetched the rims from a guy on Gumtree, removed the old tyres, spent a day re-furbing the steels, then had the tyres fitted.
Then drove home all excited to whack them on my van, only to jack it up, remove the current 19, and realise the 16" steels don't fit on a big brake T6.

I love it when a plan comes together, but hate it when I get it wrong in my haste, in a cloud of one of my hair-brained un-researched ideas.

Hey Tourershine.
A bad ass 4x4 tourer is the plan only problem is I’m finding it really hard to get accessories from Germany over here to Australia. I’ve tried Seikel and Terranger with no reply from Seikel and Terranger take months for a single email reply.

Don’t think the snorkel will be a goer as the right hand t6 has aircon pipes where the Seikel installation manual specifys where it enters the engine bay.

So far I have a 50mm spring lift, Goodbridge a/t tyres, rhino platform roof rack, arb front light bar, arb gearbox, transfer case and diff breathers. Arb canopy, Camperx rear door base slider, 60L arb fridge, spare battery under the drivers seat, arb compressor under the passenger seat.

It’s done me pretty good so far letting me go to double island point, the fresh water track, rainbow beach, Fraser Island with guaranteed positive comment from people saying how good it looks and they can’t believe it’s a four wheel drive.

WOW, arb gear box?, Whats that all about?
Do you have diff lockers?
Very Cool:cool::cool::cool:

H
I thought about a snorkel as I've had them on previous vehicles, but decided against one on the T6 as I was thinking of doing a mod on top of the airbox for the few occasions I would need it. Once you go that deep its going to float anyway.
But you may want one to complete the look.

Hey Loz,
Not looking to do anything crazy with it just a few creek crossing on the beach but I want to make sure no water gets in the engine I’ve seen a few cars stopped on the beach with there air boxes all opening up having to dry them out as the car has stopped. I think the t6 inlet is currently 700mm up from the ground I’d be comfortable with it at 1m high really.

A man after my own heart...

I thought about cutting a hole in the side of the air box and attaching an upstanding pipe with a screw on cap. Then unscrew it and leave it open when your making crossings so that there is no suction on the primary inlet next to the radiator. My previous Touareg also had some pipes out of the bottom of the airbox with a float valve to drain any water that got in.

You got me thinking now Loz.

A man after my own heart...

I thought about cutting a hole in the side of the air box and attaching an upstanding pipe with a screw on cap. Then unscrew it and leave it open when your making crossings so that there is no suction on the primary inlet next to the radiator. My previous Touareg also had some pipes out of the bottom of the airbox with a float valve to drain any water that got in.

View attachment 16847

As my lovely wife recently said on opening my Christmas present to her “Another well intentioned disaster”

As my lovely wife recently said on opening my Christmas present to her “Another well intentioned disaster”
Blooming ‘eck, what on earth did you buy her an iron? A washing machine?

I did a similar thing on my old 07 Vivaro. The private road I live up is quite low and when the river floods it is up to two and a half feet deep.
I just fashioned and short angled duct that popped in where the standard intake duct went, ( which went down to the front of the van at just under headlight height), so that it wouldn't suck in any water from the bow wave.
I little bit of a faff to stop and fit before crossing, but better than a hydrolocked motor.

Blooming ‘eck, what on earth did you buy her an iron? A washing machine?
It was a ring.....wrong size, shape, design etc On the upside, I have been forbidden from buying her any more jewellery .......well, unless she is with me

It was a ring.....wrong size, shape, design etc On the upside, I have been forbidden from buying her any more jewellery .......well, unless she is with me
Nowt like a bit of gratitude is there!

Rick, did you fit the ARB AR40 light bar?

i can't really see from your avatar?

Hey Tourershine.
A bad ass 4x4 tourer is the plan only problem is I’m finding it really hard to get accessories from Germany over here to Australia. I’ve tried Seikel and Terranger with no reply from Seikel and Terranger take months for a single email reply.

Don’t think the snorkel will be a goer as the right hand t6 has aircon pipes where the Seikel installation manual specifys where it enters the engine bay.

So far I have a 50mm spring lift, Goodbridge a/t tyres, rhino platform roof rack, arb front light bar, arb gearbox, transfer case and diff breathers. Arb canopy, Camperx rear door base slider, 60L arb fridge, spare battery under the drivers seat, arb compressor under the passenger seat.

It’s done me pretty good so far letting me go to double island point, the fresh water track, rainbow beach, Fraser Island with guaranteed positive comment from people saying how good it looks and they can’t believe it’s a four wheel drive.
Do the ARB Breathers fit straight on or is there special valves? Do you have any pictures?

Seikel are not making a snorkel for the RHD T6 as someone pointed out there is other pipe work in the way when you come through the panel. If anyone solves the problem or finds someone who makes and fits one let me know.

If you're fabricating something, could you perhaps have an inlet inside the cab area, maybe..? You could always have a solenoid switched valve flap to run 'normal' or 'interior' if you wanted to avoid the constant inlet noise..

Just a thought..

Back