Wales! Suspension!

Donk

Now dormant
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Anyone line north wales - Snowdonia area. Up here on hols and van has developed a nasty knocking / clunking sound front offside.

I’ve got no tools and jack to get under and have a look. I was thinking something loose - drop link, anti roll bar or top shock mount loose. They’ve only been on about 6 weeks.

Just need to see if it’s a quick fix.

Anyone?

@Donk I’m coming to llandegla bike park Saturday morning I can bring you a trolly jack and tools there if you wanted to meet me there? It’s about 30 minutes away from snowdonia

Its likely the drop link , they look fine but move up and down in the mounts bracket . shocks them selves rarely make big noise unless they have fallen apart ??
Hmm. Did fit brand new ones at the same time though.

My new drop links had been on less that 2 weeks before clonking again. They had come loose, which Steve found when fitted the new suspension. I guess they need to torqued up just right to prevent the bolts shaking loose.

Last edited:
My new drop links had been on less that 2 weeks before clonking again. They had come loose, which Steve found when fitted the new suspension. I guess they need to tourqed up just right to prevent the bolts shaking loose.
Well I’m home tomorrow so I’ll double check that Wednesday and report back.

There are two issues with drop links one is they fail and there is play in the ball joint , however the more common problem is the mounting bolt moves around in the shock bracket and klongs when the roll bar is tensioned up

Oh ok. Perhaps it’s just ‘settled’ down now after all this driving which hadn’t been done before and needs tightening.

Mine coincided with a trip up a twisty Alpine road. The clonking and banging was a bit disconcerting 800 miles from home.

Another thing, has anyone got a .pdf of the fitting instructions for Bilstein B14 Komforts?

Thank you!

I was just hunting to see and make sure that the rear spring height adjuster should be fitted on the top of the spring and NOT on the bottom of the spring. Been having a bit of a “dispute” about it.
Nothing like a “healthy debate”!!!

Thank you!

I was just hunting to see and make sure that the rear spring height adjuster should be fitted on the top of the spring and NOT on the bottom of the spring. Been having a bit of a “dispute” about it.
No kit would have the adjuster at the bottom there is too much movement on the control arm . The Bilstein kits seem plagued with noises from the adjuster on the rear which we feel is poorly designed . !!

No kit would have the adjuster at the bottom there is too much movement on the control arm . The Bilstein kits seem plagued with noises from the adjuster on the rear which we feel is poorly designed . !!
Hmmm. So adjuster should definitely be at the top?

I think I’ll try something different from Bilstein next time.

Back